The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

We Still Haven't Heard the Best of the Relapse Sessions

Random talk about Eminem.
Your postcount will not increase in this sub-forum.

We Still Haven't Heard the Best of the Relapse Sessions

Postby EminemBase » Apr 17th, '10, 03:30

For those who don't know, the original Relapse 2 was ready to go when the first was. In terms of, the material was all there, it was all recorded in the same sessions.

But 50 even said, at that time, that the first one was a "treat" but the second one was "exciting". So even if it wasn't totally polished, it was pretty much ready to go right away. He must of had it mostly compiled.

Now obviously, he would of put the best of the material on the second one. Or at least... The most compelling. So 50's comment isn't all that surprising, you should / would expect it to be that way. Save the best to last. Em also said that putting out the second one would allow everyone to get "all of the best stuff". Obviously meaning that with both albums but...

Aside from the Refill tracks, that means the best was yet to come from the Relapse sessions and we'll never hear those tracks now. As Recovery is totally new material, he just made a new album after he started going in a new direction.

So think of that. As good as some of the Relapse tracks are, those were the LESSER of the two batches. We heard the weaker of the two albums and won't ever get to hear the strongest. I find that really annoying lmao. He could of just put out Relapse 2 as it was and done Recovery as he has now anyway.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Re: We Still Haven't Heard the Best of the Relapse Sessions

Postby forgot_about_matt » Apr 17th, '10, 03:47

After his five-year hiatus (excluding those three Curtain Call tracks, The Re-Up, and a few features), I think it would have been nice to release three albums within a year.
forgot_about_matt
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alaine » Apr 17th, '10, 06:05

Amadeo wrote:plus, i'm pretty sure the best of the original Relapse 2 was put on Refill

yep.

if the others left-over tracks are on par with Refill I think he made the right decision keeping them in vault, putting them out officially will only harm his legacy.
Alaine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby EminemBase » Apr 17th, '10, 08:45

Amadeo wrote:no, you don't know that Relapse 2 was going to be better than Relapse. you could argue that he'd want to save the best 'til last. or you could argue that he wanted his comeback album, the first album the fans have heard in 5 years, to be the superior one in quality.

plus, i'm pretty sure the best of the original Relapse 2 was put on Refill, ie Music Box.

i'm pretty sure if there were any BETTER songs, eminem would have put it on Refill.

Well no, I don't KNOW that because I didn't hear it. Aside from the fact it's subjective.

But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't of put the best one out first and saved a lesser album for second lmao. That's not really what people like to do with sequels. Generally, the idea is to BETTER the original.

And everyone was saying R2 was milestones on R1 in terms of intensity and quality. As for the Refill songs, I'm pretty sure he'd just put a good range on there and not necessarily just the best tracks from the album. But the tracks we did hear were already more intense and a step up IMO. I mean "Buffalo Bill" and "Music Box"... Wonderful.

And those tracks on Refill, I think it was like... 5 actual new tracks. He normally has 15 actual music tracks on an album and plays it through with a theme, like a movie. So 5 tracks really gives us no idea on the actual intensity or feel of the second Relapse. Like I said, it's more likely he just put a good range on there. Catchy single, tricky-flow murder story, normal-flow murder story, punchline track, feature track. God knows what the other tracks could of been.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Arrinef » Apr 17th, '10, 08:55

and maybe just maybe hailie will release them about 30 years from now

---- Image-----
Arrinef
Knight Rider
Knight Rider

Postby EminemBase » Apr 17th, '10, 20:33

Amadeo wrote:Eminem Base, of course 50 cent & anybody in the Shady camp is going to say the sequel is better. if he said it was the same or it was worse, the fan has no incentive to buy it.

if he put out the R2 record first & R1 second, i'm sure 50 cent would be saying R1 was a step-up.

remembering, of course, that most people in the Shady camp said Encore was incredible.

That's besides the point. Why the fuck would Em save the worst for last. If he has two albums there, he obviously thinks one is better than the other, he's compiled them in a certain way to set it up so it gets, MORE extreme. Not LESS extreme.

He's gonna want to top the 1st one with the 2nd. So unless Em was trying to hurt his own career and working backwards, we know that at least he would of thought the 2nd was better. Else why would he keep that one for the sequel lmao.

Amadeo wrote:& plus, R1 > R2 by the looks of it. none of the tracks on Refill match the quality of Deja Vu. Stay Wide Awake & Music Box are tied.

That's your opinion, I think "Buffalo Bill" beats almost any Relapse track. And again, he just put a range on there, you don't know that there weren't another 5 better personal tracks on the album. That was just 5 tracks. You can't feel out an entire album from that amount.

Amadeo wrote:1. I loved the first album. The second one, not as much.
2. I didn't really like the first album. Loved the second one.

some people would prefer scenario 1, some would prefer scenario 2.

you can't tell which one Eminem would prefer. which one Interscope prefers is irrelevant since Eminem selects all the tracks.

What do you mean "the second not so much". He didn't release the second. 5 tracks on Refill doesn't count as Relapse 2. He can't tell anything from 5 tracks from an Eminem album. There's such a variant and he creates such a story with it, that's nothing.

And yes we can tell that Em preferred the second one. Else he would of put them out the other way around. He's obviously gonna save the stronger one for second. Nobody would keep their LEAST favourite, the one they think is the weaker of the two for the sequel. Unless they're retarded.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Arrinef » Apr 18th, '10, 09:09

Amadeo wrote:
ArrineF wrote:and maybe just maybe hailie will release them about 30 years from now

eminem will probably still be alive 30 years from now :confusion:

im taking into consideration his near overdose on valium fucked up his kidneys, and 30 years from now, he'd be a deteriorated legend :'(

---- Image-----
Arrinef
Knight Rider
Knight Rider

Return to Shady Chit-Chat