The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Tyson Sues Diddy, Leaves Modeling Biz

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Tyson Sues Diddy, Leaves Modeling Biz

Postby eminemcaparica » Sep 6th, '05, 19:05

Supermodel Tyson Beckford is retiring from modeling and suing Sean "Diddy" Combs for breach of contract and trademark infringement, claiming that Combs' Sean John clothing label used his image in print ads after informing Beckford's management they would no longer do so.

Beckford asserts to the NY Daily News reporter Jego Armstong, "Sean John has turned me off to the fashion world." After his latest dispute with the rap mogul's clothing line and serious auto accident this summer, the former Ralph Lauren mainstay is leaving the runway behind to pursue his other passions, which include acting and ironically, auto racing.

"He doesn't understand fashion. If he wasn't in the music business, he wouldn't be in fashion," Beckford continued about Combs. "I was doing the brother a favor."

Halfway through Beckford's $1.2 million contract last April, Sean John informed his manager Beth Ann Hardison they would no longer use the 32-year old's image in its advertisements and thus would not pay him the remaining $600,000. However, according to court documents, Beckford's image later appeared on the company's website and in a full-page Sean John ad in The Source magazine.

Beckford is reportedly suing Combs' companies for $5 million in damages.

"They had a contract that was in existence that was not honored, and in addition to that, my client's image was continually used to market, promote and sell clothing distributed and made by Sean John," said Beckford's lawyer, Kenneth Montgomery.

Sean John representatives released a statement saying: "While we don't generally comment on pending litigation, we feel this action against us is without merit. We plan on vigorously defending ourselves."
eminemcaparica
Role Model
Role Model

Return to Hip Hop Domain