The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Is Relapse "Prime Em"?

Random talk about Eminem.
Your postcount will not increase in this sub-forum.

Is Relapse "Prime Em"?

Yes
20%
No
23%
Yes (AND RELAPSE IS A CLASSIC)
25%
No (AND RELAPSE IS NOT A CLASSIC)
32%

Total votes : 44

Re: Is Relapse "Prime Em"?

Postby Rafael » Oct 1st, '14, 15:38

Some songs were amazing. My Mom, SS&D, SWA, Deja Vu, Must be the Ganja.

I can't really name anymore memorable songs from that album besides that.
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Music_box » Oct 1st, '14, 15:39

Rafael wrote:Some songs were amazing. My Mom, SS&D, SWA, Deja Vu, Must be the Ganja.

I can't really name anymore memorable songs from that album besides that.

What about 3 a.m. ?
#ProtectSSLP
Music_box
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Rafael » Oct 1st, '14, 15:47

I enjoy the theme and the concept of it, but overall I don't feel like it was anything special. I loved it when it first dropped though.

Insane can also be thrown up there... Its attempt at shock value was something I really liked.

If we're counting Refill, then Music Box is top 10 Em song.
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Music_box » Oct 1st, '14, 15:52

Rafael wrote:I enjoy the theme and the concept of it, but overall I don't feel like it was anything special. I loved it when it first dropped though.

Insane can also be thrown up there... Its attempt at shock value was something I really liked.

If we're counting Refill, then Music Box is top 10 Em song.

I used to love Music Box, but not anymore. Deja Vu is top 10 for me.
#ProtectSSLP
Music_box
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby TheGentlePlayer » Oct 1st, '14, 16:11

Yees!
Relapse>>>MMLP2
I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it.
Spent a million a track and went over my budget.
Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt?
I can't rap anymore, I just murdered the alphabet.
TheGentlePlayer
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby yoda you can call me » Oct 1st, '14, 18:12

His fucking flow on My Mom during "lick the fucking plate",is eargasmic. Dre helped elevate the album tons as well.
I don't really give a shit about this "prime" business given that I enjoy over 90% of everything he's dropped thus far. wouldn't be here otherwise
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Oct 2nd, '14, 10:14

No. But if Em was more comfortable and polished back in 2009 after returning to do Relapse, I think it would've been a true return to form. Relapse was an album where he was getting used to it all again, and felt a lot of pressure to follow up on... considering he hadn't dropped a solo in years. So that naturally has an effect on how you approach a record. On the album he didn't have to rely too much on his life material, which gave him creative freedom to do what he did. And Dre is a big reason why that album is the Eminem album people want a sequel for. Dre's said that he likes to get into an artist's head and understand their mentality, so if Em had went to Dre and had him produce all of MMLP2 just like he did Relapse, that album could've been the "Relapse 2" everyone waited for, since Em's mind is sharper now.
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 2nd, '14, 10:51

Music box >
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby EminemInsider » Oct 2nd, '14, 17:49

Relapse was Eminem rebooting the computer. It was pink cloudinem. Not that he was actually in the pink cloud phase of recovering from the pill addiction at that point, but rap-wise, he was in that phase. He was just so excited he could rhyme again that he wanted to do the rhyme equivalent of his 14 miles of running per day.

The issue was he'd lost his rap voice and had to train himself how to deliver lines again, and that other than the addiction, he didn't really know what he was going to do conceptually. Enter the accent and the serial killing stories.

So no, not prime Eminem, but it was cool to see because it was the greatest talent rap has ever seen going into rhyme hyperdrive...the computer spitting out the kitchen sink.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EminemInsider » Oct 3rd, '14, 07:48

Aone10 wrote:
EminemInsider wrote:The issue was he'd lost his rap voice and had to train himself how to deliver lines again.

If anything was on point with Relapse it was his flow and delivery, especially when compared to Recovery and MMLP2. His flow was as smooth as it gets, even with all the intricate rhyming going on.

I'd also argue that the delivery was better because it didn't sound as forced as it did on Recovery and even on MMLP2 to a lesser extent.

The only issue with the album is that it left more to be desired content wise, but I honestly enjoy the horror/drug themes on it.... I felt like he did an adequate job of covering other topics between Recovery and MMLP2, though I wish it would've been done as smooth as Relapse.

So while he may have been training himself on how to rap again with Relapse, I say he did a great job and was on his way to something much greater.... only to digress in that department with Recovery. MMLP2, however, was definitely an improvement from Recovery... but I still prefer what we has doing on Relapse as far as delivery and flow are concerned.

His flow was on point but he didn't remember how he was enunciating things in the MMLP/TES years.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Drax207 » Oct 3rd, '14, 17:55

SS&D, SWA, 3AM, Insane, My Mom, BB, Déjà Vu and Music Box (especially this one) are classic songs, Prime Em level. Unfortunately, even though the rest of Relapse / Refill is mainly really good, it's forgettable.

So yes, Relapse includes some Prime Em just like TES, but no, the album is not a classic. Even though it clearly has the potential to be ... Who knows, maybe in some years we'll look back and rerate it.
My Music Box, #1 Em song              <Insert Insult Here>            #Slumerican

Mr. Porter wrote:
csw621 wrote:
Mr. Porter wrote:I also thought he sounded off-beat.

Porter plz, don't you have a youtube awards performance to fuck up

As a matter of fact I do. Thanks for reminding me.
Drax207
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Him Shadow » Oct 3rd, '14, 20:27

Relapse is not prime Em but it's one of my favourite albums of all time

but what do I know... Arena Rap is in my Top 5 albums ever
Him Shadow
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Plank » Oct 3rd, '14, 20:40

Stay Wide Awake, My Darling and Music Boxes are some of my favourite songs ever tbh... Too bad he stuffed songs like that with We Made You quality songs too...

Underground is great to me, never understood the criticisms
They're fucking with the wrong people
Image Image
Plank
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Drax207 » Oct 3rd, '14, 21:38

Plank wrote:Underground is great to me, never understood the criticisms

Great beat, voice, flow, fantastic hook but the lyrics are way too random I guess. But still, I like the song a lot
My Music Box, #1 Em song              <Insert Insult Here>            #Slumerican

Mr. Porter wrote:
csw621 wrote:
Mr. Porter wrote:I also thought he sounded off-beat.

Porter plz, don't you have a youtube awards performance to fuck up

As a matter of fact I do. Thanks for reminding me.
Drax207
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jaba » Oct 3rd, '14, 21:46

Aone10 wrote:
JamaicanPattlez wrote:if Em had went to Dre and had him produce all of MMLP2 just like he did Relapse, that album could've been the "Relapse 2" everyone waited for, since Em's mind is sharper now.

Mother of god......

That would've been great. Although I feel like Rubin is his new Dre, I want to see them work extensively with one another. I love Rubin's use of classic rock samples and Em sounds great over them.

I agree. Em sounds amazing on tracks like RoR, Love Game, So Far, and especially Groundhog Day(pretty sure Rubin produced GD?). Em seems to be a lot more comfortable on Rubins tracks than anyone else's lately.
Singin' "Bagpipes from Baghdad" again
In my dad's drag draggin' a faggot in a Glad bag
Won't be the last time I make a dramatic entrance like that again
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Forgive me father, for I have sinned
But hip hop has left me brainwashed with a violent streak
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Shady Chit-Chat