The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Best Mic on a budget??

Best Mic on a budget??

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » Jul 19th, '12, 21:12

First of all, I know this is probably the wrong section but I figured I'd get more responses here.

I'm want to start recording but I have no idea what equipment to buy. First thing I'm getting is a mic I was wondering what kind are the best for preferably under $200?

Also if anyone could give me some advice on what else I might need to start recording like programs and such would be great! Thanks guys! PEACE
"Shady said it Shady meant it, I stay demented, Ill throw a stroller at you, with a baby in it"
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Best Mic on a budget??

Postby Nick419 » Jul 19th, '12, 21:44

I got an Audio technica at2020 USB Condenser mic for $150 at Guitar Center (you can actually find it cheaper online) worth every penny
RIP Big proof~Broken hearted, my soul's like a open target
And I'm ready to leave Earth
You step to my death next year on my T-shirt
Nick419
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Nick419 » Jul 19th, '12, 21:46

Cool edit pro is a great program to start with as well
Nick419
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Jul 19th, '12, 22:38

Nick419 wrote:I got an Audio technica at2020 USB Condenser mic for $150 at Guitar Center (you can actually find it cheaper online) worth every penny

This mic fucking sucks. Do NOT get this mic.

I got this mic, it broke within 2 months, the carrying bag it came with was recalled for lead poisoning... it's just :laughing: how bad this mic is. The cord that plugs into it doesn't connect 90% of the time so you can't record at all, and when the blue light comes on the quality is pure shit.

I'm looking for a new mic as well, just type in "USB Condensor mic" on Amazon, you'll find better ones for $70 that are better than this piece of shit.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » Jul 19th, '12, 22:39

Thanks guys! I'm on craigslist right now, going to see what i can find and then look up reviews on everything.. I kind of want one of those mics that have the soft round things that come with them, It is maybe like something that eliminates other sound? idk lol anyways thanks a lot!
"Shady said it Shady meant it, I stay demented, Ill throw a stroller at you, with a baby in it"
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Jul 19th, '12, 22:40

ShAdYTiLIDie wrote:Thanks guys! I'm on craigslist right now, going to see what i can find and then look up reviews on everything.. I kind of want one of those mics that have the soft round things that come with them, It is maybe like something that eliminates other sound? idk lol anyways thanks a lot!

You mean a pop filter? Just use a coat hanger and pantyhose. Wrap the pantyhose around the coat hanger so it's stretched and just hang that in front of the mic (or hold it) when you spit. That's what I do rather than buy a $30 pop filter.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Solace » Jul 19th, '12, 22:44

The foam (the soft round things as you called them lol) you can just buy for any mic, it can help muffle your pops as far as I know; but it isn't as effective as a pop filter and quiets the recording volume. One major thing to know is that if you can mix (learn to of course; always mix your own shit) you can make a crap mic sound really decent, so for starting out any of these USB mics in the $120-160 range can do great things. I've been recording with a $20 mic and holding up with people that have dope ass condensor mics for over a year, so don't sweat it! Just one thing you have to make sure is that your room or whichever room you plan on recording in is fairly soundproof (if you actually shout for example, will you hear natural reverb? You can buy memory foam and hang it on the walls. Apparently egg cartons and thick blankets kind of work if you can't get foam but I've never tried any of that.) Definitely buy a pop filter too, though they are expensive and very easy to make from $5-10 worth of material. The hardest part would be making your own adjustable stand for it, which isn't hard if you can go out and get the materials. You can use anything circular as a base and stretch pantyhose over it, and there you got, the main part of the pop filter...That's what I've done and it works wonders. Hope to see you in the Audio Stage sometime soon dude.
Last edited by Solace on Jul 19th, '12, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » Jul 19th, '12, 22:46

lol yeah bro I honestly just wanted them because they look cool AF IMO lol, wow Solace, thanks for the advice man. I will probably go to best buy here pretty soon to see what I can find lol Im looking forward to recording thats for sure!
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Jul 19th, '12, 22:49

ShAdYTiLIDie wrote:lol yeah bro I honestly just wanted them because they look cool AF IMO lol, wow Solace, thanks for the advice man. I will probably go to best buy here pretty soon to see what I can find lol Im looking forward to recording thats for sure!

If you can get a mic and whatnot, we should definitely collab. :y:
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Solace » Jul 19th, '12, 22:51

No problem man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVqcEpg6_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQggmoR10o

Good videos covering making your own recording equipment. Vastly cheaper, seriously.

Nick419 wrote:Cool edit pro is a great program to start with as well

He is absolutely correct. You can find portable versions of the file floating around.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Nick419 » Jul 19th, '12, 23:21

Eedee wrote:
Nick419 wrote:I got an Audio technica at2020 USB Condenser mic for $150 at Guitar Center (you can actually find it cheaper online) worth every penny

I got this mic, it broke within 2 months, the carrying bag it came with was recalled for lead poisoning... it's just :laughing: how bad this mic is. The cord that plugs into it doesn't connect 90% of the time so you can't record at all, and when the blue light comes on the quality is pure shit.

I'm looking for a new mic as well, just type in "USB Condensor mic" on Amazon, you'll find better ones for $70 that are better than this piece of shit.

did you get a used one or something? :S because I've never had problems with mine and the sound quality is phenomenal. I did a ton of research on mics before i bought one and I have yet to find a bad review on this mic
Nick419
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Steve Spag » Jul 19th, '12, 23:29

Nick419 wrote:
Eedee wrote:

did you get a used one or something? :S because I've never had problems with mine and the sound quality is phenomenal. I did a ton of research on mics before i bought one and I have yet to find a bad review on this mic

I too have an AT2020 and it's amazing and have never once had an issue, yours is probably bad because it's a USB one. NEVER buy a USB microphone if you want to sound professional.
Former Rap God
Steve Spag
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » Jul 19th, '12, 23:38

Eedee wrote:
ShAdYTiLIDie wrote:lol yeah bro I honestly just wanted them because they look cool AF IMO lol, wow Solace, thanks for the advice man. I will probably go to best buy here pretty soon to see what I can find lol Im looking forward to recording thats for sure!

If you can get a mic and whatnot, we should definitely collab. :y:

Lol yeah bro that would be Dope!! I'm going to try to get on that ASAP I'll definitely hit you up when I'm able to record!

I looked at a mic at best buy called "Avid Vocal Studio" M-Audio producer USB it was $100 I'm about to google it, anyone have thoughts on that particular mic? It's hard to tel with the ones on craigslist tho being as Idk anything about them. Also Thanks for the links dude, much appreciated!
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Jul 19th, '12, 23:47

I bought mine new.

And I don't have a board or anything to plug one in at, so a USB is my best option, Steve.

And yeah. PM me when you get that mic, Shady.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » Jul 20th, '12, 00:28

Will do,

Also, How else can you get it on your computer without the USB?? my friend told me he uses a pre amp/ phantom power that plugs into the comp then gets a mic wire to plug into that but I honestly have no idea what that means haha I searched pre amp on craigslist and a lot of completely different items came up lol.

Also I was thinking about this one: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3087791341.html
and: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3081921180.html
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to C.W. Lounge