The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Make your mic sound $100 more expensive

Make your mic sound $100 more expensive

Postby TripleNineThree » Aug 3rd, '12, 08:15

Hey guys,
I recently received a message from ShadyTillIDie asking about Mixcraft and my recording process. Now, I know a lot of people hate on Mixcraft but I honestly don't see why. I have always used mixcraft and you can hear the quality of my mixing here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1izj3qf5 ... ature=plcp

Anyways, download the Mixcraft free trial, apply these setting to your vocals and I promise that your mind will be blown.

EDIT: Apparently there is now a Mixcraft 6 but these effects and settings should be the same. You can download the free trial here - http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Here are some generic settings you can throw on Mixcraft and it will sound like your mic is worth $100 more than it really is.

Acoustic Chorus
***Don't choose any settings instead make your own with the following settings
Delay = 37.56
Rate = 2
Intensity = 10
Wet Mix = 18
Dry Mix = 100

Acoustic EQ
***These settings are different depending on your voice. I would be happy to help out any artist here to get the right EQ that makes their voice sound more professional. Send me a file of your most recent song but make sure you send it in this format.
1. Send me the Acapella verse - ONLY THE VERSE, NO EFFECTS OR ECHOES OR ANYTHING JUST THE STRAIGHT VOCALS
2. Send me the beat so I can mix it in with the beat

Acoustic Reverb
***Set to the following settings
Reverberation = 4
High Freq. Damping = 23
Stereo Width = 100
Wet Mix = 7
Dry Mix = 100

Classic Compressor
***Put it on the setting "Vocal" it should already be there by default

Classic EQ
***Select this and just leave it on default

Classic Master Limiter
***This should be on Master CD (Should already be there by default)

Pultronic Tube EQ
***Set this to Classic Warm Tube

You'll be amazed at the quality difference in your vocals. :y:

If you decide to purchase Mixcraft, I believe it is around $80 and here are some good videos that will enable you to master the basics so you can experiment and actually know what you're doing. - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
TripleNineThree
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Make your mic sound $100 more expensive

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » Aug 4th, '12, 01:05

Thanks again for this man, I'm still in the proccess of watching that youtube channel and I'm sure this will help a lot of beginners out! I realized that I downloaded six but its pretty similar however I couldnt find where to change the Acoustic EQ and Chorus and stuff? lol I still havent watched all the vids so it prolly has it there somewhere. anyways, awesome thread it will help out a lot!
"Shady said it Shady meant it, I stay demented, Ill throw a stroller at you, with a baby in it"
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TripleNineThree » Aug 4th, '12, 04:22

There should just be a drop down box. Find one of the video that deals with effects and it should explain it! :y:
TripleNineThree
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Trimss » Aug 4th, '12, 12:57

ShAdYTiLIDie wrote:Thanks again for this man, I'm still in the proccess of watching that youtube channel and I'm sure this will help a lot of beginners out! I realized that I downloaded six but its pretty similar however I couldnt find where to change the Acoustic EQ and Chorus and stuff? lol I still havent watched all the vids so it prolly has it there somewhere. anyways, awesome thread it will help out a lot!

Mine is in french though but you get the point. :y:

Thanks a lot for this tutorial, I tried it and it works pretty well. :b:
Attachments
mixcraft.PNG
mixcraft.PNG (83.37 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
Ten toes down motherfucker I'm all in #Slumerican Team
TRShady is shutting down so you better move there:
www.HipHopShelter.com
Trimss
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby TripleNineThree » Aug 4th, '12, 17:49

No problem! And Trims did you send me your acapella? Do you mind resending it? I can't seem to find it. Send an email to tripleninethree@gmail.com
TripleNineThree
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Aug 12th, '12, 03:47

Hey Triple. I just ordered a new mic and all new equipment for my college dorm, so hopefully I'll have better quality vocals. I've been studying a lot on how to mix vocals, so on my next drop, hopefully you can check it out and give feedback on it. I really really hope the quality will be listenable. I've gone back to my recent stuff and it sounds like trash. I want to sound professional and tbh, your vocals are amazing. Sounds like a pro mixed 'em.

So basically I want to know how the vocals sound on my next drop (won't be soon. Still waiting on the mic to arrive).
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby mdemaz » Aug 12th, '12, 04:14

You should chose the settings you feel are good for the album you'll be recording on.
If you're gonna have epic beats, abuse compression and lightly limit the vocals.
If you're gonna have Dre-style stuff, use lightly limited vocals or unaltered vocals.

Whatever works for you.
Make sure you guys mix the vocals at a low volume.

I found that highly compressed vocals mixed at half the dynamic range still sounded good with a complex beat, while the unaltered or lightly limited vocals are almost engulfed by the complex beat.
Your voice needs to be an instrument basically.

It's trial and error really.

Good luck.
Last edited by mdemaz on Aug 13th, '12, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Eedee » Aug 12th, '12, 04:17

^ Mat, I'm going to talk to you often during the mixing process of my upcoming mixtape. :y:
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby TripleNineThree » Aug 13th, '12, 05:11

Eedee wrote:Hey Triple. I just ordered a new mic and all new equipment for my college dorm, so hopefully I'll have better quality vocals. I've been studying a lot on how to mix vocals, so on my next drop, hopefully you can check it out and give feedback on it. I really really hope the quality will be listenable. I've gone back to my recent stuff and it sounds like trash. I want to sound professional and tbh, your vocals are amazing. Sounds like a pro mixed 'em.

So basically I want to know how the vocals sound on my next drop (won't be soon. Still waiting on the mic to arrive).

That's awesome to hear man! I also appreciate the compliment on my mixing skills. :y:
What mic did you get? I'm looking forward to hearing your next track!
TripleNineThree
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Aug 13th, '12, 22:53

An MXL 990
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Return to A.S. Lounge