The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

English Literature Creative Task - Feedback

Talk about what you have learned in school/college/university, and discuss with others.
Or you can simply talk negative about your teachers/boss.

English Literature Creative Task - Feedback

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 17th, '10, 15:54

Okay for my A Level English Literature Creative Task I had do a piece of writing (could be anything) on the book In Cold Blood which we've been studying and it has to relate to the theme of alienation.

Now, I've chose to do a script and I've tried to show the contrast in the childhood of future murderer and the girl who is murdered, on the day of the murder.

If you havent read In Cold Blood, then it'll be pretty hard to understand so it would be better if you have.

Anyway, if you think of anything you reckon should or could be change, that would be good. Cheers

(Two scenes on either side of stage – café scene and bedroom scene. Light on Café scene)

Perry and Dick enter cafe

Perry: It was when I went to the orphanage…

Dick and Perry both sit down

And there were these Nuns. Those bastard Nuns. They used to beat me. Over anything. Cus I’m coloured. A half-breed. Or cus I wet the bed. For no reason at all. I was only 8 years old. No mother, no father, no sister. People who were meant to look after me deserted me or abused me. Damn, I hated those stupid bloody Nuns!! That’s where the dream came from (pauses)

Dick: Do I have to hear this stupid dream one more time?

Perry: Nah, I’m just rambling.

Dick freezes and single spotlight rests on Perry

Perry: But I’m not, it’s too damn important to just be rambling. The dream about the parrot – that beautiful parrot was what kept me going. That parrot would do anything for me – the amount of times he ravaged those damn Nuns with his beak… The parrot was all I had, all I had in this nightmare world… I had nothing, nothing to do except wish I was someone else, and time seemed like it would never end. Nothing to do except be surrounded by distrust and my own hating thoughts and so much time with these damn thoughts!

Spotlight switches to other side of stage with Nancy skipping around her bedroom

Nancy: So many lovely things to do and so little time to do it in but everything is almost perfect at the moment. I’m glad to have helped Jolene with the cherry pie – she’s such a lovely young girl who was so proud of that pie (laughs), but that’s only added to my hectic schedule. I’ve got five speeches and plenty of errands to make for my duty as school president work for the 4-H club which must be in tomorrow and I hope to meet up with Bobby after his basketball game.

Lies down on bed

I do love him so and hope I can see him later tonight. That’s if Daddy lets me. He’s awful with Bobby, because of his religious background, but I don’t see how that should affect our love for each other.

Gets ups and skips around bedroom

Anyway, this doesn’t stop my happiness. I’ve got loving family, lovely friends, especially Sue who I can always count on and the greatest horse in the world, Babe. I do hope to start riding one day but I have too much to do for that right now, but I’m sure one day Sue will teach me and help me. ‘Giddy up!’ (laughs)

Herb: (off stage, shouting) Nancy! Your dinner’s going to get cold!

Nancy: Just coming, Daddy!

Leaves stage

Spotlight cuts back to Dick and Perry in cafe

Dick: So what? You had a bad childhood? Who didn’t? Stop feeling sorry for yourself… we ain’t got no time for your whingeing and moaning, we got some damn planning to do…
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: English Literature Creative Task - Feedback

Postby GoodGirlsGetGutted » Apr 17th, '10, 17:18

Truman Copote is American.
The dialect doesn't sound authentic.
i.e., use American English spelling and colloquialisms.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the assignment. If I am, then you're good, and the alienation theme comes through strong.
Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.
-Matthew 7:12

-Chaos zawladnal światem po raz kolejny-
GoodGirlsGetGutted
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: English Literature Creative Task - Feedback

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 17th, '10, 21:35

GoodGirlsGetGutted wrote:Truman Copote is American.
The dialect doesn't sound authentic.
i.e., use American English spelling and colloquialisms.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the assignment. If I am, then you're good, and the alienation theme comes through strong.

It's not supposed to be written by Capote (this speech). Do you mean the characters sound more British than American? Cus that is something I was thinking of working on.

Thanks for the feedback.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Return to College Crib