The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

I'm still not adjusted to university

Talk about what you have learned in school/college/university, and discuss with others.
Or you can simply talk negative about your teachers/boss.

I'm still not adjusted to university

Postby Hunneh_Buns » Jan 14th, '11, 19:32

I'm in my first year, second semester, and right now I'm just taking general sciences at the University of Alberta. My major is undeclared, I'm still not sure on what I want to do with my life. I am just doing horribly, my GPA is super bad, but not bad enough for them to ask me to withdraw.

High school was a breeze for me, straight A's. So before university started, I just expected to get B's and A's. I don't know why I'm not doing so well. I review every class for a bit each day, I get assignments done on time, and make additional notes out of the textbook. Exams go okay, it's a hit or miss.

So, how did you guys deal with your first year? Did you feel the same way? etc, etc.
Hunneh_Buns
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: I'm still not adjusted to university

Postby missangie » Jan 19th, '11, 00:49

It's my first year too! For me, it hasn't been too bad and where I used to live is not far, so I'm adjusting fairly well. A lot of my friends have the same problem as you though. Don't worry, you'll get through it and feel better with time. :console: :flower:
"I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may." - Fight Club

"Play with matches, you get burned." - Pulp Fiction

"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Slaughterhouse-Five

Autumn 2010 - Cincy Park
missangie
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby mcZu » Jan 19th, '11, 00:58

My first year went as smooth as lubed intercourse. Pretty easy, lol...
"Truth is limitless in its range; if you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."
- Lupe Fiasco

Follow Me!

McZu's Blog!
mcZu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Hunneh_Buns » Jan 19th, '11, 01:11

:(
This semester I'm only taking 2 science courses so I think it'll be better. And I'm taking 2 GPA boosters. Hopefully that'll help.
Hunneh_Buns
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Rollimeo » Jan 19th, '11, 01:58

I'm in my first year of University too and its sucking grades wise. I think its cause I am treating my classes as if they were high school classes and not taking them serious enough. I need to take my classes more seriously
Rollimeo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hunneh_Buns » Jan 19th, '11, 02:01

I'm taking it seriously, I'm putting so much effort into school I just hate how it doesn't pay off. Are you doing well socially though?

I think another thing is the grading system on the bell curve screwed me over. For chem, it was half science students and half engineers. It's the first time they combined the two to fall under the same curve so the engineers are making the averages super high.
Hunneh_Buns
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Rollimeo » Jan 19th, '11, 02:10

I'm doing pretty good socially but I have always been that kid who was in honor and Ap classes and never did any homework or the minimum amount of homework because I could pass all my classes by just getting good grades on my tests.
Rollimeo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hunneh_Buns » Jan 19th, '11, 02:20

rollin4em wrote:I'm doing pretty good socially but I have always been that kid who was in honor and Ap classes and never did any homework or the minimum amount of homework because I could pass all my classes by just getting good grades on my tests.

Ah well that's good. I just became a hermit and not really making new friends or anything. I started to hide away in the library. :sweating:

That was pretty much like me. Except I only took one AP class, and the rest regular because all my friends weren't doing the AP or IB stream.
Hunneh_Buns
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Bistnal » Jan 19th, '11, 04:01

Don't worry about now having a major declared, took me until last August to finally decide what I wanted to do. I'm in my second year but last year was a mess for me. I was the kid in hs that everyone thought was a genius, as in I'd have one of, if not the highest grades in class, but I'd never study for anything and still do good lol. So college was a huge slap in the face for me. First semester I did alright, but my second semester was a complete fiasco, to put it simply. But once you're used to how things go in college, it's hard, but manageable. The semester that just passed was my best, started being more social--in new 'environments that I'm not comfortable with, it personally takes me a while to 'warm up' and socialize with others--and I did really good even though I'm taking much harder classes now.
So good luck :D
Bistnal
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Hunneh_Buns » Jan 19th, '11, 04:53

But since I don't have a major, I don't know what to take in my second year. I used university as a clean slate. I actually read the textbooks ahead of time, reviewed everyday, and didn't wait until the last minute to do assignments. I finished my English assignment before the due date, I felt super confident about it, and I had people read it over. But I got a D on it, which sucked so bad. In HS, English was one of my weaker subjects, where I would barely get an A. I just did not expect it! I'm a super shy person, I just don't socialize. I'm not good with talking to new people.
What are you taking? And do you know what you want to do when you grow up?
And thanks!
:flower:
Hunneh_Buns
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Bistnal » Jan 19th, '11, 05:03

Hunneh_Buns wrote:But since I don't have a major, I don't know what to take in my second year. I used university as a clean slate. I actually read the textbooks ahead of time, reviewed everyday, and didn't wait until the last minute to do assignments. I finished my English assignment before the due date, I felt super confident about it, and I had people read it over. But I got a D on it, which sucked so bad. In HS, English was one of my weaker subjects, where I would barely get an A. I just did not expect it! I'm a super shy person, I just don't socialize. I'm not good with talking to new people.
What are you taking? And do you know what you want to do when you grow up?
And thanks!
:flower:

I had that exact problem. I was honestly clueless until last July. Honestly, if you have an inkling of the general idea where you want to go, like if you know you want sciences or business, take general subjects related to that. I know I wanted sciences so that's what I did. Some professors are just complete dicks. My math professor and the professors of a politics and business class I had to take as a general ed. requirement was like that. I had an opinion essay which I worked really hard on, reviewed several times, had my father review, had my sister review and still got a C so you'll get professors like that. But if you're working as hard you're saying, then you just have some fucked up professors, which sucks.
And I'm the exact same, I'm a pretty introverted person when with people I don't know and have a hard time befriending/talking to new people. So hopefully it'll get better, I really empathize because I was in the exact same boat last year.
And I'm majoring in Biochemistry. Hard subject but I find it really interesting. I'm not sure what career I want yet, but the good thing with Biochem is I have a lot of options. I can do pharmaceutical, researcher, doctor, etc.
And no problem. :)
Bistnal
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Hunneh_Buns » Jan 19th, '11, 21:55

I was thinking of majoring in biological sciences, but after my first bio course was done, I didn't do as well as I thought I would have so I'm put off by it. I still think bio is interesting though.
What's biochem all about?

I'm thinking if I'm not doing so well after my second year, I'm just gonna go to an IT school and take a 2 year program. Good thing about that is you're basically guaranteed a job after you're done.
Hunneh_Buns
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Bistnal » Jan 20th, '11, 17:25

Hunneh_Buns wrote:I was thinking of majoring in biological sciences, but after my first bio course was done, I didn't do as well as I thought I would have so I'm put off by it. I still think bio is interesting though.
What's biochem all about?

I'm thinking if I'm not doing so well after my second year, I'm just gonna go to an IT school and take a 2 year program. Good thing about that is you're basically guaranteed a job after you're done.

Biology + Chemistry lol. I just declared a few months ago so I haven't really taken any major biochem focused courses yet.
That sounds like a good plan. Hopefully you won't have to resort to that.
Bistnal
Role Model
Role Model

Return to College Crib