The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Becoming a writer-------> Artist; Writing & Mic discussion.

Becoming a writer-------> Artist; Writing & Mic discussion.

Postby J.R. » Aug 21st, '11, 02:43

Writing tips and tricks and discussion here, along with working towards becoming an artist/ mic discussion here.
J.R.
Renegade
Renegade

Re: Becoming a writer-------> Artist; Writing & Mic discussi

Postby Solace » Aug 21st, '11, 02:50

Well I'm not much of an artist, if you check out my tracks you'll hear I'm a beginner as well. Just try to get collabs for practice before trying to complete a full 3 verse song or even get the idea of a mixtape/album. And when you do tracks, don't be boring. You can do adlibs, overlays, pan shit around, all that wonderful stuff. Just make sure you get the best out of your mixing.

Writing just gets better as you do it. You realize doing up to 6 syllable rhymes aren't difficult, where as when you started you probably thought a 3 syllable rhyme was impressive. It just comes with time. Expand your artists, listen to better ones. Don't always narrow yourself to one avenue of writing. Be aggressive, and show your talent. But you have a personal life too, show your emotions. Etc. Versatility is key in a full artist. And growth/evolving/maturing is key as well. Don't keep the same flow and mindset throughout the years (though I think living life does that for you anyway). Think about what you have problems with and what could possibly help you improve in that area too.

I'm just ranting some bullshit tbh I'm not a teacher lols

balls.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby EyeSpick » Aug 21st, '11, 02:56

Don't. Honestly the art is over populated. Join your high school band and get a scholar ship. Learn to play an instrument. Write poetry. Write short stories. Something academically valuable so you can get recognized for it. Wanting to be rapper is like wanting to be a lawyer right now. Not a good investment.
EminemBase wrote:Of course nothing is ever 100%, no questions asked absolute. We can't even prove we're not in fact living in a dream for example and aren't in fact the imaginations of some 'other selves' far far away. But that doesn't make the chances 50/50 like a fucking coin toss.
EyeSpick
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby J.R. » Aug 21st, '11, 02:57

EyeSpick wrote:Don't. Honestly the art is over populated. Join your high school band and get a scholar ship. Learn to play an instrument. Write poetry. Write short stories. Something academically valuable so you can get recognized for it. Wanting to be rapper is like wanting to be a lawyer right now. Not a good investment.

Bad investments make millionaires from time to time.
J.R.
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Solace » Aug 21st, '11, 02:57

^As a career? Definitely horrible to try and become the next famous rapper. But for a hobby there's nothing wrong with that.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby J.R. » Aug 21st, '11, 03:02

Now, as I was saying on the terms of mic, my cheap ass will probably use an xbox live mic, record it with some shitty device, and edit it and play around. Got a friend making a beat in FL studios (LMAO) and it should be...funny xD
J.R.
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Solace » Aug 21st, '11, 03:03

Record and mix your tracks in Cool Edit/Adobe whenever you get to your real stuff.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Sam. » Aug 21st, '11, 11:42

EyeSpick wrote:Don't. Honestly the art is over populated. Join your high school band and get a scholar ship. Learn to play an instrument. Write poetry. Write short stories. Something academically valuable so you can get recognized for it. Wanting to be rapper is like wanting to be a lawyer right now. Not a good investment.

:y:
The truth ,you cant write dope ass rap verses unless you do some poetry ,this is some thing that i would have said myself.

Also ,listen to as many rappers as possible ,with the passing time you can weed out the weak one's ,listen to lyrics ,understand them ,that will definitely help you as a writer .
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Sam. » Aug 22nd, '11, 11:07

Menzo wrote:Drugs.

But Menzo ..M&M'Z almost died because of that ? :'(
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Sam. » Aug 22nd, '11, 11:30

Menzo wrote:
MCSam wrote:
Menzo wrote:Drugs.

But Menzo ..M&M'Z almost died because of that ? :'(

He was taking the wrong ones, hence the awful music of that era.

So what are the right one's ? :coffee:
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby VenomBlackViper » Aug 22nd, '11, 11:36

Hit the nail on the head here, if you're going to try being a rapper do it secondary but have another real way of making money first before you pursue a rap career. Not only will the money fund your career but even if you realize you suck & don't make it you won't have thrown your life away chasing it since you'll have a different main source of income already.
VenomBlackViper
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Suicide » Aug 23rd, '11, 23:09

Never really post in this section. But, here's my thoughts (although most of you have already said them.)

1. Not to be crushing anyones dreams or anything, but your most likely not going to get famous. So get a job and write/record on the side. ( This is my plan :smoking: )

2. If you want to be talented in hip hop then at least try to write, rap (out loud to yourself), and if you can then record at least every day. Rapping is an everyday thing, it'll hone your skills. (Studios are expensive, but if you have your own job and money then you can set up some sort of home studio)

3. You have to be active. Show your songs/albums to people. Promote yourself as much as possible. Get on the internet to promote yourself, some people get noticed like this if they're good enough.

4. Realize that rapping isn't for everyone and give up if your not having any fun or joy out of it as a hobby. (Or if your just in it for the money)

5. If your making an album/song, make a video for it (On a budget of course). People watch that shit. It gets you noticed.

Now I need to hurry and follow my own advice. :smoking:
Suicide
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Aug 26th, '11, 08:29

Personally, I think if you have the drive, you can become famous. It's all in dedication. However, you should always have something supporting you if it doesn't work out. For me, I love acting and the whole art, but I aspire to be a rapper too. If in the worst case nothing happens, I have that and other things to fall back on. In my opinion, and I very well could be wrong, but if your drive's strong enough, why not? Just equip a parachute just in case.
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Words » Sep 19th, '11, 18:51

Am I odd that I write my songs in reverse? Before I make the beat I usually write. It's because I don't often have the chance to sit down and make beats, but I can write when/where ever. I know usually, most people write the lyrics after they have a beat. :facepalm
Blu wrote:I think Words is my new favorite member.. haha Thanks man! :y:
Words
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Ka0t1c » Sep 19th, '11, 20:56

i write without a beat, and i just be myself, the only thing is i'm a sad, negative boring person now, with weed and friends, sometimes alcohol, i can cheer up for a track, i write a lot, used to everyday, if u read my lyrics, most of em have complex patterns throughout, i used to be abstract, now concrete, i toned down my vocab so its more understanding and human like, help me with choruses, someone, and B. Nuts still owes me dammit
oh yeah... and thanks for nothing too
Ka0t1c
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to C.W. Lounge