The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

How do you freestyle?

How do you freestyle?

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 04:57

Idunno if here's a good place to post it, but how do you become really skilled at freestyling? I'm horrible, I stumble over words and I don't know what to say half the time. Anyone got some advice?
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Re: How do you freestyle?

Postby iain08 » Nov 20th, '11, 04:59

when i'm drunk I'm actually fairly good at it, but i'll say a line then won't think of the next rhyme until I say it. usually it's even a multi, but when i'm sober I can't do shit. not that I really try to do it when i'm sober tho.

but nope, I have no advice lol.
iain08
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 05:07

Menzo wrote:Keep stumbling, because in the future you'll remember the words you stumbled over and learn from there.

But the way I freestyle is...literally look at things around me and just rhyme with it, and if I notice I start doing garbage and resorting to single syllables, I just spit a few bars of pre-written then pick another thing around me. I do it all the time, it's fun.

But really, I'm still shit despite being able to pull my weight for a few minutes at a time...also, don't go to fast. That's what a lot of people do, especially people who aren't affiliated with Hip-Hop that much. Take it slow basically, and just expand your vocab.

Honestly, the more words I write in my notebook, the more stick to my mind.

That's what I do, when I go slow, I'm much better. I always thought I'd have to spit faster. :/
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 05:20

Menzo wrote:
JamaicanPattlez wrote:
Menzo wrote:Keep stumbling, because in the future you'll remember the words you stumbled over and learn from there.

But the way I freestyle is...literally look at things around me and just rhyme with it, and if I notice I start doing garbage and resorting to single syllables, I just spit a few bars of pre-written then pick another thing around me. I do it all the time, it's fun.

But really, I'm still shit despite being able to pull my weight for a few minutes at a time...also, don't go to fast. That's what a lot of people do, especially people who aren't affiliated with Hip-Hop that much. Take it slow basically, and just expand your vocab.

Honestly, the more words I write in my notebook, the more stick to my mind.

That's what I do, when I go slow, I'm much better. I always thought I'd have to spit faster. :/

Nah man, just as long as you aren't Lil Wayne slow lol

Haha. How long did it take you?
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 05:27

Menzo wrote:
JamaicanPattlez wrote:Haha. How long did it take you?

How long did what take me, son?

To get to where you are, how often do you practice?
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 05:53

Ohhh... I usually do it once a day. :confusion:
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 06:02

Menzo wrote:
JamaicanPattlez wrote:Ohhh... I usually do it once a day. :confusion:

As long as you practice at all, homie.

I'm hardly ever conscious of what's around me, I'm almost always day dreaming or...thinking of rhymes or funny punchlines. Always.

Sucks when it's during a fuckin exam.

I think think is the mindset I need to adapt to, because I need to be thinking of words anyway. The more I can freestyle, the better I'll write.
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 06:10

Yeah, I bet! I have melodies in my head, but no words. I need to drive myself crazy with it. :8)
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 06:14

Menzo wrote:
JamaicanPattlez wrote:Yeah, I bet! I have melodies in my head, but no words. I need to drive myself crazy with it. :8)

Yeah, I get melodies going too. If I could produce anything, I'd be doing it all day but...I can't lol

FL Studio. :y: I've literally snagged so many VSTs already. I can play Pistol Pistol's hook on a piano roll too. :smoking:
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 06:30

I only started last week. :D
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby JamaicanPattlez » Nov 20th, '11, 07:29

Menzo wrote:
JamaicanPattlez wrote:I only started last week. :D

Better than never lol.

Truth. I'd prefer a studio though, so I'm going to school for that. Mix/Mastering, all o' that. Btw, any tips for not stuttering when you spit?
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby BigBoss » Nov 20th, '11, 09:05

Im just getting over over my studdering problem when I rap

Just keep practicing
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Sam. » Nov 20th, '11, 19:26

Download "Rappers Handbook", it has lot's of Tips on freestyling.
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Slim Fiasco » Nov 20th, '11, 19:50

Most important thing is confidence. When you do it and feel like you the best, it'd be easier to maintain the necessary focus. Of course you need to practice as well. The best way to practice is to say things and MEAN/THINK to say something that makes sense!! Like, say a line and wait for 4 minutes if you have to, but the next thing you say should make sense.

It can be something retarded like - I'm typing these words with ease/ My heart is colder than Mr. Freeze. It really doesn't matter because with time you'll come up with better rhymes and you'll be fast at it, but the key is to make sense. Because if you focus on not stuttering and not stopping - you'll end up saying gibberish. It's also very important to do it in yourself when walking around or before falling asleep and to do it as often as possible.

If you're learning how to rap, check out my tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165230

The Right Way To Be A Hip-Hop Fan - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=168550
Slim Fiasco
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Sam. » Nov 20th, '11, 19:54

Dude! You have so much knowledge then why not write?
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Next

Return to C.W. Lounge