The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

The Importance of Warming Up...

The Importance of Warming Up...

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 23rd, '10, 22:52

I just thought I'd post this, because it's an issue that many artists here overlook.

Warming up the vocal cords.

Perhaps you've heard it on your own songs, I know I've heard it on mine: the second verse sounds more full and controlled than the first. Perhaps the third verse sounds hotter than the second. This is because, as many singers learn early on, your vocals are not going to sound their best until they warm up. Your control over your vocal tones increases after a few verses.

So, what I would recommend is that artists be sure to run through some practice sessions on each song at least once, perhaps twice, before actually recording. You'll benefit from vocal consistency, and your song will improve sound-wise as a result.

Any thoughts/comments?
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: The Importance of Warming Up...

Postby °[~CHR!$~]° » Feb 23rd, '10, 23:26

i so agree....i did that mistake at the beginning myself..
but recognized that with the time...so actually i am practising my verses like 2-3times before recording (and anywhere else also not to warm up my vocal chords)...and due recording i prolly fuck up 2-3times, by then i warmed up enough until i do the final take..
plus another advantage of a test run / practise session is that, at least in my case, when i hear my verses i can memorize them better than reading them over and over again..
example: i can remember readin off the paper in the early stages....then while mixing and shit i heard the verse so many times i had it memorized but thats a off topic...
basiclly i agree with you and you already said everything :y:
^propz to angie :flower:
ANGIE'S GROUPIE NUMBA 4 :smoking:

!!!!!!!!------ C-Riz's Myspace ------!!!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

!!!!!!---C-Riz's Youtube Channel---!!!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
embm will live in london 1 day
°[~CHR!$~]°
Addict
Addict

Postby Mr. Chambers » Feb 24th, '10, 22:36

i never even considered this till you brought it up...so props on that broski!

so much WIN!
Mr. Chambers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kez » Feb 24th, '10, 23:48

I always do practice runs first, sometimes i've ended up re-recording the first and maybe even the second verse after the third verse on a song was on a higher level thanks to the warmup.
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Tornado » Mar 6th, '10, 15:57

TBH i usualy learn my lyrics by heart first and then have one practice run, not recording it then I go off
3K & Out
Tornado
Role Model
Role Model

Postby B.A.D. » Mar 7th, '10, 05:47

I always do practices to find out the tone and the little creative things I want for the song, and mostly to focus on where I should emphazise on pronunciation hahaha

but I didnt knew about this, so thanks a lot for the information :worship:
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Return to A.S. Lounge