The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Eminem's Peak (In Every Sense)...

This sub-forum is for videos and footage, content regarding award shows and media, as well as the charting of albums, singles, etc.

Re: Eminem's Peak (In Every Sense)...

Postby NastyAngel » Nov 26th, '10, 13:44

Better performances are form the concerts he made in the period 1999-2001. :y:
NastyAngel
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby HereHere » Nov 26th, '10, 14:25

I agree that Lose Yourself was probably his peak, I don't like it as much as the majority seems to but that was the last amazing song he did before he got heavily into drugs and fucked up.
HereHere
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Nov 26th, '10, 15:45

seen better from Em
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby shadybaby46 » Nov 26th, '10, 15:48

In terms of the video, it was probably his peak in terms of popularity, I mean how often are rappers on the Grammy's? but you can't say "in every sense" , then say "in every musical sense" when someone brings up a better point then you.
ill hurt you again perform surgery with a pen, im like 10 cats in 1 im 1 cat that murders 10! -necro
shadybaby46
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby xxTrigger1989xx » Nov 26th, '10, 15:51

The Eminem Show and 8 Mile
THAT was his peak. Maybe not performance-wise, but musically that was his peak

Came back to annihilate, the game's in dire straights, as I await
Word on Satan, as I drop, fall to my knees before this Quija board and I pray
Now I lay me down to sleep
I do this shit in my sleep, I’m sleepin' now, imagine if I awake

Props to randomgirl for the sig.
xxTrigger1989xx
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby EminemBase » Nov 26th, '10, 15:58

shadybaby46 wrote:In terms of the video, it was probably his peak in terms of popularity, I mean how often are rappers on the Grammy's? but you can't say "in every sense" , then say "in every musical sense" when someone brings up a better point then you.

No that was to just debate the creativity of the previous two albums.

By every sense, I mean as a musician /artist. He had more creative ideas on his first two albums but it was a choice for The Eminem Show to be that so it's hardly a decline in creativity. It wasn't his peak in 'concepts' but he wasn't trying to create concepts or inventive ideas in that period so I think it's... improper to say it was a step-down, if he wasn't trying to do that.

I think had he tried to create concepts in that period, as opposed to creating the personal material, then it would of blown previous stuff out the water. I'm talking, his peak as a technical artist in every sense. Your taste on the content, is a different matter.

So I stand by 'every sense' as a musician / artist. I think 2002 was his peak in popularity, in song-writing, as a rapper, as a lyricist etc.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby shadybaby46 » Nov 26th, '10, 16:15

EminemBase wrote:
shadybaby46 wrote:In terms of the video, it was probably his peak in terms of popularity, I mean how often are rappers on the Grammy's? but you can't say "in every sense" , then say "in every musical sense" when someone brings up a better point then you.

By every sense, I mean as a musician /artist. He had more creative ideas on his first two albums but it was a choice for The Eminem Show to be that so it's hardly a decline in creativity. It wasn't his peak in 'concepts' but he wasn't trying to create concepts or inventive ideas in that period so I think it's... improper to say it was a step-down, if he wasn't trying to do that.

I think had he tried to create concepts in that period, as opposed to creating the personal material, then it would of blown previous stuff out the water. I'm talking, his peak as a technical artist in every sense. Your taste on the content, is a different matter.

So I stand by 'every sense' as a musician / artist. I think 2002 was his peak in popularity, in song-writing, as a rapper, as a lyricist etc.

:/ .. you're not getting what I'm saying.

you put a video of a performance, and title it "Eminem's peak in every sense" , and to say that was his peak in terms of performing would be ridiculous.

Also, in terms of his music popularity, did the MMLP not end up in the Guinness book of world records for most first week sales? ;)
ill hurt you again perform surgery with a pen, im like 10 cats in 1 im 1 cat that murders 10! -necro
shadybaby46
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby EminemBase » Nov 26th, '10, 16:41

shadybaby46 wrote:
EminemBase wrote:

:/ .. you're not getting what I'm saying.

you put a video of a performance, and title it "Eminem's peak in every sense" , and to say that was his peak in terms of performing would be ridiculous.

Also, in terms of his music popularity, did the MMLP not end up in the Guinness book of world records for most first week sales? ;)

Yes I got and am still getting what you are saying.

I posted a video from this period. I'm saying this period was his peak in every sense, people are taking this specific performance and video way too literally as if I'm saying this exact moment is his peak in every sense. I mean this time period.

Of course he's had better performances, or at least... I can think of a ton of more iconic ones instantly - "Criminal" and the whole Up In Smoke Tour for one. AND, it wouldn't be "ridiculous" to say this was his peak of performing even if somebody genuinely thought that.

Ridiculous in your estimation but to say it would be 'ridiculous' like it's a fact it wasn't is just silly. It would be ridiculous to say you could shoot yourself in the head with a shotgun and survive, it would be ridiculous to say you could drink a litre of acid and come out on top, it would be ridiculous to say you could blow a house over with your breath.

It wouldn't be ridiculous to say this was the peak of Eminem's performance. But I don't think that this specific performance is anyway. But I do think this period was.

This video was simply to imply this period as his peak. And yes The Marshall Mathers LP has the biggest 1st week sales of any solo artist, but that was in America. It doesn't mean it was his peak in popularity as a global artist.

The Eminem Show and 8 Mile put him on a whole new level. He was like Elvis.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby mecuryball » Nov 26th, '10, 18:31

#EminemBase
i second that....Eminem wasn't that popular internationally untill 2002.
mecuryball
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EminemInsider » Nov 26th, '10, 19:29

EminemBase wrote:^ It had more inventive concepts but the premise and execution of MMLP steamrolls SSLP ten times over. It's a much bigger and more important album.

The Slim Shady LP is a GREAT album but it's not a masterpiece, MMLP is.

Don't see how you can say it's bigger/more important...it's the more famous and popular album amongst the mainstream, but SSLP is what got him big. It was the catalyst to his entire career (well, actually the EP was...but the EP was the framework for the LP).

SSLP is a masterpiece. MMLP is an album targeted at all the fallout from the SSLP. It's Eminem becoming a target that shoots back.

Without the SSLP, there would be no MMLP...in ANY way you want to look at it.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EminemInsider » Nov 26th, '10, 19:32

Amadeo wrote:He didn't have nearly as much energy as some performances from 1999-2002.

Maybe because he was starting to take a lot of pills in this era (2003). He slurs some of his words and he's just slow moving around the stage. He looks tired, too.

His performance peak (IMO) was The Up in Smoke tour and other performances around that time (1999-2000).

His lyrical peak was SSLP. His voice was at its most powerful and versatile on MMLP.

Yeah, the impression I always get from watching this performance is, "one for the road." It was like...Eminem's Last Stand. The drugs were starting to get to him and this was the last we'd see of him being even recognizable before he fell into the 5 year pit.

He sounds like he has a cold.
Canning: What will it say on your tombstone?
Charlie Sheen: Something dot com.

Canibus & Eminem Converse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWB62t2_wJE
EminemInsider
Soldier
Soldier

Postby danny-mcf » Nov 26th, '10, 19:40

Slim Shady LP the greatest
The Marshall Mathers was a classic
The Eminem Show was fantastic
But Encore just didn't have the caliber to match it
danny-mcf
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby EminemBase » Nov 26th, '10, 19:40

EminemInsider wrote:
EminemBase wrote:^ It had more inventive concepts but the premise and execution of MMLP steamrolls SSLP ten times over. It's a much bigger and more important album.

The Slim Shady LP is a GREAT album but it's not a masterpiece, MMLP is.

Don't see how you can say it's bigger/more important...it's the more famous and popular album amongst the mainstream, but SSLP is what got him big. It was the catalyst to his entire career (well, actually the EP was...but the EP was the framework for the LP).

SSLP is a masterpiece. MMLP is an album targeted at all the fallout from the SSLP. It's Eminem becoming a target that shoots back.

Without the SSLP, there would be no MMLP...in ANY way you want to look at it.

It's bigger and more important in every way.

As an album, as a piece of art - historically, musically. It's more coherent, more focused, has more of an aim and means more due to it being reactionary.

SSLP is not a masterpiece. A masterpiece has to have some directive aim. SSLP is a collection of creative, edgy songs. MMLP is a masterpiece.

He consumes every criticism and becomes it for an entire album. It's a powerhouse of an album, a single-vision, complete (wonderful) bigotry on record. It's more aware, more political, more assured. It's a better album and an incredible achievement and by far the biggest and most accurate example of Eminem's genius in one offering.

It's everything about it too. Aside from just the music / lyrics, it's the timing of it also. It was like its own movement, as a single album. SSLP wasn't that. SSLP was him embodying certain ideas and mindsets and creating edgy music, just to create it.

MMLP, he has a world-stage focusing on him. The entire premise of the album, of him becoming whatever you say he is, the way he did that for a whole album in that way, it blows SSLP out of the water. It's not just a collection of songs, it's a masterpiece.

I remember seeing a critic say MMLP was the first hip-hop album to 'assume World Wide attention' too, which is a brilliant point. The fact that he assumed the world was listening - Which they were, but partly because he acted like they were. Because he wasn't HUGE after SSLP. He was getting there, but the fact he knew he would be THAT huge by album #2, and assumed all that and created MMLP in that way speaks volumes of his astuteness as an artist. Very calculated.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby NicoleEM » Nov 26th, '10, 20:06

He does look a bit tired or smth,but considering he had a live band backing him up ,instead of a cd,i think he did very good.Plus at the end the band kind of messed it up :unsure:
"You just hurt my god damn feelin' and that was the last one i had"
NicoleEM
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Elision » Nov 26th, '10, 20:17

Not lyrically.

And I fucking hate how dead-silent the crowd is in this :angry:
i'm comin in, drivin my short bus
with this nose i don't need a torch up
bustin through, light the industry's porsche up
comin after who didn't support us...