The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Relapse -> Recovery = SSLP -> MMLP

Random talk about Eminem.
Your postcount will not increase in this sub-forum.

Relapse -> Recovery = SSLP -> MMLP

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 18th, '10, 12:52

I posted something similar a few months back when thinking of what people's reaction would have been to the Slim Shady LP and what people think of it now.

Relapse
What general consesus disliked:
-Accent
-Only few personal tracks
-Completely random lyrics

What people liked:
-Flow and word play
-Just incredible lyrically
-Storytelling

SSLP
What general consesus disliked:
-Accent
-Very few personal tracks
-Completely random lyrics

What people liked:
-Flow and word play
-Just incredible lyrically
-Storytelling

(by the way, I dont personally have a problem with these things, or believe some of it is even true but I know people do)

Most people say they want Recovery to lose the accent and have more personal tracks.

Do you think people were hoping for the same thing back in 1999/2000 for MMLP?

I know, back then people wouldnt have seen how versatile he is and wouldnt have heard any other different voices from him but it seems it would have been a pretty similar argument for the direction of the follow up argument

I guess in 1999 Em knew he would have to evolve to stuff more personal and obviously things in his life helped him do that but MMLP showed a side so different from the SSLP and I'm hoping that he is looking to do the same for Recovery.

Obviously Recovery wont be anything like the MMLP but in relation to the development from the previous album.
Last edited by MikeNUFC on Apr 18th, '10, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: Relapse -> Recovery = SSLP -> MMLP

Postby kevinh » Apr 18th, '10, 13:13

cool
no meaning in life

I'm just gettin high, gettin high
Think of suicide, suicide
kevinh
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Apr 18th, '10, 13:18

Well Yea I Personally Never Minded The Accent It Fits Songs Perfectly (Same Song & Dance, Stay Wide Awake , 3am) Those Songs Wont Work Without The Accent Just Imagine Them In A No Accent Flow Dude

Now For Recovery: - Em Is Coming Back Strong For This Album More Personal And Emotional but Trust Me He Will Have Couple Of Songs With The Accent And Those Songs Will Be Horrorcore And Good (Dre Production On These Tracks)

I Think The Rap Beats Will Be Handeled By Just Blaze ANd Mr.Porter (WHICK I AM REALLU LOOKING FORWARD TOO :y: )

So Its An Evolve From Relapse To Recovery Like The SSLP To MMLP Situation.

Thats My Opinion Thank U :wave: :smoking:
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 18th, '10, 13:20

Devil'sAdvocate wrote:Well Yea I Personally Never Minded The Accent It Fits Songs Perfectly (Same Song & Dance, Stay Wide Awake , 3am) Those Songs Wont Work Without The Accent Just Imagine Them In A No Accent Flow Dude

Now For Recovery: - Em Is Coming Back Strong For This Album More Personal And Emotional but Trust Me He Will Have Couple Of Songs With The Accent And Those Songs Will Be Horrorcore And Good (Dre Production On These Tracks)

I have nothing against the accent, as I said in the topic.

And I'm not sure how you know there will be some horrorcore tracks. I really don't think there will be.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Apr 18th, '10, 13:26

MikeNufc wrote:
Devil'sAdvocate wrote:Well Yea I Personally Never Minded The Accent It Fits Songs Perfectly (Same Song & Dance, Stay Wide Awake , 3am) Those Songs Wont Work Without The Accent Just Imagine Them In A No Accent Flow Dude

I have nothing against the accent, as I said in the topic.

And I'm not sure how you know there will be some horrorcore tracks. I really don't think there will be.

loook man em aint like ur averege rapper plus he is lyrically better on some horrorcore tracks so there should be but not like relapse maybe a couple songs the most :whistle:
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby Alaine » Apr 18th, '10, 14:23

what 'storytelling' track on Relapse that people like?
and lots of SSLP tracks has random lyric, BUT they were witty/funny, can't say the same for Relapse.
Alaine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 18th, '10, 15:15

Amadeo wrote:
Alaine wrote:what 'storytelling' track on Relapse that people like?

My Mom, Deja Vu, Same Song & Dance & Hello were all good story-telling tracks.

Add Stay Wide Awake to that list.

Amadeo wrote:Mike, i think SSLP has more than 2 'personal' songs. If I Had, Brain Damage, Rock Bottom, '97 Bonnie & Clyde..

I didnt word this topic very well. It's not what I believe. It's what generally people seem to think. Becuase of the nature of 97 B&C and Brain Damage, they dont seem as personal. I think emotional would have been a better word. I think Relapse has more than 2 personal tracks but the general fanbase/consesus doesnt seem to look at it like that.

I'm going edit the wording of this topic, too much confusion. It was more about what people dislike about both album, that made me see their similarites and the discussion about the following album.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Alaine » Apr 18th, '10, 15:40

MikeNufc wrote:I didnt word this topic very well. It's not what I believe. It's what generally people seem to think. Becuase of the nature of 97 B&C and Brain Damage, they dont seem as personal.

they're personal, they're partly based on true events which people can relate. Yes no one relates to putting their wives in the trunk, but love/hate, betrayal is what everyone has.

And it's really unfair to compare those storytelling tracks from Relapse to SSLP, they're very different. In SSLP they were creative/witty and very funny. In Relapse they seem awkward. I'm talking pure storytelling here.

When I listened to Relapse, I feel like it has no connection to listeners, which all of his previous albums pull off so well (even Encore has 'it')
Alaine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 18th, '10, 15:44

Alaine wrote:
MikeNufc wrote:I didnt word this topic very well. It's not what I believe. It's what generally people seem to think. Becuase of the nature of 97 B&C and Brain Damage, they dont seem as personal.

they're personal, they're partly based on true events which people can relate. Yes no one relates to putting their wives in the trunk, but love/hate, betrayal is what everyone has.

And it's really unfair to compare those storytelling tracks from Relapse to SSLP, they're very different. In SSLP they were creative/witty and very funny. In Relapse they seem awkward. I'm talking pure storytelling here.

When I listened to Relapse, I feel like it has no connection to listeners, which all of his previous albums pull off so well (even Encore has 'it')

It wasn't intended to connect to the listener (bar Deja V, Beautiful). The point of Relapse was to show he can still spit. To show he's still got an incredible flow and can still do word play. Which he's proved.

I'm not comparing the storytelling tracks from SSLP to Relapse - I know there different. I'm just saying, to me, they both pulled off storytelling well, in different ways of course. And awkward? I dont think they sound awkward at all. If anything they sound confident (apart from Deja Vu, which intended to sound flat becuase of his situation). I prefer the SSLP storytelling but I still admire Relapse's.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Alaine » Apr 18th, '10, 15:59

MikeNufc wrote:
Alaine wrote:

It wasn't intended to connect to the listener (bar Deja V, Beautiful). The point of Relapse was to show he can still spit. To show he's still got an incredible flow and can still do word play. Which he's proved.

I'm not comparing the storytelling tracks from SSLP to Relapse - I know there different. I'm just saying, to me, they both pulled off storytelling well, in different ways of course. And awkward? I dont think they sound awkward at all. If anything they sound confident (apart from Deja Vu, which intended to sound flat becuase of his situation). I prefer the SSLP storytelling but I still admire Relapse's.

well not like he didn't 'spit' in the past. I think 'Relapse' is kind of a period he has to go through, more like the album was purely made for himself, not for entertainment value, that would explain the 'connection' thing.

And don't bring Deja Vu here, that track actually has replay value. I was talking about the rape/murder tracks, when I was listening to those I want to focus on the wordplay to see the great but I keep thinking 'Am I supposed to take him serious with that voice?' example, 3.am, if he done it with the 'American Psycho' voice, it would be my favorite from Relapse.
Alaine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby MikeNUFC » Apr 18th, '10, 16:06

Alaine wrote:well not like he didn't 'spit' in the past. I think 'Relapse' is kind of a period he has to go through, more like the album was purely made for himself, not for entertainment value, that would explain the 'connection' thing.

And don't bring Deja Vu here, that track actually has replay value. I was talking about the rape/murder tracks, when I was listening to those I want to focus on the wordplay to see the great but I keep thinking 'Am I supposed to take him serious with that voice?' example, 3.am, if he done it with the 'American Psycho' voice, it would be my favorite from Relapse.

Yes, but 5 years out, he was getting back into the swing on things, so it was more about, as you say, doing an album, for himself but also showing he hadnt lost the rapping ability after tracks like Touchdown, Smack That etc.

See, your concentrating too much on the accent. Can't you just not let it get to you? At first, it put me off, but then I was like 'he's using for this serial killing persona, it makes sense' and helps his unique flows and just makes it so much more interesting. If he used his normal voice on every track it wouldnt make sense, not to me anyway. The accents were a part of Relapse I enjoyed. HE doesnt even use them on Beautiful, Deja Vu, My Mom, Insane, Hello (used to notice it but I dont anymore), Crack A Bottle, Underground, Medicine Ball, 1st and 3rd vere of Same Song & Dance. There's no accent on those tracks.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Alaine » Apr 18th, '10, 16:16

I'm fully aware that I let the accent 'get' to me, but it just happens. The voice plays a big part of the song, if I can't listen to the voice it's hard to focus on other stuff.
Alaine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Return to Shady Chit-Chat