The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Analysis of Stan

Random talk about Eminem.
Your postcount will not increase in this sub-forum.

Analysis of Stan

Postby Troll » Oct 12th, '14, 20:12

Yo
As i already said i need to write a analysis of a song in english and so i chose stan.
What would you add and what do you thnink about it.

Analysis of the song Stan by Eminem

The song stan was written by Eminem (Marshall Mathers) and released in 2000. It samples the song Thank You at the chorus and was produced by Eminem himself.
This song is about a fan who is obsessed of Eminem.
The first three verses are letter from Stan to Eminem or rather Eminem alter ego Slim Shady (who hates fags, women, Britney spears and other pop stars).

In the first verse Stan is pretty normal and friendly. He says that their life is pretty much the same and that his wife is pregnant.
However at the second verse Stan is a little bit pissed that Eminem doesn’t answer him. He gets a little bit creepy and says that he has a tattoo with Eminems name across the chest.
He claims to know Eminem better than any other person does. In his life Eminem is placed even above his wife. “Ps we should be together too” that’s the moment where everyone should get that Stan isn’t just a normal fan.
But it gets even crazier in the third verse in which Stan sound just a little little little bit angry.
Stan decides to kill himself and his pregnant wife cause Eminem didn’t answer him.
He is in the car recording a cassette to Eminem and driving. He says that he loves Eminem and they could have been together but now it is too late.
In the background you hear his wife screaming.
”See Slim, shut up bitch! I'm tryin' to talk!
Hey Slim, that's my girlfriend screamin' in the trunk
But I didn't slit her throat, I just tied her up, see I ain't like you
'Cause if she suffocates she'll suffer more, and then she'll die too”
So he is a “Stan” to the end, he even copies Eminem in his murderous rages. The “girlfriend in the trunk” scenario comes from Eminem’s “father/daughter bonding” song: “‘97 Bonnie and Clyde”(In which Eminem kills his own wife, too.
Although Stan, being a true obsessive, knows that in the song, the woman was already dead when Eminem dumped her in the lake. He’s going to go one better, and have his girlfriend suffocate after being dumped in the water. We know she’s alive in the trunk because we hear her screaming from “See Slim?” up until the car hits the water…
The ending of this verse “Well, gotta go, I'm almost at the bridge now” has a triple meaning:

1. Obviously Stan is headed for the bridge in his car.

3. The place of the bridge is also highly symbolical: the bridge is the passage between life and death, and a passage that you can choose to cross or not, which relates to suicide. Note that the choice that this bridge supposes is not to be made any more, Stan already “gotta” commit suicide, his preparations bind him. “Well” maybe expresses a bit of regret, but it is already too late anyway.

4. As listeners, we are almost at the bridge of the song. Musically, the sound effects and haunting bass line bridge the gap between Stan’s verses and Eminem’s response in verse 4.(Quoted from Rapgenius).

Anyway then the bridge of the song comes in and afterwards the last verse starts.
The last verse is the long anticipated answer of Eminem.
Eminem says that he is sorry about not answering Stan but he has been busy.
He says that Stan and his wife need each other and that he thinks Stan is crazy and needs help.
“I seen this one shit on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick
Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge
And had his girlfriend in the trunk, and she was pregnant with his kid
And in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to
Come to think about, his name was, it was you
Damn!”
So Eminem realizes that his letter comes too late and Stan already killed himself.

I think that song is genius cause at the first look the song is just about a crazy Fan but when you look a little bit deeper in hit you will realize that song is about more. It is an answer from Eminem to all his critics. Stan is a crazy dude who is bad to his wife and is an angry blond guy who hates the world and is pissed on about everybody. Those are all things which Eminem got critic for. But then Eminem answers him in a nice and friendly way that he should just calm down and treat his wife better. So this shows Eminem is just playing a character in his songs and in real life he is a lot of different.

In any case this song had a big impact on the music industry and Stan became a slang for a crazy fan.
At the 2001 Grammy Awards, when he was facing all manner of criticism from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation over his lyrics, Eminem responded by performing "Stan" with singer Elton John, who is openly gay, singing the refrain.
The song ranked number 15 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop, and number 2 on their Countdown Millennium Songs. And it got ranked as the 10th Best Song of the decade by Rolling Stone magazine, the same magazine listed the song at their list of the 500 best songs of all time.
Eminem made a sequel to this song in 2013.
Last edited by Troll on Oct 12th, '14, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Jay-z is the best!!!!!
Troll
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Opinion

Postby csw621 » Oct 12th, '14, 21:05

Matthew and Stan's just symbolic of you not knowing what have until it's gone. Nice analysis doe :b:
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Opinion

Postby Notalius » Oct 12th, '14, 21:22

Song wasn't produced by Em as far as I know

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: Analysis of Stan

Postby Never_Enough » Oct 12th, '14, 22:41

It was produced by The 45 King, actually :y:
Never_Enough
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Sea triscuit » Oct 13th, '14, 01:55

You kind of brush off the first verse, I would go into a little more detail on that, nice job otherwise tho
Sea triscuit
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SliK » Oct 13th, '14, 04:30

Never_Enough wrote:It was produced by The 45 King, actually :y:

Yes, this is correct.

I wrote this up a few months ago, feel free to have a read if you want.

SliK wrote:Aight I'm not the best at expressing myself and getting my point across, maybe EminemBase can rework this for me and have y'all believing :heh:

Eminem was the most controversial rapper in the world in 2000 when he released The Marshall Mathers LP. I remember when Stan was released the media went nuts. In Australia, there are movements to ban him from entering the country and polluting our youth (me and my generation). GLAAD and a number of other groups protested his lyrics and so forth, on an album that was completely reactionary and satirical. The stand out of this album to me, and indeed Eminem's catalogue of music is the song "Stan". I think it shows maturity far beyond his years and is artistically and creatively beautiful, as well as being executed so brilliantly.

The parallel between Marshall Mathers and Matthew, which is all but confirmed in Bad Guy ("Bitch I even have your initials!"), adds a very personal touch to a song completely based in fantasy. Eminem had an uncle, Ronnie, who killed himself which Eminem is drawing on to paint a vivid picture of someone's decent to helplessness.

Despite this, the song does have a positive message. Eminem tells Stan "I really think you and your girlfriend need each other" while Stan ignores her over his obsession with Eminem which ultimately kills them both. Eminem tells him this in a song that deals very heavily with loss because he wants Stan to realize he has people who care about him like his girlfriend, and like Matthew, just like Ronnie did. In Bad Guy, Eminem emphasizes this point to those that still don't get it ("Matthew and Stan's just symbolic of you not knowing what you have til it's gone"). The positive message in this song just isn't delivered in a way like it is in "Lose Yourself" or "Sing for the Moment", where he spoon feeds it to you, it's delivered brilliantly in a chilling story of a deranged fan, where you need to find the positive message amongst a series of terrible events. That's exactly how it is in life, nobody spoon feeds you all the answers to life but they are there if you look.

The true genius of this song, I think, is the maturity in the final verse where Eminem is rapping as himself. He displays a maturity unseen by Eminem in his music until this point, and without it, the message would not resonate so strong (from the guy who "JUST DONT GIVE A FUUUUUCK!"). Eminem litters his final verse with his actual opinion (not the outlandish claims we are used to hearing on his albums) like the importance of therapy and resolving problems without violence and the importance of treating mental illnesses like depression ("I think you need some counseling to help your ass from bouncing off the walls when you get down some"), anti-suicide/self-harm ("what's this shit you said about you like to cut your wrist too? I say that shits just clowning dog how fucked up is you?"), gender equality ("Maybe you just need to treat her better") and makes it perfectly clear just how fucked up he knows the things he says actually are ("I seen this one shit on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick!").

This song is so abstract but it fits absolutely perfectly with the theme of the album, but I think his execution on this is on another level. It's so subtle most people miss it and it's one of the most fundamentally important songs of the album and ultimately his career. One of, if not the greatest hip-hop songs of all time.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Oct 13th, '14, 05:35

Menzo wrote:Stanalysis*

Nailed it.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Troll » Oct 13th, '14, 07:39

Basedshady wrote:Some guy really liked eminem and jacked off to pictures of him on to his wifes face and vagina then he got ma he couldnt jack off on to ems face and killed everyone except eminem the end fuck your thread

Shut up

And to the others thank you for the feedback
Jay-z is the best!!!!!
Troll
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby shadyblogger » Oct 17th, '14, 03:51

SliK wrote:
Never_Enough wrote:It was produced by The 45 King, actually :y:

Yes, this is correct.

I wrote this up a few months ago, feel free to have a read if you want.

SliK wrote:Aight I'm not the best at expressing myself and getting my point across, maybe EminemBase can rework this for me and have y'all believing :heh:

Eminem was the most controversial rapper in the world in 2000 when he released The Marshall Mathers LP. I remember when Stan was released the media went nuts. In Australia, there are movements to ban him from entering the country and polluting our youth (me and my generation). GLAAD and a number of other groups protested his lyrics and so forth, on an album that was completely reactionary and satirical. The stand out of this album to me, and indeed Eminem's catalogue of music is the song "Stan". I think it shows maturity far beyond his years and is artistically and creatively beautiful, as well as being executed so brilliantly.

The parallel between Marshall Mathers and Matthew, which is all but confirmed in Bad Guy ("Bitch I even have your initials!"), adds a very personal touch to a song completely based in fantasy. Eminem had an uncle, Ronnie, who killed himself which Eminem is drawing on to paint a vivid picture of someone's decent to helplessness.

Despite this, the song does have a positive message. Eminem tells Stan "I really think you and your girlfriend need each other" while Stan ignores her over his obsession with Eminem which ultimately kills them both. Eminem tells him this in a song that deals very heavily with loss because he wants Stan to realize he has people who care about him like his girlfriend, and like Matthew, just like Ronnie did. In Bad Guy, Eminem emphasizes this point to those that still don't get it ("Matthew and Stan's just symbolic of you not knowing what you have til it's gone"). The positive message in this song just isn't delivered in a way like it is in "Lose Yourself" or "Sing for the Moment", where he spoon feeds it to you, it's delivered brilliantly in a chilling story of a deranged fan, where you need to find the positive message amongst a series of terrible events. That's exactly how it is in life, nobody spoon feeds you all the answers to life but they are there if you look.

The true genius of this song, I think, is the maturity in the final verse where Eminem is rapping as himself. He displays a maturity unseen by Eminem in his music until this point, and without it, the message would not resonate so strong (from the guy who "JUST DONT GIVE A FUUUUUCK!"). Eminem litters his final verse with his actual opinion (not the outlandish claims we are used to hearing on his albums) like the importance of therapy and resolving problems without violence and the importance of treating mental illnesses like depression ("I think you need some counseling to help your ass from bouncing off the walls when you get down some"), anti-suicide/self-harm ("what's this shit you said about you like to cut your wrist too? I say that shits just clowning dog how fucked up is you?"), gender equality ("Maybe you just need to treat her better") and makes it perfectly clear just how fucked up he knows the things he says actually are ("I seen this one shit on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick!").

This song is so abstract but it fits absolutely perfectly with the theme of the album, but I think his execution on this is on another level. It's so subtle most people miss it and it's one of the most fundamentally important songs of the album and ultimately his career. One of, if not the greatest hip-hop songs of all time.

Interesting analysis :y: I liked it. Stan is quite possibly Em's greatest song.
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby metsfan1121 » Oct 17th, '14, 04:33

Depending on your class, that could be a great or not too good paper. If you're in early high school, leave it because it's fine. If you're in college, I'd recommend visiting the writing center, library, or whatever your school's equivalent is. The content is solid but the grammar and style could use a lot of editing if you want to do well.
metsfan1121
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Shady Chit-Chat