The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Your Hip Hop Timeline/Story Thread

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: Your Hip Hop Timeline/Story Thread

Postby dead prez » Dec 28th, '13, 23:15

Yeah and they never come across as bitter or anything plus they tackle that issue through a much more interesting and creative way, and if you look at the times rap was in a virtual holocaust at the time with P Diddy running the mainstream. Right before Eminem's big explosion actually, plus they're probably the only rap group who I could say for sure made a lo-fi rap album. Those freestyle sessions added in was a nice detail and El-P stuttering at certain parts added to that feel.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby lp_eminem_fan » Dec 28th, '13, 23:16

DancinOnYaGrave wrote:I only got into hip hop around 2007-2008. I obviously heard all of Em's big hits when I was kid and I loved them. I still remember the first tim I heard Lose Yourself. That shit blew my fuckin mind, I would play it over and over lol. But it was really Linkin Park that got me to listen to hip hop cuz around 2007 I found out about Fort Minor and I loved the album, and I noticed Styles of Beyond was featured on a lot of tracks so I checked them out as well. I heard Apathy and Celph Titled on the We Major mixtape, and that led me to AOTP and JMT, and from there I fell in love with underground hip hop. I don't really remember when I started listening to old school stuff though. :sweating:

same story as you lol
Eminem. Mike Shinoda. Linkin Park
I FUCKING WANT AN EMINEM AND MIKE SHINODA COLLAB
lp_eminem_fan
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 23:42

dead prez wrote:Masters of The Universe

nodima gave it a 2.5 and diction gave it a 3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby dead prez » Dec 28th, '13, 23:45

zephos gave it a 4 and he's the hip hop guru... though I also only gave it a 3.5, loll. I need to relisten to it tho
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 23:47

i listened to it a couple years ago and i was prty bored by it even then
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby dead prez » Dec 28th, '13, 23:48

classthe_king wrote:i listened to it a couple years ago and i was prty bored by it even then

your boy coleon liked it tho >n>, and not aggressive headbanging enough for you. -__-
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 23:49

ya he was he one who recommended it to me. not sure if he would still like it anymore
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby dead prez » Dec 28th, '13, 23:52

Tbh, I don't think you'd like funcrusher plus much. It's not an easy album to listen too, and it's sorta just battle rap after battle rap with dope lines being dropped left and right, with some lines not being great so dunno. Plus it's super long, but I still really like the aesthetic of it. You'd probably like newer el-p than his old shit
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby classthe_king » Dec 29th, '13, 00:01

never know unless u try
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Dec 29th, '13, 03:07

good thread. i just cbf remembering and writing lol
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Iris2 » Dec 30th, '13, 14:58

Curiosity led me to download The Marshall Mathers LP after randomly coming across TRSS in 2009. As I come from a classical background, the brilliance of the album was mind-blowing. I was one of those classical music snobs you guys hate. But, through Eminem I discovered the intrinsic music in words and how in most of his lyrics, the structure and the pattern of his words are so full of life. Other than Eminem, I like Eyedea, Outkast. I used to listen to Below the heavens a bit. I liked some songs from 808s and Heartbreak, a couple of songs by Atmosphere, Astronautalis' first two albums, a bit of Aesop Rock.
Iris2
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby yoda you can call me » Dec 30th, '13, 15:26

Heard Tupac in the 90s but hearing the MMLP made me fully get into hiphop and go to Dre, NWA and all old school shit. But just before the release of TES i went down the path of drugs, so from that period till about 3 years ago, it's all been one big blur for me, i still followed Em career throughout it though... But from 2011 to present, i got into vinnie paz and all the circle of emcees he's involved with.. And I'm now forever expanding my hiphop catalogue
Last edited by yoda you can call me on Dec 30th, '13, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Dec 30th, '13, 15:47

I was a metalhead when i was a teen, started listening to Hip Hop in 2000 when the "The Way i Am" video came out, and i was instantly hooked right in...started listening to Em, bought MMLP then went back to his older records, bought D12 Devils Night and after that i started listening to Hip Hop more and more and discovering other rappers as well...Dre, Snoop, Biggie and DMX mostly then at around 03 got into 50 and Nas and so on till this day...and in the last 2 years or so i got into Joe Budden and that's what i mostly listen to nowadays.

Off topic: Budden is so underrated :facepalm
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby MarshalBlaze » Dec 30th, '13, 18:30

The year was 2000.
I heard Stan for the first time and Thought it was such an amazing song, I didn't really understand English THAT well back then because i was like 8 years old, but the music video painted a perfect picture and I thought it was so genius.
later that year I heard "The Way I Am" and It has pretty much been one of my top favorite Hip Hop songs since.
I didn't get into Eminem cause of his funny shit like "My Name Is" and "The Real Slim Shady" but i Appreciated the Humor.
I bought The "Devil's Night" Album shortly after and later got MMLP.
By the time "Without Me" premiered on MTV i was already a solidified little fan at the age of 10.
I even got into the whole Shady/Aftermath thing, i had an Obie Trice album, Cheers which was really hard to get in my country and, D12 world and Get Rich or Die Tryin', got into Dr.Dre and Snoop Dogg on the side obviously (everyone was back then)
I've been pretty much just into Eminem and his associated acts until after Encore.
When em went into Rehab I stepped back a little and went back in time to listen to
The Illmatic, Paid in Full, Straight Outta Compton, All Eyez on Me,Ready to Die,Blueprint and pretty much every single classic Hip Hop album that has ever come out.
by the time i had went through Puberty i spent more time listening to classic hip hop than i did masturbating and I don't even regret it until this day.
by 2007 when Eminem had gone under completely and i was done listening to all the old school shit i was into over and over again.
I got into more deserve rap like Kanye West, T.I.,Lil Wayne,Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco and pretty much everyone who was poppin' back then all the way until Relapse was released and I got back into Eminem's music.
I still think Relapse is an amazing album i just don't think it's that great of a come back, Relapse had too much of a specific theme, he should have done more rapidy-rap songs like on Hell the Sequel.
I was satisfied with Relapse after listening to it for a few months, same with Recovery though i have gotten quite annoyed with Recovery now and Hell The Sequel because i just played the living fuck out of those records.
I still listen to Artists that are relevant and am still a fan of Shady and the artists that are on the label.
Lately i've been into Kendrick Lamar,Childish Gambino, Schoolboy Q,Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West,Jay-Z and just re-visiting some classic albums a lot of good artists have put out.
I'm not that type of Hipster hip hop fan that would listen to shit like Lil b and tell you guys that you don't understand the base god's message or any other unsigned underground rapper that is just fucking weird, but Yeah ...
Hip Hop's been quite a big part of my life and i try to keep up with the times as well as listen to other genres.
MarshalBlaze
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Eedee » Dec 31st, '13, 04:19

Alright, I know some of you wonder why I have the taste I do... Hopefully this helps.

Birth - June 2009
The only music I listened to was country and classical, because that's what my parents played me. Ugh.

June 2009 - 2010
Then Michael Jackson died, huge deal in the news, etc. So I started listening to some of his songs, just out of curiousity. Blew me away how talented this guy was. He's all I listened to for about a year...

Recovery
Right at the end of sophomore year of high school, one of my friends was a big Eminem fan, and he played me Lose Yourself in class. I remember hearing this song before somewhere, but I couldn't recall. But it was a good song from what I remembered. Then he told me Recovery leaked. I went on YouTube and downloaded each song out of order individually (such a noob at albums at this point) and bumped that shit in my car every day in the car on the way to and from school. At home, working out, whatever I was doing, I was listening to Recovery. I fuckin' loved how fresh it seemed to me. (Me liking Recovery is a huge nostalgia thing, but I honestly do think it's a great album still)

December 2010

My girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me for the second time (long story) and that's when I went full Stan mode. Eminem just fucking spoke to me with his songs. I ordered all his old CDs from Amazon and listened to 'em all the time. Started writing my own lyrics too, fucking hell they were terribad haha

The peak of my Stanley-phase. H:TS was my first anticipated Em release. This was when I registered on here. I was still writing, finally got around to recording songs with a producer I met on YouTube. Heard Slaughterhouse on Loud Noises

This was when I started to branch out. Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf mostly.

This was my year where I branched out the most. Kanye, Childish, some Nas, Jay-Z, J.Cole, Mac Miller, Sadistik, etc. I listened to a LOT of albums.

I feel like I can now appreciate rap as an artform after listening to a variety of artists instead of just Em. Which is why I apologize for being such a Stan and having shit taste when it comes to hip-hop for the majority of my TR career. This is also why I do enjoy pop-sounding rap songs more than the average TR member, it's just my musical background. I'm branching out though.

:y:
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

PreviousNext

Return to Hip Hop Domain