The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Albums - What the hell is the point?

Albums - What the hell is the point?

Postby Tash8 » Feb 7th, '10, 19:46

what the hell is the point of doing an album, tr artists?

Especially you new guys..Like I understand if you're TC or Ax-D where you've gotten to the level where it's not really about if ur flow is good or delivery is good but rather if you enjoy the song or not. But If you're new and ur still struggling with ur flow, still struggling with delivery.. what's the point of making an album with 12 wack tracks? when you could make one, release it, get feedback on it..use that feedback to make ur next track better.

I heard redzek is doing an album, and i'm just like thinking, are you serious? no son that's stupid. YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH YET! no one will care to listen to that album..
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Re: Albums - What the hell is the point?

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Feb 7th, '10, 19:48

feel the same way, alhtough i get that bein new and niave you do this..i did it.

but i must say i dont think you should release an album no matter the level you are as a mc unless you got it mixed proper, thats why all my album stuff is handled by mart coz then it sounds like an album.

mixtapes are another story do whatever you want with them, but dont label something as a album when its a glorified mixtape.
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby mcZu » Feb 7th, '10, 19:49

Couldn't agree more with you. Even for the likes of TC and Ax-D I think they should leave the album game for what it is and concentrate more on mixtapes. At least, if you want to create some kind of buzz.. Making an album costs too much time, you're better of using that energy and time to master your skills and putting your name on teh map.
"Truth is limitless in its range; if you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."
- Lupe Fiasco

Follow Me!

McZu's Blog!
mcZu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Tash8 » Feb 7th, '10, 19:58

word to both of u...i don't consider anything anyone puts here an Album....for it to be an album, you must have payed for ur beats and they have to be licensed...they're all mixtapes but some mixtapes like AX-D are more album-like than some other mixtapes.. but either way I think beginners STOP DOING MIXTAPES it's a waste. It's a waste for u, and it's a waste for the listener... I don't want o have to feed ur mixtape and be like...

track 1: flow is choppy, delivery needs more energry, lyrics are decent
track 2: again flow is choppy, delivery you sound bored, need to put more in it..lyrics i dig
track 3: flow is ok but again u slip, delivery is better but you gotta sound more confident

ya know that shit gets boring.
Tash8
Addict
Addict

Postby Tornado » Feb 7th, '10, 20:04

yeh i always thought it was strange yaknow, calling our releases albums. I's want an album to be properly Mastered and mixed, that'd give me a feeling of pro sounding stuff
3K & Out
Tornado
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Feb 7th, '10, 20:08

i agree with nothing here bein a true album, but i feel mine will be, its goin to be mixed and mastered, pressed and released for non profit promotional use, radio play, i already got shows to promote it, im working on a launch party and will be on radio for interviews when it comes around that have already been arranged.

so if thats not an album what is ?

i have generated a fan base that dont look at my stuff to judge but to listen to..so thats all a album really is for fans to listen to.
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Emadyville » Feb 7th, '10, 20:23

Yeah I agree with you Tash, I did the same thing back in the day, just made an album. I guess that it's kinda like, what else do you say? Ya know, like, yo I'm recording some songs for people to hear :unsure:

I guess it's just how the whole thing works, and it makes sense to put your shit together, even if I did 10 tracks randomly and someone wanted em I'd send them 10 songs on a cd, same thing as an album I guess. But in regards to new people who are still learning, that I completely agree with.

This is why I kinda do mixtapes, it just is simple to say I'm doing a mixtape, since it's random songs, then to have an "album".
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby Steve Spag » Feb 8th, '10, 20:11

In my opinion you have to be rapping at least 2 years before you can put out ANY album/mixtape/ep/lp.

Get your game right first, THEN start pushing your shit out there!
Former Rap God
Steve Spag
Role Model
Role Model

Postby B.A.D. » Feb 9th, '10, 00:41

I do consider "Midnight" a full 100% album.
- I took my time to do it, poured my heart on that bitch, everything musically was at my best.
- I own absolutely every beat on that album except 1. so out of 18 tracks, 17 are completely owned by me. and well Tash depends on how he views the beat he supplied me.
- I did live shows for it, but not to promote it, cuz due to some of its content I couldnt afford to leak it in a big way locally.
- All the tracks were semi-professional mixed

so the only diference between my album and mainstream album is. Im not famous, and they are :y:
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby Kez » Feb 9th, '10, 18:30

I can see the valid points from both sides. Personally i don't use the term album strictly, cause in most cases they're not lol, it's just a word people use for describing projects, but in some cases i think having an "album" to build your music around gives you a concept to stick to as opposed to just making the same kind of shit over and over. I can also agree with Tash about the fact that few people will bother to feed track after track. I mean i personally do out of courtesy but i'm aware that the feed you give can get very repetitive.

I've made my new project an "album" theoretically, but i've got conceptual reasons for doing so, and my next project will definately be something different.
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Mr. Chambers » Feb 9th, '10, 19:59

none of my shit has never been an album.....
my new one has an "album" feel but it ain't an album

imo...your album is your very best.....and i don't feel i'm at my very best in every aspect....my producing game isn't top notch...my hook game needs work......matterfact i'll do yall a huge favor and post up my verse first mixtape i ever did and my last mixtape so yall can see the difference...

and sadly...i think only 3 ppl on here are at that level..i'm not gonna name them just to spare feelings.....everyone else has no reason too..mixtapes sure...but albums..no......but i'ma stop now....

in summary..i agree...

so much WIN!
Mr. Chambers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby °[~CHR!$~]° » Feb 9th, '10, 20:05

what chambers said about the very best needs to be on the album
plus i always thought an album needs own aka exclusive beats and shit...
so since i never owned the beats for my tracks i only put them together as a compilation which was is called mixtape in the most cases...so yeah..when i do an album i also wanna learn to produce it for the most by myself...
^propz to angie :flower:
ANGIE'S GROUPIE NUMBA 4 :smoking:

!!!!!!!!------ C-Riz's Myspace ------!!!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

!!!!!!---C-Riz's Youtube Channel---!!!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
embm will live in london 1 day
°[~CHR!$~]°
Addict
Addict

Postby Xray » Feb 9th, '10, 20:41

Nah I think its natural for someone inspired in rap to make a tape or an album when they first start. Obviously it's gonna suck if you just started, but its still good practice. I say let them make albums and tapes and learn from their mistakes and grow up as artists from that. You gotta practice what a perfect album is, and to do that you gotta make albums.

DOES NOT matter if the album is shit or good, what matters is you worked hard for it to be what it is and you can learn from it and than go on and make a better album. See that's how it works, but when the word "cool" gets thrown into the mix that's when I don't agree anymore. You should really want to learn the craft of making an album if you make an album, not because its cool, that's stupid and childish. But like I said its all about experience, you have to have experience to know what you're doing in the FUTURE.
Over a billion Muslims, you could never stop Islam
Over a billion bullets shooting from the chopper's arm
Carry a motherfucker head that I shred in Nam
I speak literally, figuratively, the prophet gone

New Track: The Nightmare
Xray
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Return to A.S. Lounge