The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Mixing Choruses?

Mixing Choruses?

Postby classthe_king » Jul 21st, '11, 23:53

How do you guys give it that special "sound" to make it stand out from the verses? I'm a little lost myself.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Re: Mixing Choruses?

Postby B.A.D. » Jul 22nd, '11, 00:12

use a different reverb setting and one extra layover :y:
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby classthe_king » Jul 22nd, '11, 00:13

And when you say layover you mean...another set of vocals?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby B.A.D. » Jul 22nd, '11, 00:32

classthe_king wrote:And when you say layover you mean...another set of vocals?

yup... depends on the hook... but most of the times this is the case, watch out for the mixing and volume of it tho
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby Tash8 » Jul 22nd, '11, 00:54

There's no specific way, it all depends on how you want it to sound with the beat. You can record three different vocals and pan them (left, center, right). You can record one vocal and duplicate it and pan them. Add reverb, maybe chorus or flanger or other fx. I usually love adding a delay to my choruses that way they have no breaks or silences as well.
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Postby B.A.D. » Jul 22nd, '11, 05:34

Tash8 wrote:There's no specific way, it all depends on how you want it to sound with the beat. You can record three different vocals and pan them (left, center, right). You can record one vocal and duplicate it and pan them. Add reverb, maybe chorus or flanger or other fx. I usually love adding a delay to my choruses that way they have no breaks or silences as well.

yeah, but some vocals might get off beat if you dont do that correctly. also, its not really necessary to pan them, unless you want to create a stereo effect. but other than that... its a bit dumb to do it that way.

but yeah, like tash said, no specific way, depends on where the song brings you... what I also like to do is add an acoustic duet chorus effect on the low freq vocal and add flangers to the high ones..

but yeah, it all comes down to the song
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby Xray » Jul 23rd, '11, 01:16

Record 3 layers of vocals if your song requires a powerful voice, chants or just singing. Pan them if it suits the beat. It sounds more powerful if you don't. Don't duplicate vocals, that's just stupid and lazy. I usually mix my chorus just like my verses with less or no reverb. Punch-in to record, add delay at the end of the hook and maybe add some filter or EQ. But it all depends on the beat. If it's a mellow or laid back beat then a single layer is all you could need. If it's a much more up tempo or energetic beat then you're gonna need a set of powerful vocals so you'll obviously need a few layers. But mixing is the least of your worries, it has to be performed well for it to be decent. And don't add too much. It doesn't even matter if it stands out or not. If the overall song sounds right then that's all that matters. Sometimes you can't notice a hook because it blends in perfectly.
Over a billion Muslims, you could never stop Islam
Over a billion bullets shooting from the chopper's arm
Carry a motherfucker head that I shred in Nam
I speak literally, figuratively, the prophet gone

New Track: The Nightmare
Xray
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Tash8 » Jul 23rd, '11, 01:45

Big Ax-D wrote:yeah, but some vocals might get off beat if you dont do that correctly. also, its not really necessary to pan them, unless you want to create a stereo effect. but other than that... its a bit dumb to do it that way.

Why do you say it might go off beat? I don't agree that it's not necessary to pan them, if you want a wider chorus so it stands out from the verse, you could pan them. Why is it dumb?
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Postby Tornado » Jul 31st, '11, 16:18

Generally, you'd want to have 3 vocal layers for most choruses, a different EQ setup from the verses and mess with Reverb/Delay although it all depends on tracks. Some tracks will suit a chorus that is mixed similar to the verse, some would need additional stabs, some tracks which has a more congested production will need more effects to make it stand out, but best thing is to experiment as depending how your chorus is, you made need to change it, especially if you have different parts to it.
3K & Out
Tornado
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Jul 31st, '11, 17:16

I fucking hate choruses
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Scrubz » Aug 5th, '11, 21:32

You need atleast 3 layers minimum IMO to get it to stand out and sound powerful. Also changing the pitch of a layer really helps it stand out as well. "chorus" effect work really well in hooks, same with adding reverb and some well placed ad libs. It's all about messig around with it and see what sounds best for you. Also don't forget to pan the layers so u get a full sound.

I use to hate hooks too but it's all practice.
Scrubz
Soldier
Soldier

Return to A.S. Lounge