The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

General Hip-Hop Discussion Thread

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: General Hip-Hop Discussion Thread

Postby CrashBand » Oct 17th, '14, 00:39

@ ur wayne post. u pretty much summed up what is good with him. no one disagreeing with that (apart from the better than list, obviously).

i agree that he's definitely self-aware (@ the bad puns). i'm not quite sure if that gives him a free pass tho. of course it's better than someone like current eminem or some battle rapper not being even slightly aware at how corny [correct use eminsider?] their punchlines are.

but like, wayne isn't really satirising them... so dunno. is he just being funny cos they're silly?
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby sbolli1 » Oct 17th, '14, 00:42

dead prez wrote:Thread bump

Anyways was gonna make a thread but what's ya'll thoughts on Prime Weezy 04-07, I actually really like him and find him probably the most entertaining rapper to listen to for some reason even if there are other rappers who I think are better. His charisma, delivery, and flow are like legit 10/10 the only weak link are his lyrics and I don't even mind a lot of his lame puns, plus he has some really nice lines like Dipset (Da Drought 3) and Walk it Out (not gonna quote it just listen to them) but he's just straight FUN to listen to like even if a lot of his lines aren't that gud he had a certain sense of self awareness where he knew the line was wack (he laughs throughout the entirety of DD3 for chrissake) and you just get a feeling like he's elbowing you in the ribs. When he does murder though, his flow and delivery is second to none and he can "kill" songs. He's also a really great hook maker, also please don't turn this into a WOW WAYNE SUCKS, YOU SUCK, (I will shit on you) but I'd be more than happy to actually discuss this without turning this into some wow ur taste is shit thing.

Any controversial list of rappers who Lil wayne is better than

Kanye West
Jay z
Freddie Gibbs
Kendrick Lamar
Roc Marciano
Joe Budden
T.I.
Biggie
Pusha T
Drake (by quite a bit)
lupe fiasco
Those two dudes from binary star
Gift of Gab
Big Pun
Elzhi
and pretty much most other rappers u'd level at me

rappers better or equal to him
Black Thought
MF DOOM
Ghostface Killah
Danny Brown
Vordul Mega (in Cold Vein)
Eminem
Nas (maybe)
Kool G rap
Edan (maybe)
Camron (maybe)

very opinionated list but yeah I'm bored

Opinions are opinions, but :facepalm
sbolli1
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dead prez » Oct 17th, '14, 00:45

I also think he thinks he's being witty, but what sets him apart from a lot of rappers who specialize in 16s are that he's just plain "fun" to listen to, like that one funny friend you have. Like yeah I won't deny he thinks a lot of his lines are clever even if they're not, but to me what makes a rapper is pretty much delivery and mic presence (I know you can't measure it) but with those you can pretty much pull anything off. And I do think he does have legit great lines too, that don't rely on delivery to pull them off, they aren't wordplay but are just clever and make u go :weebaygif: cause they're funny. Add his great hookmaking abilities and you're set, for just a really fun rapper to listen to.

@ sbolli u have no right to facepalm at anyone ur a complete dingleberry in this shithole of a forum, also kendrick lamar also has a lot of lame lines. And I'm legit worried for his next ablum, he's the type of rapper that needs some grand concept to pull of something great.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby dead prez » Oct 17th, '14, 00:48

Aand yes self awareness does matter

it's what saves Backseat freestyle as that song is entirely reliant on that (and ofc context) or just like if a movie was satirising really bad cliches and a lot of misogynist tropes versus on that revels in them.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby CrashBand » Oct 17th, '14, 00:54

of course self awareness matters (i said that by contrasting him with serious battle rappers). i just said it doesn't automatically give u a free pass. let's pretend backseat freestyle literally failed to capture the tone of a 15 year old rapper spitting barzz. kendrick's awareness that the lines aren't clever or whatever doesn't make it alright. (although there's a difference between someone actually thinking they're good and not being aware at all that people might construe them as vacuous lines)
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby dead prez » Oct 17th, '14, 01:00

I'd say the self awareness of Backseat freestyle went over most people's heads though, and they take it seriously as a "kill it" track, rofl, just like those who think Swimmin pools is actually about gettin wasted. I'd say most people overreact with wayne's lame lines though, they're nowherea near vomit inducing, sure some of them fall flat, but since he's so casual about a lot of them and since he spits like songs full of them literally they can be forgiven as opposed to be a glaring addition to an actual "song".
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby dead prez » Oct 17th, '14, 01:05

it's also why I love kanye west lines that make people go :rolleyes: he's probably better at wayne in terms of making lame lines sound dope.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Elision » Oct 17th, '14, 10:47

the thing is i'd really be a limp bizkit fan if fred didn't have such a corny voice. that album they did in the early 2000's would probably be one of my top 20-25, especially with that monstrous guitarist they had. what ever happened to that guy?
i'm comin in, drivin my short bus
with this nose i don't need a torch up
bustin through, light the industry's porsche up
comin after who didn't support us...
imma change your brain bring
every wicked bit of strange to mainstream
-Tech N9ne #SpecialEffects2015
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby classthe_king » Oct 17th, '14, 15:28

Even if Lil Wayne was self-aware at first, his fans didn't know it and his lines got praised so much that he started thinking they were dope and then started using them 100% serious.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Previous

Return to Hip Hop Domain