The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Questions on Lyricism

Questions on Lyricism

Postby Man1x » Nov 3rd, '11, 03:19

1.) Lots of people say rapper's have different styles, I kind of get this and kind of don't. Please explain what makes them different.

2.) Who are some good wordplay artists and how can I improve wordplay. Also, is this wordplay:
The bull hits red/
So get invest/

I know it's crap and isn't worded correctly but it was off the top my head. Bull hit = bullet, invest = in bullet proof vest.

3.) What are the different types of wordplay cause they are not all the same I've noticed.

4.) How can I improve my flow on paper other than inserting inner rhymes (if there is no other way then no problem). If there is a way explain in depth.

5.) What are the all the technicalities of rap? I know there is multis, wordplay, puns. There any others?

6.) What are some good American pun rappers with good beats. Honestly, I can't stand the normal British rapping accent, seams too forced and I can't enjoy it. No offense, I just prefer Ameican and Canadian deliveries. Also, how can I improve my puns?

7.) Last, how can you tell the difference between flows, like how Tech N9ne does his chopper thing compared to Eminem's slow flow. I mean I was reading the JB rap thread in Hip Hop section, everyone was saying he had a Kanye flow, it really confused me and is kinda the reason why I wrote this.

8.) If there any websites that clearly explain all of these things I am asking, if not it's all good.

If anyone can answer just one of these, it'd be appreciated. :y:
#TeamK.Dot
#TeamYeezy
#TeamBigM
Man1x
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Questions on Lyricism

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 3rd, '11, 05:16

1) Different styles are different ways of structuring your bars, delivery, flow, language, techniques, and all that. For example, Em's style is NOTHING like Jay-Z's.

2)Biggie was a good one for this. Nas, Big L... you just gotta become more witty.

3) Different types of wordplay... hmm, hard to explain, but I'll try. There are literal wordplay like Em's "Suck my dick on the couch if you wanna cushion the blow", and the others I've notced are like punchline. I'm weak in this, so correct me.

4) Spit it out loud, and syllable count. If it sounds seamless, you got it.

5)There's also delivery, alliteration, assonance, cadence, visualization... many things. I have a lot to work on too.

6)Can't help you there... All I know is Ludacris. My Hip Hop knowledge is sadly small lol. And practice!

7)It's just the way they deliver on the beat, really. Kanye's flow's different to Tech's.

8) Read Flocabulary, shit got me to where I am. :y:
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Sam. » Nov 3rd, '11, 19:58

1> Listen to two songs from two different artist back to back ,you'll notice the difference and that my frind is Style.For Ex:Spoonfull and Eminem.

2>Jigga and Nasty Nas. :laughing:

3>Google is your best friend.

4>You're writing a Rap song right ? They are meant to be spit on the Mic.

6>Mac Miller maybe ?

5,7,8> RIJP
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Man1x » Nov 3rd, '11, 23:35

What's Flocabulary?
#TeamK.Dot
#TeamYeezy
#TeamBigM
Man1x
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Sam. » Nov 3rd, '11, 23:43

Man1x wrote:What's Flocabulary?

http://www.flocabulary.com/freestylerap/

Read all that's mentioned here and also the Links in them.
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Sam. » Nov 4th, '11, 22:43

CREAM killed it. :worship:
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Man1x » Nov 4th, '11, 22:57

Yo, thank you guys for this information
#TeamK.Dot
#TeamYeezy
#TeamBigM
Man1x
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 5th, '11, 20:42

Wait... wtf happened to Class?
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Sam. » Nov 5th, '11, 20:50

He is alive and well ,I saw him posting New Music on his FB Page.
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Spyder » Nov 6th, '11, 15:27

Sam. wrote:He is alive and well ,I saw him posting New Music on his FB Page.

no shit

hes just creating post as another member

i remember cole "got kicked out his house" and couldnt come on for a month,
but he told me later he was building up posts for Relapse.LP
convenient how he came back at the beginning of a tournament huh?
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Spyder » Nov 6th, '11, 15:38

1.) Lots of people say rapper's have different styles, I kind of get this and kind of don't. Please explain what makes them different.

2.) Who are some good wordplay artists and how can I improve wordplay. Also, is this wordplay:
The bull hits red/
So get invest/

I know it's crap and isn't worded correctly but it was off the top my head. Bull hit = bullet, invest = in bullet proof vest.

3.) What are the different types of wordplay cause they are not all the same I've noticed.

4.) How can I improve my flow on paper other than inserting inner rhymes (if there is no other way then no problem). If there is a way explain in depth.

5.) What are the all the technicalities of rap? I know there is multis, wordplay, puns. There any others?

6.) What are some good American pun rappers with good beats. Honestly, I can't stand the normal British rapping accent, seams too forced and I can't enjoy it. No offense, I just prefer Ameican and Canadian deliveries. Also, how can I improve my puns?

7.) Last, how can you tell the difference between flows, like how Tech N9ne does his chopper thing compared to Eminem's slow flow. I mean I was reading the JB rap thread in Hip Hop section, everyone was saying he had a Kanye flow, it really confused me and is kinda the reason why I wrote this.

8.) If there any websites that clearly explain all of these things I am asking, if not it's all good.

1- what everyone else said, they bring a certain delivery and persistent flow that becomes unique with them. youd know if someone was trying to copy Ems new flow right?

2-Joe Budden, Copywrite, Fabolous, Big Pun, Big L, Hitchcock.
its technically wordplay but i wouldnt of picked up on it, especially as dope. listen to those artists and see how they bend words, keep practicing and turn everything into a punch.

3- the most common is punches, but you can wordplay anything. idk what you mean here but im guessing its that you can use them in punches or just ways to make you think.

4- to start with dont use really complex vocab, a large vocab doesnt always mean large words. make sure the syllable count of the multies are the same and the line syllables are within five of eachother. use appropriate punctuation. periods and commas let the ready know a sentence has ended or is pausing. the more commas can make it a choppy flow like Tech, and can be useful.

5-multies wordplay/punches inners complexity flow delivery topic choice redundancy

6-all the punch rappers i said above, and Lupe has good wordplay but doesnt do punches really

7-just what i said above for flow
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Slim Fiasco » Nov 6th, '11, 17:53

Just to add a bit more info but GameTheory and the others explained ish well.

2.) Who are some good wordplay artists and how can I improve wordplay

Same as C.R.E.A.M. my favorite wordplay artist is Lupe Fiasco. You should peep these breakdown videos of some of his songs (check out all the related ones from that uploader as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8uRENV ... re=related

Check that thread that *name* mentioned :D

This is basically what figures of speech are. It can all be connected with rap just as it is with poetry; here's the extensive list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figures_of_speech

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_forms_of_word_play

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Sam. » Nov 6th, '11, 19:19

CREAM > *name*
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Slim Fiasco » Nov 6th, '11, 19:29

*name* wrote:
Slim Fiasco wrote:GameTheory and the others explained ish well.

Same as C.R.E.A.M.

Check that thread that *name* mentioned :D

Hahahaha lmao. :worship:

hahah, thought you would notice that :D

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 8th, '11, 14:58

Sam. wrote:CREAM > *name*

:b: But do you get it now, Man1x?
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Next

Return to C.W. Lounge