The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

I'm getting a new mic - need some advice

I'm getting a new mic - need some advice

Postby Ticalrecords » Dec 9th, '12, 23:24

so i'm getting a new mic for christmas, one thing: you cannot use a USB mic on pro Tools, which is what i have, so if i were to get the Yeti (since it seems to be the best, and i've used it before at my friends house and it has great vocal quality) i would have to use GarageBand. my question is do you think it is worth getting the Yeti, which is better mic, and using garageband, which is a downgrade from Pro Tools (i'm guessing, since it came free on my macbook loll)?

secondly, i plan on getting the either the Yeti Blue or the Yeti Pro. the Blue one costs about 100 while the Pro costs about 300 so its a huge difference price wise. obviously there is noticeable difference between the two quality wise, i'm just wondering HOW MUCH.
I realize that if I want to take music seriously, I will have to invest my time AND money (lol) to get results. but you don't just go and buy a Newman the second day you start laying tracks, right? admittedly, I am a cheapskate, and am trying to get away with as much bullshit as i can, i realize there has to be a tipping point on the correlation of price and quality, i'm just not sure where that lies lol.

below is a comparison of the two

http://bluemic.com/yeti/#/compare/

i have no idea what an XLR is, and haven't the faintest clue of how the difference in bit rate comes into play. from what i gather, i guess my question is, is the extra $200 worth the 150 extra bit rate? loll

if neither of these options are suitable, becuase it would be better to stick with Pro Tools, could you recommend a microphone under 300 that would get the job done?

i found a few that i am considering,

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-STU-B3V2

http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm

if anyone has personal experience with these mics - please share your thoughts on them. as far as i can tell, the only bad thing about the Yeti is that you can't change the sample rate - not that i'd be fucking with that anyways, but i want this to be an investment to last a couple years so if i find out i should in the future i'd be fucked.

but yea this is all prolly coming off real ignant, please bear with me and help a homie out

thanks in advance to whoever responds :happy:
Ticalrecords
Soldier
Soldier

Re: I'm getting a new mic - need some advice

Postby Eedee » Dec 25th, '12, 11:28

MXL 990

That's the mic I use, it's quite nice. You might need to buy a cheap soundboard or something with some EQ knobs because this needs phantom power, also will need an XLR cable (female/male ends, should come with them though anyway if you buy an XLR cable) to plug into the mic and soundboard, which then plugs into your computer.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Re: I'm getting a new mic - need some advice

Postby Ticalrecords » Dec 25th, '12, 16:37

nice. thanks bruh, i'll def check it out. actually alot of crap happened between then and now, and that mic will be put on the back burner for a minute loll
Ticalrecords
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Producer's Lounge