The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Microphone Levels tips

Microphone Levels tips

Postby Nick419 » Jul 9th, '12, 00:25

Not sure if this is the right section but I just purchased a Audio Technica AT2020 USB Microphone to start rapping with. I have Cool Edit Pro 2.1 for mixing and my question today is about setting proper microphone levels since I am new to using USB mics (I know at the end of the day i should just figure it out by experimenting but I'd prefer to get tips from people with experience). I know how to use Adobe Audition/Cool edit fairly well since i went to school for radio broadcasting but i never had issues with mic levels cuz we had audio boards to adjust these types of issues (plus mixing broadcasting vocals and rap vocals are two very different things). Anyways whats the general number i should set my mic levels at in the windows 7 recording devices settings? I know it depends on your voice but for me to even record without any peaking/distortion i have to set the level to around 7-10 but i feel like its taking away a lot of the vocal quality....or should i just record at that level and bring the volume and amplitude up in cool edit?

Also is there a way i can hear my vocals in my headphones while recording in cool edit using a USB mic? From what I've read I'd have to buy a fancy sound card but if thats the case I'll just live with not hearing myself....I appreciate any advice
RIP Big proof~Broken hearted, my soul's like a open target
And I'm ready to leave Earth
You step to my death next year on my T-shirt
Nick419
Role Model
Role Model

Re: Microphone Levels tips

Postby Spyder » Jul 9th, '12, 01:23

ya man u just gotta mess around

most high quality mics will have an indicator when your mic "clips"
so turn your volume and mixer up until it doesnt clip at your normal rapping volume and distance from the mic

itll change based on those factors, if your consistent then u wont have to fuck with the buttons after the first setup
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Re: Microphone Levels tips

Postby Solace » Jul 9th, '12, 03:23

I'm getting that mic next weekend, do post about its performance.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Return to Producer's Lounge