The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Very, very little thing I don't like about MMLP2

Random talk about Eminem.
Your postcount will not increase in this sub-forum.

Re: Very, very little thing I don't like about MMLP2

Postby shadyblogger » Oct 11th, '14, 03:50

^ possibly true
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby csw621 » Oct 11th, '14, 03:58

Sslp the beats drone on forever Thats part of its charm
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 6PRDMD9 » Oct 11th, '14, 04:38

I actually love this. The entire album is him rapping as much as possible.
ImageImageImageImage
6PRDMD9
The Professor
The Professor

Postby RapGOD » Oct 11th, '14, 11:00

I thought it was because of the CD's maximum length limit. I mean most of the songs are between 4-6 minutes long without intro/outro so If he didn't cut them maybe they would've not all fit on the CD?
RapGOD
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby yung rom » Oct 11th, '14, 13:37

I actually liked it, it gave a sense of variation in all the songs, something most Eminem, and a lot of rap in general, lacks. Take a song like "Role Model." It's an awesome song, don't get me wrong, but the instrumental is just a guitar with a simple beat whining on for like 4 minutes. It gets boring for me. This made it interesting to listen to because you never knew exactly what to expect. Rhyme or Reason was especially cool on first listen because the second part of the chorus was so unexpected (his vocals), but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're referencing.
Charlotte wrote:Talk about cringe please, check your own posts in ANY thread.
Charlotte wrote:yung rom living up to his sig
yung rom
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rafael » Oct 11th, '14, 14:44

Interesting thread OP.

Like SWA said, I enjoy this didn't happen, but it would be nice if they did showed off the instrumental a little more on some songs.

I was going back and listening to MMLP and they did that a lot actually. Almost on every song. But then again, we live in a different era, where beat-dragging is pretty rare if not non-existing anymore.
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby ProdigalGe0 » Oct 11th, '14, 15:59

^Agreed

The legacy of the angry blonde lives on through you when i'm gone
ProdigalGe0
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Lost Myself » Oct 11th, '14, 16:52

It seems insignificant but more rides/fadeouts and maybe another skit or two could have helped the cohesiveness...Imagine the Legacy beat fading out with that violin type sound towards the end in a Cleaning Out My Closet kinda way as it gave way to the bass drums from the Asshole beat. It's the most awkward transition on the album as it is but it probably could have been the best if executed better. I mean shit, all the fan made track lists seem to separate Legacy and Asshole and put Grounhog Day or something else in between but I think Eminem could have made that work, and if those songs were on the Eminem Show or the first MMLP he probably would have.

But for the most part I think the abruptness was done on purpose, it added to that whole hard edged feel MMLP had. Em let the beat ride a lot on MMLP but for the most part the complexity of the production wasn't emphasized like it was on SSLP or The (mostly self produced) Eminem Show or Relapse. I still think it's his best produced album besides The Eminem Show and sometimes the rawness had a great effect, especially on Berzerk.
Lost Myself
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Raul » Oct 11th, '14, 19:42

DetroitSkills wrote:i dont like that either fml :'(

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Amadeo » Oct 12th, '14, 08:23

Oh well. The beat-makers are grateful, since it makes it harder for kids online to loop parts of the instrumental and post it on YT.
Amadeo
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Kippers » Oct 13th, '14, 12:36

I skip the Superman and SFTM outros all the time now. Just get on to the next song.
Kippers
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby csw621 » Oct 13th, '14, 15:15

out @ skipping the end of sftm
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Music_box » Oct 13th, '14, 16:04

csw621 wrote:out @ skipping the end of sftm
#ProtectSSLP
Music_box
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Snakebeast » Oct 13th, '14, 18:25

Aone10 wrote:
RapGOD wrote:I thought it was because of the CD's maximum length limit. I mean most of the songs are between 4-6 minutes long without intro/outro so If he didn't cut them maybe they would've not all fit on the CD?

I think it is safe to assume that this is the reason. The standard edition clocks in at 78:13, which gives the album a little less than 2 minutes left on a standard 80 min CD.

At that point, they should have just added that extra time to some of the beats for a proper fade out.

If I was an executive producer on MMLP2, the album would've been a 10/10 tbh

1.) I would have swapped Survival with Groundhog Day

2.) I would have swapped the Monster with Baby

3.) I would have removed Stronger than I Was and used it's 5 fucking minutes and 36 seconds for extended song intros/outros and a skit or 2.

4.) Evil Twin would have the hook twice instead of once. That is contender for best hook on the album and it only shows up once! wtf!!!

Rap God's intro was so fucking dope, the way it built up, the samples on it.... one of my favorite little details on the album. Also love the intro on Brainless. :y:

There were spots on the album that could have had a little more of that. Asshole saw him re-visiting his earlier themes in hindsight, would've been dope for it to have a news report sort of mash up from 2000 similar to Careful What You Wish For right before the last verse, covering the backlash from GLAAD, the government, other musicians, etc. etc.

I guess we've reached the point where we've praised the shit out of MMLP2 and are now noticing small details.... but tbh, it doesn't take away from the album... it's still a 9/10 imo.

It does irk me that the material for it to be 10/10 is there though....

dam

I agree with you on every change except taking out The Monster. Sure, the beat's not fantastic, but Rihanna does her thing and Em has some solid verses.

And as it is, I'd give it an 8.5.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Music_box » Oct 13th, '14, 21:14

Aone10 wrote:
bigray wrote:I don't know I like the monster a lot, it took me a while to really like it and I think the video is what made me like the song even more tbh

I would have done this in a second, remove Survival and add Groundhog Day. I'm not sure how you can fit baby in because I like the album how it is.

Yea, the video is one of Em's best imo.... still don't love the song though.

I thought Baby would've fit nice following the sequence of Rap God, Brainless, Baby, and then So Far

I think Baby, Brainless, So Far... is better
edit:my track list
1. Bad Guy
2. RoR
3. Groundhog day
4. Legacy
5. Asshole
6. Berzerk
7. Baby
8. Brainless
9. So Far...
10. Love Game