The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

How To Rap Tutorial Pt. 2 by Slim Fiasco (Great Stuff)

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: How To Rap Tutorial Pt. 2 by Slim Fiasco (Great Stuff)

Postby classthe_king » Oct 28th, '13, 18:26

Slim Fiasco wrote:I did make it clear that wanting it badly enough is like the most important thing. And usually, it's those who want it badly enough that keep going at it and reach the heights they dream of. In a way, the "it" factor is to want it so bad, or at least it goes hand in hand with it.

It's not tho. The "it" factor is something that makes you creative and stand out from other rappers. Just go into the Audio Section and you'll find 25 people that could work on rap every day for the next 10 years and will never be good because they're so unoriginal and bland.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Slim Fiasco » Oct 28th, '13, 18:32

classthe_king wrote:
Slim Fiasco wrote:I did make it clear that wanting it badly enough is like the most important thing. And usually, it's those who want it badly enough that keep going at it and reach the heights they dream of. In a way, the "it" factor is to want it so bad, or at least it goes hand in hand with it.

It's not tho. The "it" factor is something that makes you creative and stand out from other rappers. Just go into the Audio Section and you'll find 25 people that could work on rap every day for the next 10 years and will never be good because they're so unoriginal and bland.

You should read Mastery by Robert Greene ;)

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby classthe_king » Oct 28th, '13, 18:36

Slim Fiasco wrote:
classthe_king wrote:

You should read Mastery by Robert Greene ;)

If he's making the same points you're making then I don't agree with him either. People are born with a certain potential for different fields and working hard may maximize their potential but it won't necessarily make them the best if their maximum potential is low. I could practice basketball for 5 hours every day but I'd never make it to the NBA because of physical restrictions.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Slim Fiasco » Dec 22nd, '13, 14:06

classthe_king wrote:
If he's making the same points you're making then I don't agree with him either. People are born with a certain potential for different fields and working hard may maximize their potential but it won't necessarily make them the best if their maximum potential is low. I could practice basketball for 5 hours every day but I'd never make it to the NBA because of physical restrictions.

That's a good point actually. I guess we can't expect that everybody can be an Eminem but you can still become good/great enough, and I'm sure that most wannabe rappers would be rather pleased with such an outcome.

Plus with sports it's a worse situation because unlike rapping physical limitations can play a role. However, height and speed aren't really a talent, talent is more of a brain power thing. And given that you only need a properly working mouth which most people have I hope, chances for success are bigger than for sports. But even with basketball for example, you can become really great at least in comparison to players of your category.

Also, guys like Kobe and Jordan, while being very talented are also the guys who put in the most work. Kobe is the biggest gym rat in the league. Or look at Em, in recent interviews he's made it clear that he pretty much raps all day long.

And one last point, given that rap is heavily dependent on a rappers' life situation, that's a thing that is outside of a person's control. Like, if Nas was born in Bel Air there wouldn't have been no Illmatic and stuff.

Excuse me for replying so late, but I forgot to do it back when you made your post.

*Had to add this too. This and whatever field one may choose, it's still mostly about enjoying the journey of building the skill. You may not even become that good or successful, but that doesn't mean you won't have more fun than even the greatest that have done it. And that is more important I think.

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Previous

Return to Hip Hop Domain