The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Love the myth that prime Eminem was a gay basher

Random talk about Eminem.
Your postcount will not increase in this sub-forum.

Re: Love the myth that prime Eminem was a gay basher

Postby boonim » Nov 15th, '14, 09:06

Basedshady wrote:Uh, I mean i'm probably the least sensitive gay person in the world but you people who have never experienced verbal abuse or really have any words that really strike you to the core cant talk for gay people alright? Like i'm sorry but using degrading language like that in any context is just as shocking/offensive as using the word nigger to offend black people. I could care less if people think it's okay because Eminem has gay friends.

But the language it self doesn't mean anything as far as Eminem's relationship with being a homophobic gay basher or not.

That being said I get it, he did it for controversy and was generally just fucking around, I mean it'd be dumb to doubt that is was just Eminem being himself at the same and pushing the envelope a little. Not like he hadn't done it before for some attention, it was the equivalent of the wife-in-river stuff going on in SSLP.

That being said, you people would be empathy-lacking idiots to not realize why all those gay-rights protesters got so mad at Eminem. Language like this especially in a time where the world was a fair bit less gay-friendly is part of the problem, just because they didn't go through his current discography and watch all his interviews and shit doesn't mean they didn't have a right to be angry about stupid fucking words that degrade people.

What i'm really trying to get at is no, you're right, Eminem is not a homophobe, on the same album he even has a line where he's basically like "Y no gay marriage?" it's just the language he used that upset people and it's pretty clear why, not having a sense of perspective about it is awfully stupid.

However, in the modern day especially I think this is the kind of thing that with time has cheapened MMLP and I've seen a lot of people just kind of react to it like "What the fuck is this garbage?" in recent years due to stuff like this. Eminem being edgy in 2000 makes him look like an insensitive little kid to a first time listener rather than some villian who fought for free speech or whatever the fuck at the time.

Those are just my honestly, pretty neutral in regards to eminem himself thoughts. All you straight white people can keep talking for gay people and how they shouldn't be offended though.

This is an interesting viewpoint and raises bigger questions about art itself - how to understand and interpret art and how it impacts society.

In my view, context is everything. Not just in music, but life in general. The song Criminal, especially has harsh, anti-gay language, but the context for this lines is in the song itself, not to mention MMLP as a whole. To completely ignore that, and label Eminem as a gay-bashing homophobe and organize protests against him is a bit extreme imho. However, here also context is everything. 2000s was a bad time for the gay community with discrimination and hatred at intolerable levels (I only have second-hand info, I wasn't there). So, how do you mobilise this community and its supporters to come out in numbers and raise awareness? Well, you identify a tangible target, and whip up some emotions. The rest follows. And it really is difficult to unequivocally condemn this tactic considering the context.

With respect to Eminem himself, obviously none of us know him personally, so we only have his public interviews, songs, etc. to base our opinion on. So far as I can see, Em has an almost single point agenda -- that is to show people how good he is at his art, to continue pushing boundaries in rap and music. This includes sheer technical prowess in rhyming, clever wordplay and quite frankly the ability to say things in a no-holds-barred way. It seems that he feels/felt singled out for no good reason for his lyrics. His agenda was neither political nor social to begin with. And now he was right in the middle of that agenda. So his reaction is to push back as hard as he can and we know how obsessive he is about these things. The attitudes which were formed at that time haven't particularly softened or changed. And Eminem is in no mood to change it.

So, I specific response to BasedShady's point about feeling degraded when Em uses specific slurs -- imo, there is no right art or wrong art, only art which is or is not to your taste. Using art to push social and political agendas is something people do, both artists and others. In Em's case there is no such agenda from his side (so far as we can see). But others have and will use Em's music (and other things) to further their agenda. We as his fans can/should try to do is explain the context of both his own music and hip-hop as an art form in general and bring attention to his lyrical excellence (if we are inclined to). Em wants a reaction to his music, and wouldn't mind if the reaction is not a negative one.

Ahem...sorry for the long post.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DetroitSkills » Nov 15th, '14, 09:08

good post boonim dam
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby TheBoss123 » Nov 15th, '14, 09:11

DetroitSkills wrote:good post boonim dam

yeah, that was a beautiful read. :y:
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ganjakush56 » Nov 15th, '14, 09:25

Basedshady is right though. Straight people cannot get upset when gay people question/protest the use of the term 'faggot' by Eminem, a person with an incredible amount of influence on multiple levels of society. While I don't give a fuck if Eminem says faggot or not, I am not going to condemn the gay community for giving a fuck either. They have the right to do so. Everybody is not a 'stan' who listens extensively to Eminem's discography therefore, a lot of people have a limited perception of Eminem when compared to the users on this forum. This is why many people are up in arms about Eminem's lines about Lana Del Rey along with all his other examples of female degradation. People getting mad about other people feeling offended because of the use of degrading terms are fucking retarded. Can you not put yourself in another person's shoes? Even Eminem can, touching on the topic in the 4th verse of Bad Guy.

The majority of Eminem's core fans are most likely straight White males, meaning they are not in a minority group, nor are they marginalized, demonized, or vilified by society. It is understandable then, that these core fans do not give a flying fuck if Eminem says faggot because this term literally has zero correlation to their experience. It is the simple ignorance derived from the privilege of not having to ever think about sexuality, race, or gender in the context of societal oppression as it relates to your direct experience. Its that simple. An example is that most White people do not have to think in terms of race because their experience is not racially targeted whereas most Blacks constantly think in terms of race because doing so is a motherfucking survival mechanism.

If someone has little to no exposure to the actual subjective experience of a gay person living the United States, then why the fuck would they care if the term 'faggot' is thrown around? They wouldn't, as Silk's posts indicate. It is completely understandable that a gay person might find this term being thrown around as offensive and if one cannot see this, they are simply retarded, sheltered, and again, retarded. Eminem knows damn well that 'faggot' is offensive in any context simply due to its fucking original definition. Just because the colloquial use of the term has evolved in some areas, in some demographics, doesn't remove its historical relevance or its actual definition. Once upon a time (less than a century ago), the term picnic meant "pick a nigger (to lynch)" where the White people involved would gather to observe the 'spectacle', bringing food, drinks, and their kids as if it were a sporting event. 'Picnic' in some circles is still offensive; hence, the reason why 'Barbecue' has become a kind of synonymous term with the current colloquial definition of picnic. 'Faggot' is still offensive and will always carry offensive connotations regardless of how anyone feels because of its original definition, that being a bundle of sticks in which homosexuals were burned alive due to their 'heresy' in the eyes of the Church.

Tired of seeing people feeling the need to call out another person for being offended by something like the use of the term 'faggot' as well as misogyny. Get out more in the world, fucking dumbasses.
Dimethyltryptamine ;)

Ego: the pathology of human consciousness
ganjakush56
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby EminemInsider » Nov 15th, '14, 09:30

Basedshady wrote:Uh, I mean i'm probably the least sensitive gay person in the world but you people who have never experienced verbal abuse or really have any words that really strike you to the core cant talk for gay people alright? Like i'm sorry but using degrading language like that in any context is just as shocking/offensive as using the word nigger to offend black people. I could care less if people think it's okay because Eminem has gay friends.

But the language it self doesn't mean anything as far as Eminem's relationship with being a homophobic gay basher or not.

Given how much more common it is for people to openly say "faggot" in a negative context than "nigger," I don't see how you could possibly be as shocked. What kid didn't get called a "faggot" or "gay" at least twice a day in middle and high school?

That being said I get it, he did it for controversy and was generally just fucking around, I mean it'd be dumb to doubt that is was just Eminem being himself at the same and pushing the envelope a little. Not like he hadn't done it before for some attention, it was the equivalent of the wife-in-river stuff going on in SSLP.

I fail to see how he did it for attention when it's ubiquitous in rap music. He certainly enjoyed the back-and-forth with the media as a result of the attention, but saying "faggot" as a rapper is as common as a low blow in boxing. "Oh, I heard a 'faggot' somewhere in there after he said he busts gats."

That being said, you people would be empathy-lacking idiots to not realize why all those gay-rights protesters got so mad at Eminem. Language like this especially in a time where the world was a fair bit less gay-friendly is part of the problem, just because they didn't go through his current discography and watch all his interviews and shit doesn't mean they didn't have a right to be angry about stupid fucking words that degrade people.

They singled out one of the few rappers who was genuinely on their side as far as gay rights. That's why it's stupid. They were just talking out their asses. While they were whining about Eminem rapping blatantly sarcastic stuff to make a point the way George Carlin would, Nas was busy telling a story about a guy who went around spreading AIDS that he got "from letting fags suck him off Riker's Island in 93." And this was not sarcasm. Reference to gays spreading AIDS - check. Calling said gays in this context "fags" - check. Somehow believing that getting oral sex performed ON YOU gives you AIDS? Check.

But let's instead attack the guy who bought Elton John and his partner diamond encrusted cock rings for a civil union gift.

However, in the modern day especially I think this is the kind of thing that with time has cheapened MMLP and I've seen a lot of people just kind of react to it like "What the fuck is this garbage?" in recent years due to stuff like this. Eminem being edgy in 2000 makes him look like an insensitive little kid to a first time listener rather than some villian who fought for free speech or whatever the fuck at the time.

And those idiots who think that should be eliminated from the breeding pool. They can take their Kanye and their Drake and fall into a vat of acid.

Those are just my honestly, pretty neutral in regards to eminem himself thoughts. All you straight white people can keep talking for gay people and how they shouldn't be offended though.

It was my privilege.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kkaniff » Nov 15th, '14, 10:21

Eminem's lines about Lana Del Rey along with all his other examples of female degradation. People getting mad about other people feeling offended because of the use of degrading terms are fucking retarded.
Can you not put yourself in another
person's shoes? Even Eminem can,
touching on the topic in the 4th verse
of Bad Guy.
The majority of Eminem's core fans
are most likely straight White males,
meaning they are not in a minority
group, nor are they marginalized,
demonized, or vilified by society. It is
understandable then, that these core
fans do not give a flying fuck if
Eminem says faggot because this term
literally has zero correlation to their
experience. It is the simple ignorance
derived from the privilege of not
having to ever think about sexuality,
race, or gender in the context of
societal oppression as it relates to
your direct experience.

What are you saying?
1. How is punching Lana del Rey in the face degrading to females or misogynistic?
Let's be total strangers to Eminem and assume that he really fucking hates Lana and he wants to punch her. The most that would make him is violent.
Is it offensive, yes.
Is is degrading to women, fuck no.
It might be if Lana was a literal avatar for feminism, but as it is now, the most you can say is that Eminem is a violent man who will not hesitate to smack a chick.
That =/= misogyny, as far as I'm aware.
Shit, I've even seen somebody on Twitter describe it as domestic violence.
There are a lot of examples of misogyny in Eminem's music, this however, isn't one of them, and it's part of the reason why this whole controversy seems stupid to me, society seems to pick and choose the things we should be offended by and believe it or not, the current outrage on social media about Eminem's apparent homophobia/misogyny isn't really because the world has magically become less tolerant of prejudices, it's because it's now deemed passe to bash homosexuals and women, all other kinds of discrimination seem to be pardonable.
It's fucking retarded.
The bolded part of your post is what actually kinda offends me:
1. It's a... how will I put this?
Offensive is offensive.
You don't have to be Black/a minority to know that racism makes no sense.
You don't have to be gay to know what words are meant to be offensive to gay people.
It isn't so much the words as it is the emotion behind it; everybody understands contempt.
the fresh David Koresh
#KanyeLost
#GrandeGang
Stuck out like a sore thumb, so I gave them the finger
There is only one God, the Crippled Godd
All I have in this world is a pistol and a promise, a fist full of dollars, a list full of problems...
kkaniff
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DetroitSkills » Nov 15th, '14, 11:00

fag fag fag
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby EminemInsider » Nov 15th, '14, 11:04

ganjakush56 wrote:People getting mad about other people feeling offended because of the use of degrading terms are fucking retarded.

This is an "ableist" slur. You used "retarded" in a negative connotation, which is offensive to people who are actually mentally retarded.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby csw621 » Nov 15th, '14, 13:27

I can't believe I didn't realize that he never says fag on sslp... mind=blown. maybe the mmlp-present "poke people until they want to knock you out" attitude came less from eminem and more from other(s) invovled in putting together and marketing the mathers lp. hmm
#teamitaliansausage #Encorefam
Never hit someone unless you got a reason. If there ain't a reason, make one up and start swinging.
csw621
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Just Silver » Nov 15th, '14, 13:41

I don't get it

Obviously he'll be seen as a gay basher in that era where barely any rapper said faggot
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby slims » Nov 15th, '14, 18:33

Sorry, but based is right.
So is boonim.
slim shady, naughty rotten rhymer
- not an original sig but one from a different site I joined before this one.
slims
Renegade
Renegade

Postby FriedSchizoprenic » Nov 15th, '14, 18:45

Basedshady wrote:
Melanie wrote:Sorry, but based is right.

The thing people need to realise is that I'm not really attacking Eminem for anything but his language which is the reason he got in hot water in the first place, it's as simple as that.

Reminds me of when Tyler the Creator got shit for using faggot then was like "BUT I GOT GEY FREND LOOK AT FRANK OCEAN" like no dude, people don't think you're homophobic really they're just disgusted by that fucking language.

I haven't seen a single post in this thread tackle my point in a proper manner or tell me why i'm wrong. Probably because i'm not. On the topic of the LGBT considering homophobic it's justified through his words, end of story.

Hear the clean version of MMLP then.
ImageImageImage

hi bro i have a question do you got a problem like a problem i can resolve what you mean you are going to punch me bro i just want to see aaaah aaaah stop stop is a prank is a praaaaaaaaank
FriedSchizoprenic
Soldier
Soldier

Postby boonim » Nov 15th, '14, 18:49

Basedshady wrote:
Melanie wrote:Sorry, but based is right.

The thing people need to realise is that I'm not really attacking Eminem for anything but his language which is the reason he got in hot water in the first place, it's as simple as that.

Reminds me of when Tyler the Creator got shit for using faggot then was like "BUT I GOT GEY FREND LOOK AT FRANK OCEAN" like no dude, people don't think you're homophobic really they're just disgusted by that fucking language.

I haven't seen a single post in this thread tackle my point in a proper manner or tell me why i'm wrong. Probably because i'm not. On the topic of the LGBT considering homophobic it's justified through his words, end of story.

Well, I did try to make a point about context. But if that's not a decent argument than I have nothing.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby FriedSchizoprenic » Nov 15th, '14, 18:50

Everybody can say what the fuck they want. But that doesn't mean they are right.

/thread
ImageImageImage

hi bro i have a question do you got a problem like a problem i can resolve what you mean you are going to punch me bro i just want to see aaaah aaaah stop stop is a prank is a praaaaaaaaank
FriedSchizoprenic
Soldier
Soldier

Postby slims » Nov 15th, '14, 18:51

I think you had a great argument and I agree with a lot of your points.
slim shady, naughty rotten rhymer
- not an original sig but one from a different site I joined before this one.
slims
Renegade
Renegade

PreviousNext

Return to Shady Chit-Chat