The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Religion and Rap

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: Religion and Rap

Postby Elision » Nov 2nd, '14, 18:48

tech's a pretty interesting clash of muslim and christian

(obviously there's a lot more on the subject but i won't flood the thread, pm for more)

edit: also you'll notice in all of his facepaint designs there's a cross somewhere. he claims it's to fight off demons.

also did this track on that specifically
i'm comin in, drivin my short bus
with this nose i don't need a torch up
bustin through, light the industry's porsche up
comin after who didn't support us...
imma change your brain bring
every wicked bit of strange to mainstream
-Tech N9ne #SpecialEffects2015
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Jaba » Nov 2nd, '14, 19:14

People who are offended by religion in music are just ignorant. Religion is just another view, why get pissed or not listen to something cus it has religion in it? If your gonna say that then thats like saying "oh i dont listen to so and so cus they rap about how they grew up"? idk if you guys will get what i tryna say?
Singin' "Bagpipes from Baghdad" again
In my dad's drag draggin' a faggot in a Glad bag
Won't be the last time I make a dramatic entrance like that again
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Forgive me father, for I have sinned
But hip hop has left me brainwashed with a violent streak
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Elision » Nov 2nd, '14, 19:18

Jaba wrote:People who are offended by religion in music are just ignorant. Religion is just another view, why get pissed or not listen to something cus it has religion in it? If your gonna say that then thats like saying "oh i dont listen to so and so cus they rap about how they grew up"? idk if you guys will get what i tryna say?
because the western world is brought up to believe that being offended is a right and that something must be done when they feel that way. almost no other part of the world follows this idea. but then you have other parts where it's taken to an extreme, like the east with their women. if a man feels offended by one he can just kill them, assuming they were breaking one of the 100000000 laws that apply to only women.
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Trimss » Nov 2nd, '14, 19:22

I think getting offended because an artist chooses to express his beliefs (whether he's religious or not) is kinda stupid. I also think we, as listeners, do not have to agree with everything an artist says but that shouldn't stop us from enjoying the music if it's well executed.

I think there are limits to that obviously, but you get my point.
Last edited by Trimss on Nov 2nd, '14, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Elision » Nov 2nd, '14, 19:23

Basedshady wrote:
Jaba wrote:People who are offended by religion in music are just ignorant. Religion is just another view, why get pissed or not listen to something cus it has religion in it? If your gonna say that then thats like saying "oh i dont listen to so and so cus they rap about how they grew up"? idk if you guys will get what i tryna say?

No, I completely understand it and also acknowledge i'm not the most friendly or non-radical atheist around.

I'm biased as fuck because I grew up in a church with a book that condemned me just for the sexuality I ended up having. I find it hard to support anyone who supports such beliefs seeing the hurt it has caused people, but I understand why the religious are religious. Religion does nothing but divide us and i'll be damned if I stand around and act all fucking happy about it. People's fear of death has fucked up society a whole bunch but it's also probably gotten us here at the same time.

I think it's helped society build in the past but it's time is done, you can believe in god, you can be a deist, it just doesn't make sense to follow these ancient middle eastern books. It's silly already, people like Menzo follow it so loosely I find it hard to understand why they need the church and specific faith at all.
for me atheism is a religion in the sense that it grounds my sanity. without it i'd be going fucking crazy drowning in religious theories trying to explain how the fuck i'm looking at myself in a mirror right now. feel me? but thanks to atheism i have a tangible ground to tie myself to, and it very much is a faith for me. i have to keep faith in atheism to remain sane.
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby boonim » Nov 2nd, '14, 19:32

People are not offended only by religion, but by lots of other things too -- misogyny, homophobia, etc. Music (and art, in general) influences culture -- the way people think and behave. So there is always the fear that the "wrong" kind of music will influence people in the wrong way and change society. Books have been banned, music has been demonised, etc., all in an effort to keep society on the "right track".
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Elision » Nov 2nd, '14, 21:47

Hesky wrote:I don't want to listen to Hip Hop that's saturated with religious themes for the same reason I don't want to listen to Brother Lynch-esque horrorcore about cannibalism and rape - It just isn't my cup of tea.
brotha lynch has been making the same album for like 15 years. i don't get it just fuckin eat a person or don't, shut the fuck up. this nigga been saying he's gonna eat me for like most of my life :facepalm
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby CanadaPure » Nov 2nd, '14, 22:13

I don't think it's as much an offended thing for most people as it is a "this doesn't apply to me, so I don't find it enjoyable thing".

Rapping about your childhood is one thing, even if you've grown up completely different from someone else it will always be relatable in some sense. Religion doesn't really have that. Since I'm non-religious, I'm not going to relate to preachy music. It's just not going to happen.

That being said, there's a difference to me between religious themes in music and religious themed music. The former is pretty common with a lot of rappers, and doesn't really change how I feel about the artist. Religious themed music comes off as preachy, and I tend to stay pretty far away from it.
That was me in BK on Atlantic. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) BasedSig
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby Elision » Nov 2nd, '14, 22:20

CanadaPure wrote:That being said, there's a difference to me between religious themes in music and religious themed music.
not calling you wrong, because i ultimately agree here, but just wondering. what would you consider religiously-themed but not religious?
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby CanadaPure » Nov 2nd, '14, 22:27

Elision wrote:
CanadaPure wrote:That being said, there's a difference to me between religious themes in music and religious themed music.
not calling you wrong, because i ultimately agree here, but just wondering. what would you consider religiously-themed but not religious?

That's a good question, and I'm kind of struggling to find the words for what I mean so pardon if this comes across a little bit scrambled.

Say an artist like Eminem, Tech N9ne, etc. They definitely have religious elements in their music sometimes. That's pretty undeniable. I wouldn't call their music religious themed though, because it doesn't limit itself to that.

It's like their religious beliefs are just another part of their music that gets incorporated sometimes, rather than it becoming near exclusive or preachy. If you know what I'm struggling to say properly lmao.
That was me in BK on Atlantic. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) BasedSig
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby TheVipBro » Nov 2nd, '14, 22:34

Elision wrote:

Sing about me, i'm dying of thirst - kendrick
ImageImageImageImage
#EncoreFam #TeamNewGeneration
InsaneTRex94 wrote:I say let people fuck who they want to fuck and die how they want to die, whether it be from a heart attack after a Big Mac or crushing their skulls under a weight they were trying to lift.
TheVipBro
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Elision » Nov 2nd, '14, 23:05

CanadaPure wrote:
Elision wrote:

That's a good question, and I'm kind of struggling to find the words for what I mean so pardon if this comes across a little bit scrambled.

Say an artist like Eminem, Tech N9ne, etc. They definitely have religious elements in their music sometimes. That's pretty undeniable. I wouldn't call their music religious themed though, because it doesn't limit itself to that.

It's like their religious beliefs are just another part of their music that gets incorporated sometimes, rather than it becoming near exclusive or preachy. If you know what I'm struggling to say properly lmao.
i feel ya :y:
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Previous