The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Nas - 'The Season' Prod. J Dilla (OUT NOW!)

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: Nas - 'The Season' Prod. J Dilla (OUT NOW!)

Postby dead prez » Nov 1st, '14, 01:11

Ok few things anyone talking smack about this beat is a complete moron, every beat, literally every beat on Donuts is a masterpiece. Lol at people saying this is repetitive, rofl, yeah a hip hop beat being repetitive, wow didn't know such a thing existed. Anyways while I wanna gush over this like a complete fanboy cause I'm a Donuts stan and huge Nas fan, I gotsa say this is much less than the sum of it's parts. Nas is great but he kinda feels on auto-pilot over this. I get that he's not supposed to kill it (I get it more than anyone here, unless you're PK) but he needs to go with a more laidback jigga or Kanye flow, with this whole celebratory vibe, and honestly it feels kinda half-assed. Also the problem with Donuts beats are that most of them aren't meant to be rapped on, which is why you get dunderheads complaining about repetitiveness, lol, literally they aren't meant to be. The only rappers that should ever touch Donuts beats are Black Thought in his prime and Ghostface, maybe Doom. Anyways this is nice but nothing mindblowing like I thought it'd be, still it's pretty gud. And a nice treat for dilla and nas fans.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby dead prez » Nov 1st, '14, 01:34

Honestly like listening to some of the rappers rap over Donuts beats, the raps and beats are obviously gud/great even (obv when it comes to the beats) but they lack that synergy and just feel sound awkward. They just aren't me to be rapped and few really tweaked the beats or meshed well with them to make them suitable for rapping. Which is why Can't Stop This is is the perfect Dilla X rapper combo, BT actually meshed well with the beat and structured his flow and delivery for the song. The hook is so soulful

dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Mr Change » Nov 1st, '14, 01:43

Admittedly not the biggest Nas fan in the world but that was a dope song :y:
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TheGentlePlayer » Nov 1st, '14, 02:00

croatia wrote:
College Dropout wrote:Nice, but the beat gets annoying fast.

This.

This is my problem with DJ Premier and J. Dilla

they make dope beats but those beats are the whole time the same throughout the song which makes them get annoying real fast

still the song is really dope

Fuck, I want to tatto that shit. So fucking true!!!
So let's hope for the best for PRhyme and those SH track Premo did for ShadyXV
I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it.
Spent a million a track and went over my budget.
Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt?
I can't rap anymore, I just murdered the alphabet.
TheGentlePlayer
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby dead prez » Nov 1st, '14, 02:48

loool at people complaining about repetitive beats in hip hop, just lol.. Seriously have you niggas never heard of drone music or punk, rofl. Sorry not everything can be be grandiose 8 minute multilayered epics (joking btw, and if anyone thinks that type of music is inherently better than reptitive simple music, I think less of you as a person). But really this is why Donuts beats shouldn't be rapped over in the first place, you got dunderheads complaining about repetitiveness when entire beat was meant to be like a minute long loop, which works fine for what it was. Anyone bitching about that though knows nothing about Dilla or even fucking Donuts, lol. The first fucking song for crying out loud (workin onit) is one of the most perfectly structured, no it IS, the most perfectly sequenced and structured beat out there. With a beginning and a climax to it.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby DetroitSkills » Nov 1st, '14, 02:56

"calm down" is repetitive lellll
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Jaba » Nov 1st, '14, 02:57

NAS FINNA DROP HIS 2nd BEST ALBUM SOON!
Singin' "Bagpipes from Baghdad" again
In my dad's drag draggin' a faggot in a Glad bag
Won't be the last time I make a dramatic entrance like that again
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Forgive me father, for I have sinned
But hip hop has left me brainwashed with a violent streak
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby boonim » Nov 1st, '14, 06:58

This is a nice song -- seems like warm-up for the actual album cycle.

One thing I'm curious about: were the accusations of ghost-writing a big enough deal for him to respond? Someone actually accused Nas of having ghostwriters? Someone big?
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 12characters » Nov 1st, '14, 07:10

boonim wrote:This is a nice song -- seems like warm-up for the actual album cycle.

One thing I'm curious about: were the accusations of ghost-writing a big enough deal for him to respond? Someone actually accused Nas of having ghostwriters? Someone big?

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/09/03/jay-el ... ng-rumors/
Golden God!Image
CanadaPure wrote:I'd fuck 12Characters
12characters
Role Model
Role Model

Postby boonim » Nov 1st, '14, 13:44

12characters wrote:
boonim wrote:This is a nice song -- seems like warm-up for the actual album cycle.

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/09/03/jay-el ... ng-rumors/

Thanks!

His response to these accusations in the verse could have been stronger, imo. Wonder why he would bring it up now - it just reminds people or restarts the discussion again.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby boonim » Nov 1st, '14, 15:55

True Wiz wrote:
boonim wrote:
His response to these accusations in the verse could have been stronger, imo. Wonder why he would bring it up now - it just reminds people or restarts the discussion again.

Rappers do that all time.

It's a marketing technique.

If Nas was still a struggling rapper who was yet to make it, it would make sense (any kind of publicity is good). But he is already a legend. And this accusation is basically questioning his legend status. If he had decided not to respond, I would understand - it's not like those who accused him had a lot of facts or even credibility(?). And there were plenty of fans who defended him and denials from Jay Electronica and stic. But he does decide to respond 2 years later and it's not enough to shut down the doubters (imo...). I just feel he does not need to this specific kind of publicity. Anyway...
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 1st, '14, 18:59

Nas and Dilla beat, the fly soliloquy.
Really like that line.
Great vibe
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Previous

Return to Hip Hop Domain