The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Mic Suggestion

Mic Suggestion

Postby crosby87 » Jun 28th, '12, 17:06

Not sure if this is right place but..

Just starting to get into writing lyrics and feel I'll be more dedicated if I have a solid mic to record on. Anyone want to suggest a solid mic? Did a little research and would it be best to get a mic that has a USB output? If not, I'd most likely need a pre-amp. Also gonna get a pop filter (any brand better than the others or are they all about the same?), shockmount, and most likely a mic stand.

Any/all help will be appreciated!
Sorry for so many questions
crosby87
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Re: Mic Suggestion

Postby B.A.D. » Jun 28th, '12, 17:10

I'll move it to the right section for you mate!

and to answer your question, well, it depends on how pro you want to go, bcuz if you have a studio or room-studio, even if its semi-pro then I would recomend the pre-amp and maybe an NT2-A condenser or something like that, but make sure you can submit phantom power to that mic. otherwise, just get a M-Audio Producer USB mic, its quite good.
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby mdemaz » Jun 28th, '12, 17:24

Get a NT1-A microphone if you are just doing studio recording, they are relatively cheaper now.
Experiment a little bit though, ask questions and talk to people in music shops, they can really help you out, but don't get them conning you into buying stuff you don't really need.

If you really don't give a shit about quality, just get a random desktop microphone.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby B.A.D. » Jun 29th, '12, 10:22

mdemaz wrote:Get a NT1-A microphone if you are just doing studio recording,

you rekon NT1 > NT2 ?
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby mdemaz » Jun 29th, '12, 15:18

B.A.D. wrote:
mdemaz wrote:Get a NT1-A microphone if you are just doing studio recording,

you rekon NT1 > NT2 ?

It's hard to pick, the 2 has slightly better quality, plus you can swap the polar patterns around...

To get the best quality vocals in your home studio, you need to be in a soundproof room in your house, you can put acoustic foam behind and around the microphone, that helps a lot, or just get a reflection filter and place it behind the microphone.

It worked for me while I was recording Mind.

Bedrooms that aren't modified with acoustic panels just don't work, even if you get your room modified so there's barely any reverberation, there is still bad reverberation when you amplify the vocals, you really need a soundproof booth to get the best quality, but sadly, not a lot of people have access to a professional recording studio they can walk into anytime they want.

There's a lot of USB condenser microphones, Google them, you're bound to find a cheap one.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Return to Producer's Lounge