The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Your Hip Hop Timeline/Story Thread

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: Your Hip Hop Timeline/Story Thread

Postby Eedee » Dec 31st, '13, 04:19

Alright, I know some of you wonder why I have the taste I do... Hopefully this helps.

Birth - June 2009
The only music I listened to was country and classical, because that's what my parents played me. Ugh.

June 2009 - 2010
Then Michael Jackson died, huge deal in the news, etc. So I started listening to some of his songs, just out of curiousity. Blew me away how talented this guy was. He's all I listened to for about a year...

Recovery
Right at the end of sophomore year of high school, one of my friends was a big Eminem fan, and he played me Lose Yourself in class. I remember hearing this song before somewhere, but I couldn't recall. But it was a good song from what I remembered. Then he told me Recovery leaked. I went on YouTube and downloaded each song out of order individually (such a noob at albums at this point) and bumped that shit in my car every day in the car on the way to and from school. At home, working out, whatever I was doing, I was listening to Recovery. I fuckin' loved how fresh it seemed to me. (Me liking Recovery is a huge nostalgia thing, but I honestly do think it's a great album still)

December 2010

My girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me for the second time (long story) and that's when I went full Stan mode. Eminem just fucking spoke to me with his songs. I ordered all his old CDs from Amazon and listened to 'em all the time. Started writing my own lyrics too, fucking hell they were terribad haha

The peak of my Stanley-phase. H:TS was my first anticipated Em release. This was when I registered on here. I was still writing, finally got around to recording songs with a producer I met on YouTube. Heard Slaughterhouse on Loud Noises

This was when I started to branch out. Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf mostly.

This was my year where I branched out the most. Kanye, Childish, some Nas, Jay-Z, J.Cole, Mac Miller, Sadistik, etc. I listened to a LOT of albums.

I feel like I can now appreciate rap as an artform after listening to a variety of artists instead of just Em. Which is why I apologize for being such a Stan and having shit taste when it comes to hip-hop for the majority of my TR career. This is also why I do enjoy pop-sounding rap songs more than the average TR member, it's just my musical background. I'm branching out though.

:y:
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Just Silver » Dec 31st, '13, 04:59

Birth till around 2002- Nothing but radio rock because my mother but I was introduced to em via TES from my gay cousin adam also played tons of conkers bad fur day lol

Around 2003 to 2005- this is around the time I would try to listen to eminem music videos but internet hadn't exactly been as simple as today for videos but it was bearable lol on the boys and girls club computers

2005-2007 this is when music got serious lol it's when I realized I was a decent rhymer
Id freestyle and shit but the biggest thing was the new PSP I had gotten for Christmas of 06 I think lol id use Wi-Fi and download tons of eminem all the albums with some old school stuff as well like snoop and dre some eazy e just mostly Em and old school
Although this is when my friend introduced me to his type of music some 50 cent , llyod banks a bunch of others and rnb although I hated rnb

2007-2009 right before I joined here all id basically listen to is eminem and still old school
But once I joined tr I started listening to new stuff like wale b.o.b and wiz khalifa I believe
Still haven't quite got into the underground scene but I respected it

2009-2011 around this time music taste changed dramatically
Eminem was falling off relapse was a new eminem I couldn't quite grasp it was still cool but it made me listen to other artists such as odd future, wale ,wiz .gucci mane, old lil wayne, pharrel lots of biggie .. jadakiss and a bunch of the upcoming mixtape rappers of 11

2012-now
Well now I don't listen to much music tbh but when I do its usually action bronson , curren $ y or some alternative new school type rappers such as joey badass but ive also tried gettin into the new wu tang stuff
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Elision » Dec 31st, '13, 07:24

Good thread idea :y:
I don't usually participate in this kind of stuff but here goes.

1992 - 1998
Not a hiphop fan. Not really a music fan period. :-k Although I'd always had a love for rhyming, one of my only memories of my father is him always trying to get me to rhyme as many things as I could with a single word, and I'd do the same for him. I remember that being so much fun.

Heard Eminem on the radio on the way home from school and just about shit myself. It was a whole song of rhyming! Instant conversion - childhood stannery commences.

2000 - 2001
Still just listening to Em, but I remember getting a Busta album after hearing some stuff I liked from him on MTV.

2002 - 2006
Eminem/D12, Busta, Andre Nickatina/Equipto, Smoov-E, some Xzibit, Luda and Kanye, mothafuckin Afroman :worship:
also Gorillaz if that counts

Ran into Tech N9ne's Everready album on a friends ipod and it hit me like a semi-truck. The feelings were reminiscent of hearing Em for the first time in the sense that I was instantly hooked. I had never heard anything like it before, it was like hiphop 2.0 for me. He made me truly love the genre from a technical standpoint.

My love for Em had seriously died down, especially with his last major project being Encore, I was basically just listening to Tech N9ne and a some Immortal Technique by this point. Also some Krizz Kaliko but I could tell he still had a lot of evolving to do.

Heard whispers of Em making a return, hopped online and saw it was true, this (for the most part) rekindled my interest in him and I began to anticipate Relapse pretty hard, especially during the last few months leading up to it. Still listening to Tech to hold me over until. Em's album finally leaks (I was a lurker here at the time) and I was in love again. Especially from the technical side of things, never enjoyed the accent(s) though. Just before refill leaked I joined this forum and started to find other serious fans of the genre, which was awesome and it helped me find more artists that I would later come to enjoy.

2009 - 2013
Eminem, Tech N9ne, Wax, Soul Khan, Hopsin, Rittz, Ces Cru, Jokerr, Immortal Technique, Nas, R.A. the Rugged Man, a little bit of Eyedea/Atmosphere, a little bit of Krizz Kaliko and that's about it these days. Started making my own music in early 2011. Thanks for reading :wave:
i'm comin in, drivin my short bus
with this nose i don't need a torch up
bustin through, light the industry's porsche up
comin after who didn't support us...
imma change your brain bring
every wicked bit of strange to mainstream
-Tech N9ne #SpecialEffects2015
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Minimii » Dec 31st, '13, 23:36

infinity-2010 i hated rap (for no reason), i listened only mainstream pop, and wus big fan of michael jackson, stevie wonder, ray charles etc.
Then 2010 recovery came out i heard 'not afraid', 'love the way you lie' (from spotify toplist lol) and started listening eminem's music more. I didnt like him as a person but i couldnt stay away from his music :worship:
still doe the moment i heard 'the way i am' the 1st time i became the ultimate stan so i DL recovery on my phone and listen to it 24/7 till i got rest of his shit which was back then pretty much the only thing i listened to (= all other rappers just talk about money but eminem is about life- phase), i even liked recovery.

2011 i get to know all these other rappers Dre, snoop, biggie, nas, 2pac, NWA basically anyone who you was supposed to be listening to be a real hip hop fan (according to youtube comments)

2012 I came into the conclusion that 80s and 90s rap arent as good as 00s thus i stopped listening things like biggie or nwa not that i ever even liked their shht in the first place. I got into more political rap because of immortal technique (and more into politics in general thanks to him), so in come lupe, lowkey, the coup, dead prez and whatever there are.

2013 I took a liking to more deep or intellectual artists like eyedea or aesop rock but these guys are hard to find, i mean many rappers have great deep songs but i dont feel like skimming through 90% shit to find few gems (nas)

still hate most mainstream rap, dislike 90s and especially 80s, hate recovery, in general listen political rap but also mobb deep, jmt, aotp, hopsin, 2pac, nas, big pun and others depending on the mood im in. Still pretty much the only rapper who i have ever been fan of(and still am) is eminem altho i dont listen his music much anymore.
the end

oh yeah i forgot, been based god fan since 2012 tybg
i spent so many nights teary eyed thanks to him. he is so fooneh
Cause you'll never take my pride from me
It'll have to be bribed from me"
- marshall "sellout" mathers
Minimii
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Shuttle Destroyer » Jan 2nd, '14, 08:12

Some of yo guys gon hate me after this one, but let's do it

2002: Watched "Without Me" music video on MTV. I was seven years old, no notion of english at all, but I went crazy over that shit. Bought TES in a local store and used to listen to it everyday after school.

2004: Encore Singles/Radio

2005: Curtain Call Singles/Used to blast My Band Music Video downloaded on Kaaza Lite all night when I visited him. Use to think that song was called D12 :facepalm /Radio

2006/2007: Radio, began to notice that rap/hip hop was what I liked. Had a 128M MP3 player that I used to fill with was what hot at that moment. Limewire days. Downloaded all the tracks to Curtain Call and burned them in a CD

2008: Gave up on radio due to small amount of rap. Began to find singles watching MTV Hits :flutter: (goat at that time) and online using youtube and wikipedia and randomly other stuff. Used to share the singles I've found with my best friend at that time (he still is, btw) who happened to like rap too. He used to send me his findings as well. Blasted Lollipop like crazy, includind it's remix with Kanye West. Basicaly, Carter III singles, Graduation singles (good life and flashing lights :flutter:) t-pain singles(buy u a drank, can't believe it, freeze), Best I eve had :flutter: Paper Trail singles, Love in this club and it's remix, and some other stuff. Plies (omg lol) with Hyptotized and Shawty. Akon singles too. Ludacris One More Drink... Imma stop right here cause Imma continue to remember. The list goes on and on.

2009: Had learned to speak english when Eminem's Relapse was announced. First album I was hyped for/first rap album I ever heard in it's entirely after TES. Found some leaks later on and used to blast them all day since I got Relapse on my birthday. Leaked tracks were Same Song and Dance, Hello, Stay Wide Awake, My Mom and Insane. The whole shit was out, I know :laughing: but this pitch altered youtube videos with those songs was all I got
Later on discovered that Refill has been released. Downloaded it.
Found On Top Of The World by T.I. Feat Luda and B.o.B and though who the fuck is this nigga Bob doing with this two big names? Downloaded B.o.B vs Bobby Ray. My first mixtape :wub

2010: Downloaded B.o.B's mixtape May 25 the day it came out and the leak of his debut album. Got goosebumps throughout the whole first time listening of The Adventures Of Bobby Ray. Had been riding with him for some time. Started listening to some Drake tracks on youtube. Liked it. Antecipated Thank Me Later. God mad at first cause it was different, grew accoustumed to it later, but it made me download So Far Gone and Comeback Season.
Got Recovery on my birthday. Loved it, liked I did with Relapse. No Genre downloaded too.

2011: Heard Work Out and Can't Get Enough at a party. Downloaded The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights, but only touched them after Cole Word: The Sideline Story dropped: it was a few days after that party. Loved all of them. Heard My Last on MTV Hits, downloaded Finally Famous. Loved it too. Take Care was out. Awesome. Also hear Lasers, No Mercy, and The Carter IV. Antecipated BME EP a lot. Had they're logo on my twitter avy, if you guys remember it, and heard Echo and Living Proof leaked tracks. Came out, didn't buy it though. Bumped it a lot.
Finally listened to SSLP, MMLP, Infinite, Encore... All of Em's discography I'd missed.

2012: Went back to MBDTF and WTT. Section.80, then GKMC came out. A lot of J. Cole unreleased tracks. Detroit mixtape. Strange Clouds. Used to go back to past albums a lot. FNL was huge. A lot of albums I can't remember right now. F&L2. Other stuff.

2013: Go check my Year In Music Thead.

This is it, sorry for the typos and the huge thing.
As you can see, I'm new to this game but I came a long way from bumping singles to here.
May 2014 show me the next step :)

:wave:
11/05/2010 - Jockey Club, São Paulo
Rap God wrote:You never seen heard smelled or met a real MC
Who's incredible upon the same pedestal as me

Like F1? Join us >> http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=165403
How about FM14? >> http://forum.trshady.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=165391
Shuttle Destroyer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby slims » Jan 6th, '14, 00:57

90's- I listened to lots of rap as a kid because my mom played it a lot. Most was 80s and stuff on the radio. My favorite song was california love.

2000- 2003 I heard lots of em on the radio and me and my brother would see who could say the hook to the real slim shady fastest. I loved stan so much it was all I listened to when I decided to listen to my mom's copy of mmlp. Then, in middle school my friend showed me some other songs after that I was in love. I got the eminem show and sslp after that.

2004- 2006 I was 13 by now and I spent a lot of time waiting for encore to come out. I actually loved it back then. :laughing: I also got the re up and stuff, typical em fan stuff.

2006- 2009- I listened to a lot of Kanye because my brother was into him and stuff. I also listened to a lot of radio songs.

2009- 2012- listened to relapse a lot, tried to listened to recovery. Also got into the Beatles.

2012- 2013 lots of the beatles until mmlp2 was announced and came out.

Now I've been trying to find more rap to listen to besides eminem. I'm like the whitest black kid ever. :shakehead:
slim shady, naughty rotten rhymer
- not an original sig but one from a different site I joined before this one.
slims
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Indeed » Jan 8th, '14, 00:51

Oh well, it's not that long, but I really came open mind with Hip-Hop

-Most of my life hearing Rock, Beatles, Nirvana, Doors and other stuff.

-2012: Well, I had a friend who was very into Hip-Hop, I fucking hated Hip-Hop, so one time he told me "Yo, you should hear Eminem" n' I was like "Da fuck you saying, He is crap, rap is crap!" So once I was with my PC, and I have a friend who liked Recovery, so at school he used to play Not Afraid, I didn't like it much but the album was like some Rockish-Rap style you know. So when I'm at my pc I search in Youtube Eminem, lots of songs but the one that I liked was Superman. So i bought Recovery, Relapse (Blew my mind) MMLP, and MMLP2 (My father fucking loves it). So I heard Mockingbird and I loved Square Dance (Song of the eternity)

2013: I wasn't really into Hip-Hop but somehow i heard about Yelawolf and I was like,"This dude is great", so after hearing him, i heard MGK. BUUUUUUUUUUUT the big blow-up was when Control dropped, I was like WHOAAAAAAA THIS GUY, KENDRICK IS FUCKING DOPE. So I started hearing Kendrick like a lot (Still in love with Section.80) and you know. I searched everybody's name at the "Diss" and I really liked A$AP Rocky, after this Nosetalgia dropped and I was like "Pusha T bodied Kendrick verse and i'm the only one that notices????" Pusha took me to Big Sean and Tyler, The Creator. Started with Rittz, Hopsin, ScHoolboy Q. And my actually favorite Mc's are A$AP Ferg and Yela.

EDIT: I'm also into Jay-Z MCHG is GOAT, Heard Yeezus and didn't like it. and y'all should check out Schama
"If you put wings on a Lamborghini, homie, tell me what you get FLY" Mickey Factz Zen ft. Yelawolf
#TeamSlumerican #TeamTDE #A$APFERG #TeamKendrick #TeamScHoolboyQ
Indeed
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby King Lance » Jan 10th, '14, 17:21

King Lance
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Previous

Return to Hip Hop Domain