The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Syllables and flow!?

Syllables and flow!?

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » May 18th, '12, 03:29

Hey guys, just looking for some advice here, I just wrote a verse and everything (not neccessarily to the same beat the whole time) I went over it, counted the syllables and edited it up so that each line would have the same amount of syllables give or take 1 or 2, But I just cant seem to make it flow correctly it just sounds a little more "choppier" than I would like it to be. So my ? do the same # of syllables mean better flow? if so I must be doing something wrong, however its not a big deal I can still make it flow just fine the only problem is that all the lines wouldnt match up in syllables neccessarily, also could it be that I started the first line off with like 6 fewer syllables than the rest of the lines? (After the first line all the syllables match up for the most part lol)
Just trying to figure this out lol. hopefully someone can help!

Peace Homies! :o :b:
"Shady said it Shady meant it, I stay demented, Ill throw a stroller at you, with a baby in it"
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Syllables and flow!?

Postby JamaicanPattlez » May 18th, '12, 03:33

Having the same number of syllables in the same lines doesn't always equal incredible flow. But I think the issue here is, because you didn't write to the beat the whole time, it's gonna sound choppy. That's why, lol. Unless you had the drum patterns memorized in your head and you wrote to that.
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » May 18th, '12, 03:36

HAHA I most definitely did not, The only reason I didnt play the same beat the whole time was because I thought matching up the syllables would eliminate the need for the beat lol!! Thanks for the help dude.
"Shady said it Shady meant it, I stay demented, Ill throw a stroller at you, with a baby in it"
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » May 18th, '12, 03:36

Another ? I have is, is there a limit to how many syllables you should put into a line??? I'm going with about 15-16 syllables on this piece
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby JamaicanPattlez » May 18th, '12, 03:43

The number of syllables of how you put on a line depends on your ability to flow, and that beat you're trying to flow on. Some can do double time flows and put 30 syllables on a line when a flow at regular speed is at 15, for example.
Horsebot3K wrote:
Usernamesarehard wrote:My dick is going in your mouth whether you like it or not bipolar fuck boy.

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Ticalrecords » May 18th, '12, 03:45

unless its a slow beat 10 - 13 syllables is all you need imo, but iv heard eminem put 17 sylables in one line: "what about the make up you allow your twelve year old daughter to wear" ( from who knew). it all depends on the flow and the bpm of the beat
Ticalrecords
Soldier
Soldier

Postby JamaicanPattlez » May 18th, '12, 03:50

Ticalrecords wrote:unless its a slow beat 10 - 13 syllables is all you need imo, but iv heard eminem put 17 sylables in one line: "what about the make up you allow your twelve year old daughter to wear" ( from who knew). it all depends on the flow and the bpm of the beat

This, basically. Speed of the beat and your technical ability to flow usually tells you what your limits are.
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » May 18th, '12, 03:54

Okay this helps a lot, so if I get on a slow beat I can throw in a few more syllables, also would it be possible just to split the lines in half and add some things here and there?? I will re edit it better, I just dont want to re edit it and it still be wrong, although this time Im finding a beat and using the same one! haha
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby JamaicanPattlez » May 18th, '12, 04:12

That really all depends, I think you should show us the verse and we can go from there.
Horsebot3K wrote:

JamaicanPattlez
Renegade
Renegade

Return to C.W. Lounge