The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Dec 28th, '13, 13:43

*Just finished typing this, I know it's fucking huge but it's also fucking awesome and you don't have to read it in one sitting. I also think it's an easy read so at least give it a go and if you get bored/tired then, well, thanks for giving it a chance.

I've been planning to make this thread for a little while now but I can't seem to start it the right way, map it out and all, so fuck it, I'm just gonna freewrite it and see where it goes.

This thread is not meant to present me as the guru of music fans (even though I am) or as a saint among sinners but I just want to throw some ideas out with the intention to maybe improve your listening experience when it comes to Hip-Hop and all. I'm also not saying that these are all facts, but they're rather opinions and attitudes that have been very beneficial to me as I've gone through different stages of being a rap music fan.

As you grow older it's only natural that you mature and continually improve and improve until you hit your prime and expand on it while making it last as long as possible. The implication of that is that as people grow older they should grow cooler and smarter. However, if you think about it, how many 40-50 year old guys are there that you say to yourself - I would like to be like that when I'm 40? Probably not that many, right? See, it's because, the mind is like a muscle so if you don't work it out and use it, the shit will end up retarded. However, if you do use it it will only grow stronger and even if you regress in physical shape and mental sharpness, you'll still have plenty of wisdom and compensate that way.

So anyway, my point is that just because it's only natural to expect that rap fans will grow out of retarded stages it's not necessarily going to happen, and I know a lot of fans who are over 30 and 40 (mostly on Facebook groups) and many of them are still that little bitch that irritates the shit of you. With that being said, we'll now go through couple of types and then lay out some pointers that can improve your listening experience.

The Happy Kid

This is one of the coolest and most joyful stages, it's when you first get into Hip-Hop and many of us were there when Em and 50 destroyed shit. It's the stage when you are in love with this whole new thing that resonates so well with you, it's like when you first get into sports, and you probably have an artist or two that you're hardcore stanning, and nobody can tell you nothing.

The YouTube Retard/Hip-Hop Newbie

After a while many fans may get to the place when they've been introduced to the "real shit", the "real rap". It may happen on a forum or through any social circle of Hip-Hop "purists" where the Happy Kid's opinion gets clowned and the kid's not so happy anymore. Upon being bombarded with a list of artists ranging from Big L to Immortal Technique or whatever, the kid realizes he knows shit about the culture and since the Hip-Hop purist is deemed to be more knowledgeable, their opinion is more valued and the kid questions his confidence and taste in music ("If I was wrong about this and this, what else I might have been wrong about?"). In a shaky state like that, the kid's choice is to "surrender" and memorize a bunch of artists and then is ready to preach the message.

That same kid will probably go around his less knowledgeable friends or random peers and brag about how they don't know about this whole other side of rap and he'll try to impose his opinion through the same namedropping and stuff which empowers him in a shitty way. The kid will probably even get to know the music of the real rappers. This can actually be good because when an album or an artist has a social proof of people who big him up, a person is more likely to like it and since he assumes it's good and he's supposed to like it, he may as well force himself to do it and the emotions follow through. Of course, there's the other side which usually appears in later stages, and that's when a rap fan goes strongly against most Hip-HOp mantras so if Illmatic is said to be extremely great, the fan can say it sucks just so that he comes off as being different.

A hard-case newbie is the YouTube retards you see posting comments of how Hopsin is the new 2Pac, every Eminem song is the greatest shit ever, or the Golden Age Era dick-sucker who says U-God is a better MC than Kendrick Lamar, while some other idiot thinks Big L's freestyles are actually off-the-dome and not pre-written etc.

I also need to include and make the division of a rap fan who's just a rap fan, and the rap fan who actually gets into rapping. The latter is more likely to learn shit about mutlies and all, not that the former can't, and they can become elitists in the sense they dick-ride technicality so instead of looking at overall songs they criticize the lack of more advanced rhyming and stuff, but we'll get more into that later.

On a side note, we can list a subset of rap fans/retards such as:

Golden Age Era Bitch - It's all about the 90's and the Old-School, fuck this new shit. Hip-Hop is Dead. Btw, where is Nas so I suck dry his balls.

Underground Kings Bitch - Duuude, Tech N9ne, Diabolic, Vinnie Pazzzzz, Jay Z - Daaaamn - did you see the Illuminati sign, that camel face sell-out, it's the one eye Masons, but maybe it's the cum of Rugged Man in my face that blurs my vision. shitttttt

Modern Era Bitchy Boy - Kendrick, Ab-Soul, SchoolboyQ etc etc Fuck all the dusty motherfuckers I can't stand KRS-One, who the fuck is he, dusty ass ni*ga

Left Field Retards - It's the arttt, the abstract ishhh, what is life bitch? RIP Nujabes, I'll jerk off to your posters till the day I die and we meet again in the pink realms of heaven and the dry sky that feeds my soul with Eva's gold that Adam gave to her when he put his dick in her mouth. Oh yeahh babbyyyyy, I watch ANime porn, yaaah

So what are the underlying processes that lead to all of this? We need to dig a bit deeper for that and see how the ego and things of that nature get involved. Some basic psychology I guess, but it does come to that. I may not be clear with what I say next but you'll get the picture till the end of the thread.

Problems arise when a person's emotional state is all over the place and when you don't treat yourself nicely, the pursuit of happiness becomes a bitch, and since it doesn't even have to be a pursuit in the sense of obtaining this and that we may easily get addicted to those small and often pity highs that may serve as emotional spikes of some sorts.

But before we get further let's lay some points:

- Imagine that a person's emotional state has a center and more often or not we get higher than that center but lower as well. The higher we go the happier we are, and the lower we go the sadder. If your center is high that means that your usual state is rather happy and vice verse, if it's lower it means you're usually sadder. A depressed person has a rather low center.

- The best way to raise your center is to accept who you are but also to work on improving yourself and become the person that you want to be. Now in order to improve you gotta have some things to do and basically build an ecosystem of positivity. This may include all sorts of activities and things to do, as well as socializing in a good way i.e. being around people you love and who also love you back etc. Being positive like this is good because again it's rooted in that center of emotions, while things like buying new shoes or fucking a model are more of an emotional high that isn't sustainable; so if you go at it like pursuing the highs and not taking care of the center, your center will be low and you'll feel bad most of the time. And also, you'll get disappointed after each high basically, because it won't be what you expected, it won't FIX things.

*It's also good to remember that when you go lower and come back, the center is stronger each time.

With that being sad, people can search for highs in all different areas of life and try to get them as if it is a drug indeed. Music and in our case - Hip-Hop can be a rich source for highs. For instance:

Waiting for your favorite artist to drop something - The wait is awesome, the thought that somewhere in the future there will be something new is awesome. And when it drops, it's that emotional high (which is really good actually) and we do need to get more of those. However, if you put too much pressure on it, the expectations will be too high to meet and instead of a high, you'll get a low because it didn't turn out to be what you wanted it to be. That's like a junkie saving money for heroin and then not getting a high off it. He'd be fucking pissed and probably kill the dealer, or maybe beat up his junkie girlfriend.

This is also a problem because it can make us not thankful enough. Like, if we take Em, he's already given us a lot of classic material but that shit has lost value in a way (because we're back to center) so now we want a new version of that. But even if we got it, it'd still lose value or not actually lose value but we would go through the process of hedonic adaptation/treadmill which off wiki:

"is the supposed tendency of humans to quickly return to a relatively stable level of happiness despite major positive or negative events or life changes. According to this theory, as a person makes more money, expectations and desires rise in tandem, which results in no permanent gain in happiness." (i.e. what I've been blabbing about this whole thread)

So yeah, if you don't seek a permanent gain like that then you're better off. But again, waiting for new music is awesome and the experience of listening to it for the first little while is even more awesome, but we need to set up ourselves better and put us in a position to enjoy it as much as possible. That's not to say that listening to that music afterwards is bad; in fact listening at later times can provide nostalgia, familiarity, and refreshing of the memory, so all stages are great. It's like a relationship with a girl, the beginning is maybe more energetic but the beauty can live on in different ways.

Being Better Than Others - Oh shit this is bad, and it's a form of a more stable highs hunting. You see it with sports, when instead of appreciating skills people are more about my team shits on yours and when there's winning there are tremendous emotional highs. It's crazy. Same with rap. In a way, it's about not being sure in the quality of the music you like which is UTTERLY RETARDED. I repeat - utterly retarded and INSANE. Your favorite things don't have to be the best things as well. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't rate albums and artists, it's awesome for the sake of discussions and making the fan experience more interesting, and of course constructive criticism is a positive thing. It can serve as a way for things to get improved which would obviously be better for everyone. It's also nice to see how people perceive different things differently and to see what you may be missing and possibly gaining new cool insights.

However, the problem is when Agreeing To Disagree doesn't get established and it's about Winning an argument and putting other people down. Like, if other people admit that you're right, you suddenly get approval for your opinion, but music is subjective so you cannot be fucking wrong. If you like it you like it, and while, yes, a lot of things can be objectively better than others, you can still win or lose an argument in a better way. Even if the 2 sides agree on a winner it should be with no hard feelings and looking down at one another. Though then again there are the YouTube retards so you can be an asshole once in a while :shifty:

I don't think I should break this down further because I find these 2 sets to be explanatory enough.

So what's the overall point? - The point is that if you drop the resistance and the need for stupid ego gratifications you can enjoy music much more. Like, if you aren't worried that rapper/album X are better than you favorite rapper/album Y you will be more open-minded towards the rapper/album X and consequently increase your chance to have a new piece of music/art to love and get good feelings from, which is obviously a great thing.

The point is that if you don't expect for upcoming project X to heal your emotional wounds but rather to see what the artist has to offer, and he is more likely to offer something HE loved which means an authentic project (which is better than making what he hates but what you love), you increase your chances of again having a new piece of music/art to love and get good feelings from. That one is big too. Remember that artists would never be able to please everybody, and their best chance is to please themselves, and then who likes it likes it. You HAVE to Respect that and understand that even if you didn't like the project, at least it is an authentic project and appreciate the fact that the artist stayed true to his inclinations.

The point is that we as fans in general could greatly benefit if more people were more about spreading love and positivity rather than doing the opposite. That was Hip-HOp's initial goal to begin with. Take a look at your like-minded Hip-Hop fans who you consider buddies (either online or real live), isn't it awesome when the two sides share interactions, or at the very least observe each others thoughts? It damn is, and that circle could increase in the way that there can be many smaller or bigger circles/tribes of fans, who are interconnected in one big world of Hip-Hop fans, so if the majority are cool like that, HIp-HOp as a whole would be MUCH better and in return the fans will feel even that MUCH better. So in other words, what an upward spiral would that be, huh? :flutter:

One Love Y'all! Thanks for reading.
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby King Lance » Dec 28th, '13, 13:59

really good read :y: :y: :y:


can I copy paste that poste on The Coli ? of course I'll give your name and the name of this forum but these fuckers need to read your post :coffee:
Image












Image
User avatar
King Lance
Pill Popper
Pill Popper
 
Posts: 8188
Joined: Sep 11th, '12, 23:43

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Dec 28th, '13, 14:01

King Lance wrote:really good read :y: :y: :y:


can I copy paste that poste on The Coli ? of course I'll give your name and the name of this forum but these fuckers need to read your post :coffee:


Hahhaa, thanks bro! And sure thing, you don't even have to give credit and all, I'd just be happy if more people think twice about all this :D
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby yoda you can call me » Dec 28th, '13, 15:33

Yes. great read :y:.. It would be a better place if fans(including me lol), stopped competing with each other. But battle rap is rooted deeply in hiphop, so an emcees skills is always compared to his peers. I don't think that will ever change
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
User avatar
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence
 
Posts: 4048
Joined: Oct 14th, '13, 10:47
Location: Dagobah
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Notalius » Dec 28th, '13, 16:07

King Lance wrote:really good read :y: :y: :y:


can I copy paste that poste on The Coli ? of course I'll give your name and the name of this forum but these fuckers need to read your post :coffee:


they won't care. The coli is worse than ktt sometimes
Image

My Last Shoutout - My Last Will

http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175438

So kids, am I worth it ? Did I put enough work in ?

#GiveCanadaPureTheDick | 04.12.2014 - The day TR was closed forever

We are here now --> http://www.hiphopshelter.com
User avatar
Notalius
Band Leader
Band Leader
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Jul 26th, '12, 21:21
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Dec 28th, '13, 21:44

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll quote you tomorrow now I have to rest my eye (as some of you may know I had an accident). :b:
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Dec 29th, '13, 10:26

Aone10 wrote:Great read.

Would've loved to see what comes after the Youtube/"real"hiphop stage. I feel fans can go in many directions after that.


Thanks man. And yeah, as I was freewritting that couple of ideas hit me along the way, but some of them got scrapped by the end, and I went some other way with making my points.

But as for that, the thing is that I got into rapping and as you improve in that you look at it differently, you hear it with the ear of how to improve and as you get better a lot of things stop being so impressive. But you probably know about this already :) However, I may make some thread that would get more into that.

Aone10 wrote:Yo Slim, I made a thread inspired by yours

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168551

:b:


Haha, awesome man, I'll check that out! I'm glad you got inspired like that :b:

yoda you can call me wrote:Yes. great read :y:.. It would be a better place if fans(including me lol), stopped competing with each other. But battle rap is rooted deeply in hiphop, so an emcees skills is always compared to his peers. I don't think that will ever change


Yeah I mean, the point of sports is basically to win and outperform your opponent but Kobe and Lebron are cool outside the court, you know what I mean? So being competitive is awesome but it's the place where you coming from with it, and there has to be respect. Like, there's nothing wrong in getting into heated arguments about Hip-Hop but if you look at the DeadEndHipHOp guys on YouTube, even if when they do it like that you can still tell that they're all friends and nobody is getting hard feelings. Though of course, we're all human and we go through all sorts of moods, we can all step over the line, but you get what I'm saying. Even with battle rapping, people are expected to shake hands after it's all done.

mononym wrote:great read fam, ofc you already know i agree with everything that's written here lol


Thanks bro, and yeah, we in the same tribe, haha. :b:
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby yoda you can call me » Dec 29th, '13, 12:01

Yes i agree with that completely. :y:
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
User avatar
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence
 
Posts: 4048
Joined: Oct 14th, '13, 10:47
Location: Dagobah
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 23rd, '14, 23:40

Such a classic thread. OP is amazing :worship:
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby DetroitSkills » Feb 23rd, '14, 23:47

enjoyed the read :y: thanks
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
Image
User avatar
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader
 
Posts: 7255
Joined: Sep 7th, '13, 21:04
Location: Detroit, What!?
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 24th, '14, 00:07

DetroitSkills wrote:enjoyed the read :y: thanks


Thanks for checking it out man, you're welcome :b:
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Mr Change » Feb 24th, '14, 01:24

Slim Fiasco wrote: I know it's fucking huge but it's also fucking awesome


thats wut she sed



no joke though this thread is classic :worship:
Image
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
User avatar
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: Jun 16th, '11, 03:21
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Slim Fiasco » Feb 24th, '14, 09:01

Mr Change wrote:
Slim Fiasco wrote: I know it's fucking huge but it's also fucking awesome


thats wut she sed



no joke though this thread is classic :worship:


:laughing: :worship: that's what's up!
Image

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
User avatar
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2217
Joined: Apr 3rd, '11, 10:56
Location: Macedonia
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby Rafael » Apr 17th, '14, 02:48

Amazing read man. Great points, really enjoyed it.
ImageImage
True Wiz wrote:Rafael got pussy from a random dudes cum on a table. Rafael man. You're a real g :b:
User avatar
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Jan 27th, '13, 09:20
Location: Where they make that moonshine still
Gender: Male

Re: The Right Way to Be a Hip-Hop Fan #endthestruggle

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Apr 17th, '14, 05:34

Huge co-sign. I'm the type of Hip-Hop fan that has a similar stance to a lot of these legends do nowadays. And that is, I love the ignorant shit that's popular, and I love the lyrically-inclined shit too. I love the old school and the new. I feel like if everyone just shut the fuck up and stop worrying what other niggas like and dislike, things would be a lot easier. There are people who only listen to the ignorant shit, and that's okay. That's what they love. And there's people who listen to pure lyrical shit only. That's okay too. That's what they prefer. I don't personally take the ignorant shit seriously, but it's fun to listen to and it bangs. I'm not looking for life's answers and deep socio-economic topics from a Migos song, and I'm not gonna go to Nas for bangers and hype. The culture is diversified and I love that, there's literally something for everyone. In terms of what's going to make a lasting impact in the culture 10 years from now, nobody can truly say, because even the people we hold highly right now like Kendrick, Drake and Cole could fizzle out this year and by the time a decade passes, they're an afterthought (even though I highly doubt it). We can't keep acting pretentious because of what people like, it's all taste, and I think Hip-Hop's problem in general is... we tend to expect everyone to match a certain lyrical standard, and if they fall short, they're garbage. When we should truly be focusing on the impact that rapper has on the audience they're aiming to, the Hip-Hop culture, and society itself. NWA wasn't extremely lyrical, and in a lot of ways, their content is very similar to the music we have now. But their impact and legacy is definitely solidified because of the influence they had over the genre and how many artists became inspired off that musical style. Whereas you have niggas like Papoose, and nobody even gives him a second glance. The 90s had their fair share of Party Rap just like we do now, but the fact that the 90s Era is long gone, people look at this current era compared to the last and rag on this one. And to be fair, we just started this new Era of Hip-Hop, I'd say as of maybe 2010-2011. Kendrick dropped GKMC and that was an amazing project, but it's still not enough time to compare to any other era yet, it's much too soon, so I feel we all should give it time before we start questioning if rappers now are up to par or not. Times have changed, and society along with it, so we have to remember that.
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

Image
User avatar
JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Dec 26th, '10, 05:57
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Hip Hop Domain



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users