The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Punch Ins

Punch Ins

Postby HipHopHead » Jan 1st, '11, 22:04

How do you guys go about doing them?

I don't look down on people who do them, it makes music sound better. I look down on people who do them and make them stand out. I'm doing a flow packed with syllables for a collaboration and I just want to know how you guys would go about punching in. I've heard about ponging (cross fading between two different verses) and just cutting at a breath and placing the punch in.
..................................................You just copy, pasted, and read this sentence
....................................................1-0
HipHopHead
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Punch Ins

Postby mcZu » Jan 1st, '11, 22:12

If I do a punch-in --very rare-- I usually rap the verse 'till the part of the punch-in, stop the recording, start recording again from the middle or end of the recorded bit, rap along in the background and then do the punch-in. By doing that it usually sounds as if it's recorded in one breath. Of course the proper mixing is important, too.
"Truth is limitless in its range; if you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."
- Lupe Fiasco

Follow Me!

McZu's Blog!
mcZu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby HipHopHead » Jan 1st, '11, 22:17

mcZu wrote:If I do a punch-in --very rare-- I usually rap the verse 'till the part of the punch-in, stop the recording, start recording again from the middle or end of the recorded bit, rap along in the background and then do the punch-in. By doing that it usually sounds as if it's recorded in one breath. Of course the proper mixing is important, too.

I've never done a punch in before but that's pretty much how I planned on doing it.
..................................................You just copy, pasted, and read this sentence
HipHopHead
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby mcZu » Jan 1st, '11, 22:28

Yeah, I figured that's the way most people do it. From what I've seen from certain emcees recording on youtube at least, lol. I remember watching Royce and Crooked I laying their verses, and Royce used a punch-in at some point, and he did it that way.
"Truth is limitless in its range; if you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."
- Lupe Fiasco

Follow Me!

McZu's Blog!
mcZu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby HipHopHead » Jan 1st, '11, 22:35

Good to know. :b: I'm guessing it also helps if you have a professional mixer on the boards lol.
HipHopHead
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Jan 6th, '11, 18:11

if your punching in make sure you can spit the whole thing straight live aswell, or your just faking your flow.
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby HipHopHead » Jan 7th, '11, 04:46

,-,'-{Bar}-',-, wrote:if your punching in make sure you can spit the whole thing straight live aswell, or your just faking your flow.

People like this are stupid^ Yes I mean to offend
HipHopHead
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby _Ironic_ » Jan 7th, '11, 12:56

,-,'-{Bar}-',-, wrote:if your punching in make sure you can spit the whole thing straight live aswell, or your just faking your flow.

okay so every rap artist in the industry is faking their flow? every signed artist uses punch ins. including singers..are they faking their rhythm?

punch ins are simple my man.

record your verse using all your vocal strength into 3-4 sometimes 6-8 bars at a time. that way u have a layout and can end certain lines with emphasis without having to worry about taking a breath before the next line. thats HUGE. emphasis and enunciation.

now when it comes time to punch in after the 3-8 bars...u wanna start recording so u can hear at least half of the line you're punching in after.. some people rap the last few words to help them with flow in transition to the new recording..some people just start fresh as soon as the other verse ends..either way is effective. if you do say the last few words of the line before, make sure to turn down the vocals for those words on the new record or else it'd be obvious u punched in.

hope this helps, and check out my thread in the audio stage for an example of how I punch in. every time I switch delivery it's most likely a punch in. I do it ALOT. it's also why I always get such high remarks in terms of quality/mixing/flow.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=104787

example)
punched in at 1:14: I'm at the bar now, chillen like a coolata
Punched in at 1:16 Crisp One's
Punched in at 1:17 Feelin like a new Dolla
Punched in at 1:19 BAD BITCH
Punched in at 1:20 Feelin like the Goose Got her

like I said I punch in a lot, I can say it all live with ease, but when it comes to RECORDING the verse, you want the best quality possible, and that quality doesn't include breathe and voice strains from saying too much without having a full set of lungs behind it. thats just an example, if u listen close u can hear when I come on with a fresh breath, it's usually every 5-15 seconds. sometimes shorter.
http://www.soundclick.com/meanmuggerz
http://www.facebook.com/GTRONIC84

ImageImage
Adam Quinn wrote:I understand what you are doing and what you say in your rhymes. You gotta understand though that the people who come to this site don't listen to our type of music. I think your shit all around is better than anybody's on this site,.
_Ironic_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Scrubz » Jan 7th, '11, 14:49

_Ironic_ wrote:

okay so every rap artist in the industry is faking their flow? every signed artist uses punch ins. including singers..are they faking their rhythm?

punch ins are simple my man.

record your verse using all your vocal strength into 3-4 sometimes 6-8 bars at a time. that way u have a layout and can end certain lines with emphasis without having to worry about taking a breath before the next line. thats HUGE. emphasis and enunciation.

now when it comes time to punch in after the 3-8 bars...u wanna start recording so u can hear at least half of the line you're punching in after.. some people rap the last few words to help them with flow in transition to the new recording..some people just start fresh as soon as the other verse ends..either way is effective. if you do say the last few words of the line before, make sure to turn down the vocals for those words on the new record or else it'd be obvious u punched in.

hope this helps, and check out my thread in the audio stage for an example of how I punch in. every time I switch delivery it's most likely a punch in. I do it ALOT. it's also why I always get such high remarks in terms of quality/mixing/flow.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=104787

example)
punched in at 1:14: I'm at the bar now, chillen like a coolata
Punched in at 1:16 Crisp One's
Punched in at 1:17 Feelin like a new Dolla
Punched in at 1:19 BAD BITCH
Punched in at 1:20 Feelin like the Goose Got her

like I said I punch in a lot, I can say it all live with ease, but when it comes to RECORDING the verse, you want the best quality possible, and that quality doesn't include breathe and voice strains from saying too much without having a full set of lungs behind it. thats just an example, if u listen close u can hear when I come on with a fresh breath, it's usually every 5-15 seconds. sometimes shorter.

this pretty much sums it up :y: i punchin on all my songs just so its the best quality. I usually do 4 bars at a time unless theres a difficult part in between or something. Also you have to emphasize were you actually standing in the booth, how close to the mic you are and most importantly your tone. just set up a vocal track, then make a duplicate and just go back and forth. it takes practice but im sure every mc can do it.
Scrubz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tornado » Jan 7th, '11, 14:50

To me, i can't be bothered with punch-ins whilst recording. Ain't no defining rule for it. Sometimes, i use it for one line where i want it to be mixed differently to the verse. Think like Eminem's "I'm Back" where he does some lines of a verse where it's mixed differently like where he says "back it's the incredible".

It all depends on what you prefer
3K & Out
Tornado
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Jan 9th, '11, 16:27

lmao.

thank you all for getting so upset about something you all clearly didnt read.

if your punching in make sure you can spit the whole thing straight live aswell, or your just faking your flow.

:n: learn to read before ever commenting like a child towards me :y:
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby classthe_king » Jan 9th, '11, 21:33

I've tried to punch in and it sounds like shit so I've never used it in a song
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Scrubz » Jan 10th, '11, 10:40

,-,'-{Bar}-',-, wrote:lmao.

thank you all for getting so upset about something you all clearly didnt read.

:n: learn to read before ever commenting like a child towards me :y:

The fuck r u saying you all?? One person said something about that. Maybe you should re-read, captain butthurt. :shakehead:
Scrubz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DƎRDYPK » Jan 10th, '11, 12:58

never really tried much with punch ins
but some people make them sound so darn cool
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Return to A.S. Lounge