The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

So, I'm Finally Buying a Sampler...

So, I'm Finally Buying a Sampler...

Postby AbramIsaac » Nov 10th, '11, 02:10

And I'm seriously fucking stoked!

I'm going pretty old school. I almost had an MPC2000, (for 150 bucks! Fuck!) but missed it by a few hours. I then started thinking about what I wanted from a sampler, what I had looked at in the past, and what I had been waiting for to pop up.

The Korg Electribe ES1 is the sampler that I had been eying for a long time. It's not anything like an MPC, but the only reason I was going to get one of those was because of the ridiculously low price on that 2000. Since that was out of the picture now, I started looking for Electribes.

I found one for $130. Used, of course, these are older machines after all.

Buying it right now...

Do any of you fine Producer's Lounge members have hardware samplers? I'm not asking with the intent to say "Na-nana-na-na-na! I've got really old shit that samples at a low rate!", but rather to see how many people actually still use hardware now that software is so prevalent.

I could see B.A.D. having an MPC, or something of that caliber, but I would be surprised if very many members here do. It's an expensive piece of equipment for something that most people here consider to be a hobby.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: So, I'm Finally Buying a Sampler...

Postby DƎRDYPK » Nov 10th, '11, 02:15

nicccce
wish I had some equipment to better my production
maybe in the future, a keyboard with a lil drumkit on it or some shit :sweating:
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby AbramIsaac » Nov 10th, '11, 02:28

As far as samplers go, this is one of the best you can get for the price on the used market. I'd recommend it for sure, just based on the videos I've seen up to this point of what people can do on them.

But if you're trying to cut on costs, MIDI controllers are a great option. You can get a used MPD16 for like 50 bucks. That will hook right up to your computer, and with FL you can have what's basically an MPC feel and style of production...not bad considering the price.

As far as keyboards go, you can pick up a keyboard controller for very cheap as well. I'd recommend both of those things, as it really does change how you make music. Gets the mouse out of the way, and lets you be creative without all the bullshit.

That's my motivation with this thing, but I want something standalone. Eventually, I'd like to have a full project studio that's completely comprised of standalone hardware like this. I can do cool shit on the computer, but it's not alway conducive to creativity.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby DƎRDYPK » Nov 10th, '11, 02:32

I hear that
and the MPD16 looks gorgeous :o
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby AbramIsaac » Nov 10th, '11, 02:49

Yeah man, you can't go wrong for the price.

The used ones on GuitarCenter.com's used gear section are spread across a few different varieties. I saw the silver, the blue, and then some more that were boxier and thinner. I believe they use actual MPC pads as well, so you know you're getting something that will hold up fairly well to abuse.

Some of the Oxygen keyboard controllers are good. They don't usually cost too much, for the entry level ones. Or, you could buy a cheap ass keyboard from a yard sale or Salvation Army (or pawn shop, thrift store, etc) for around 20 bucks. Just make sure it has a MIDI port on it, and it'll work as a hardware controller for your software synths.

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Return to Producer's Lounge