The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Diabolic - Fightin' Words [Album Thread]

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: Diabolic - Fightin' Words [Album Thread]

Postby KaZer » Sep 16th, '14, 16:35

Can't wait for it to come out!

SlimChazi wrote:Should I feel bad that I don't know Diabolic

Check out Liar & a Thief, bra

#JMT&AotP #TRmetal
KaZer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Sep 16th, '14, 20:34

Bumping this now. Dope as fuck to say the least. Jam packed with punches and nice multis

Edit: Norman bates is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby KaZer » Sep 17th, '14, 03:42

How about this cover? I got it but haven't listening to it yet but I will tomorrow

#JMT&AotP #TRmetal
KaZer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Sep 17th, '14, 08:57

KaZer wrote:
I got it but haven't listening to it yet but I will tomorrow

I'm more than satisified with this project. Probs my personal favourite rap album of 2014 that's dropped thus far tbfh. Will definitely be bumping a good few times.
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Sep 17th, '14, 20:54

Hesky wrote:
Yoda wrote:Probs my personal favourite rap album of 2014 that's dropped thus far tbfh. Will definitely be bumping a good few times.

I wish I could say I felt the same way, my man :(

I began listening to the album last night, and I wasn't really feeling it much. I began to lose interest at around Norman Bates. I started to listen to the album from the beginning again this morning on the way to work, and yet again at around the Norman Bates mark began to lose interest, so I skipped the track and moved onto 'Living in my Own Head', which I did enjoyImage

A lot of the hooks also seemed bland. Not even the Half Baked sample on the 'My Attitude' track was able to spice things up. They were definitely a low point for me.

A lot of the punchlines and rhymes were also a little predictable. Eminem did the whole 'gym class/Slim•Fast' rhyme 15 years ago, and the set up is quite similar to Eminem's also. Liar & A Thief, in my opinion, was a lot more of a polished project. Some of the bars on this album could have been interchanged between tracks, because there was no real theme to the vast majority of them, and the tracks that did have specific themes weren't executed as well as they could have been.

Damn hombre. I thought his flows, features and production (especially dat fucking scratching :flutter: ) where enough to keep it interesting for me to listen all the way through. I agree on the hooks being a bit bland though. And the track Victims story just totally reminds of Guilty Conscience from Em, probably the weakest track on the album for me.

It's been so fucking long that i've bumped Liar and a thief that i only remember the track Frontlines. Will bump it to get a better understanding of where you're coming from.
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby subjugator » Sep 18th, '14, 00:25

I wish I could say I felt the same way, my man :(

I began listening to the album last night, and I wasn't really feeling it much. I began to lose interest at around Norman Bates. I started to listen to the album from the beginning again this morning on the way to work, and yet again at around the Norman Bates mark began to lose interest, so I skipped the track and moved onto 'Living in my Own Head', which I did enjoyImage

A lot of the hooks also seemed bland. Not even the Half Baked sample on the 'My Attitude' track was able to spice things up. They were definitely a low point for me.

A lot of the punchlines and rhymes were also a little predictable. Eminem did the whole 'gym class/Slim•Fast' rhyme 15 years ago, and the set up is quite similar to Eminem's also. Liar & A Thief, in my opinion, was a lot more of a polished project. Some of the bars on this album could have been interchanged between tracks, because there was no real theme to the vast majority of them, and the tracks that did have specific themes weren't executed as well as they could have been.

I feel the same way. I've been anxiously awaiting this album since he announced the title a couple years ago. I even backed his Kickstarter, which I had no problem doing because honestly Diabolic is my favorite lyricist. Every single he dropped before the album (Alien Manuscript, Diabolic Sound, Suffolk's Most Wanted, Fightin Words, Mission Statement, ) were cool lyrically, but they had no substance and I worried the album would be just a bunch of songs rapping about nothing. A lot of the beats are just noise to me and don't suit his rhymes. You are right about it not being polished like Liar and a Thief. I feel like album is all over the place. Most of the features in my opinion dropped weak verses and I like most of the artists on them. I also feel like for an album 3 years in the making, it wouldn't hurt to record your verse after it fully recovered from losing it. Aside from his rap style, I couldn't even tell it was him on Norman Bates, and when the track was over I had to rewind it to make sure. His voice was cracking on Living In My Head too, but it wasn't bad. Also, I heard a lot of the same bars throughout the album, but he just rearranged the wordplay. I've listened to the album straight through a few times and the only songs I like are "Piss and Vineger", "Living In My Own Head" and "My Attitude".

I'm not sure if you've heard the exclusive Kickstarter track, but it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apHFYursPU4
subjugator
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby TranSlucEnt » Sep 18th, '14, 02:37

Fuck. This shits hot. Mm. Dat Production :o

Only track I wasn't feeling was A.M.E.R.I.C.A.
"Soon as my flow starts, I compose art like the ghost of Mozart"

"All that fire in your eyes shows pain, but the flame ain't blue enough"

ImageImage
TranSlucEnt
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchell3K » Sep 19th, '14, 00:41

Diabolic is the bottom of the barrel for the late 90's white battle rappers who are nearing their 40's. He's basically a poor mans Copywrite. His punchlines are so telegraphed you can see them coming a mile away, his flow sounds like 1,000 other people cut from his cloth and his beats are always run of the mill.

It's like somebody bought a paint by numbers, build your own angry white battle rapper kit and made this dude from scratch using every stereo type that came in the box.

Illuminati Paranoia - Check

Complain about new rappers and styles while proclaiming yourself "Real hip hop" - Check

Monotone flow and shitty hooks, sometimes replaced by generic DJ Premier wanna be cutting up the middle - Check

This guy is basically a poor mans version of Apathy, he's like a dude who wasn't quite good enough to make the cut for Demigodz.

His career wound up dependent on Kickstarter for a reason....... Fuck, at least Vinnie Paz and Il Bill can get people to press their records up for them without begging for change lol
Mitchell3K
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DetroitSkills » Sep 19th, '14, 00:44

Mitchell3K wrote:Diabolic is the bottom of the barrel for the late 90's white battle rappers who are nearing their 40's. He's basically a poor mans Copywrite. His punchlines are so telegraphed you can see them coming a mile away, his flow sounds like 1,000 other people cut from his cloth and his beats are always run of the mill.

It's like somebody bought a paint by numbers, build your own angry white battle rapper kit and made this dude from scratch using every stereo type that came in the box.

Illuminati Paranoia - Check

Complain about new rappers and styles while proclaiming yourself "Real hip hop" - Check

Monotone flow and shitty hooks, sometimes replaced by generic DJ Premier wanna be cutting up the middle - Check

This guy is basically a poor mans version of Apathy, he's like a dude who wasn't quite good enough to make the cut for Demigodz.

His career wound up dependent on Kickstarter for a reason....... Fuck, at least Vinnie Paz and Il Bill can get people to press their records up for them without begging for change lol

MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Previous

Return to Hip Hop Domain