The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

[Tutorial][FlStudio 7] Creating a Bassline

A place for producers, engineers and DJ's to share their creations, mixes, tips, and tutorials.

[Tutorial][FlStudio 7] Creating a Bassline

Postby Tash8 » Jun 3rd, '07, 01:31

Ok, so this tutorial as the title says is how to make easy basslines,now this is just a method i developed for myself, it might not suit everyone but it can be a starting place for you, and give you some idea's, i used to have alot of trouble when it came to basslines, and never really got much help from anyone. something you will learn as you go along is other people are not that willing to help, and most will only tell you where you messed up, and not whats actually good unless there looking for something in return. then they love your shit and you make that FIYAHHH !!!!!!, YEA.

On to the tutorial........

To get the samples im using visit:

http://smd-records.com/Websites/TR-808/page/samples.htm

If you take a look at the image below, you'll see not a bassline pattern, but in fact a hi-hat pattern
CH = Closed Hats
OH = Open Hats.
Below these there is a soundfont that i use for my basslines. its called Street Bass and can be download free from http://www.sf2midi.com you have to register thats free aswell though. i personally like this soundfont alot.

Ok, so now what i want you do do is copy the pattern from CH To Street Bass, you should now be looking at the same image as i have below.

Now i want you to add the pattern from the OH To Street Bass
and you should have the same image as i have below

So where almost there, now what i want you to do is Right click (might be left click for the US, but Europe is right click.) Where the street bass soundfont is located, and then select send to piano roll
you should now be looking at the same image as below

now if you play this patten as it is, you will notice the basline is boring, and hitting the same times as the hats, while hitting the same time as the hats isnt a problem the boringness is. !!!!

Take a look at the image below. Notice how i moved 2nd - 8th - 13th to different locations?
try moving yours to the same places and then play the pattern back.

now take a look at the next image and copy it, and try your pattern then play it to see how it sounds

Now on the last image you will notice 2 things,
1): the note length varies on each note.
2): the velocity\volume varies also.

To change the note length select the grid to the left of where it says Piano roll - Street Bass - Velocity -
then select none, you will now be able to adjust the note length as i have.

To change the velocity just click below and drag the length up or down.

And so there you have it. i hope this tutorial has helped you learn somethings about bassline, but dont just copy mine, expierment and try coming up with your own methods, as i said this is just a method to get you started, and to give you some ideas of your own. if you have any comments or want to comment on this tutorial then please feel free to post in the forum and ill respond ASAP

-----------------------------

Not my tutorial, credit goes to Jont, original maker of this tutorial
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Re: [Tutorial][FlStudio 7] Creating a Bassline

Postby Hadez » Jun 3rd, '07, 03:45

Tash8 wrote:and never really got much help from anyone. something you will learn as you go along is other people are not that willing to help

Tash8 wrote:Not my tutorial, credit goes to Jont, original maker of this tutorial

glad you said that cuz i was bout to get pissed.
Hadez
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: [Tutorial][FlStudio 7] Creating a Bassline

Postby Tash8 » Jun 3rd, '07, 04:07

lol nah, i wouldn't say that, you and ice have been a great help propz
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Return to The Studio