The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

2011 Grammys: Eminem Wins 2 Awards

Check here for the latest Eminem/Shady Records related news. Also, downloadable media along with important news on the Shady sites.

2011 Grammys: Eminem Wins 2 Awards

Postby AJS2050 » Feb 14th, '11, 14:16

Eminem once again shut out of top Grammys
14th February 2010

Eminem lost his third try for Grammy's album of the year, despite generating 2010's biggest sales with his critically acclaimed Recovery (3.5 million copies). The often-controversial rapper was considered the favorite going into the night and received the most nominations (10). He wound up winning rap album for the fifth time and rap solo for Not Afraid.

Eminem won best rap album and best rap solo performance at Sunday's Grammys, but missed out on album of the year.

"I think Eminem is pretty happy with how everything else went in 2010, but it's pretty shocking that he didn't win," says James Montgomery, MTV News senior writer. "The Grammys are notoriously weird in selecting winners. But Eminem will ultimately be OK."

"His loss doesn't take away from the success he's had with Recovery," says Devin Lazerine, editor in chief of Rap-Up.com. "The 10 nominations alone is a major victory after his personal and professional bumps in the road."

The trophies that the Detroit rapper did win Sunday bring his career total to 13. Still, the most prestigious awards keep slipping away. He was up for album of the year in 2001 with The Marshall Mathers LP, but lost to Steely Dan's Two Against Nature, and again in 2003 when The Eminem Show lost to Norah Jones' Come Away with Me.

His Without Me also lost that year to Jones' Don't Know Why for record of the year. In 2004, his Lose Yourself lost song of the year to Luther Vandross'Dance With My Father and record to Coldplay's Clocks.

Eminem continued a recent trend among artists with the night's most nominations. Since 2005, Beyoncé— who last year won six out of a possible 10 trophies, including song of the year — is the only top nominee to win more than half the awards for which he or she was competing. John Legend, who won three of eight in 2006, including best new artist, is the only other one to win a major category.

The experts say Eminem's defeat doesn't necessarily reflect a best-album bias against hip-hop, despite losses in recent years by Kanye West and Lil Wayne: Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill won in 1999 and Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below won in 2004. Both say strong cases could be made for this year's other album nominees.

"At this point, saying that (the Grammys aren't) recognizing hip-hop, both as an art form and as a commercial force, is a ship that has sort of passed," Montgomery says.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/awar ... sp=usat.me
AJS2050
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: 2011 Grammys: Eminem Wins 2 Awards

Postby Emadyville » Feb 14th, '11, 15:53

So 2 and not 3, damn even worse :facepalm:

Grammys are bogus :n:
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby The Shady Virus » Feb 14th, '11, 16:07

So stupid. I have never even heard of arcade fire and they won album of the year? With the nominees i would have chose them as least likely.
The Shady Virus
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Slimm » Feb 14th, '11, 16:40

The Shady Virus wrote:So stupid. I have never even heard of arcade fire and they won album of the year? With the nominees i would have chose them as least likely.

Arcade Fire's ' The Suburbs' >>> Recovery

I do think it's a shame Eminem never won the album of the year, but this time it's no competition really.
w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l ic
Slimm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Sam. » Feb 14th, '11, 17:25

At least 5 would have been acceptable though, but 2 :shakehead:
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby BigBangBazinga » Feb 14th, '11, 18:08

Slimm wrote:
The Shady Virus wrote:So stupid. I have never even heard of arcade fire and they won album of the year? With the nominees i would have chose them as least likely.

I do think it's a shame Eminem never won the album of the year, but this time it's no competition really.

No competition?! Get the fuck outta here...
I'ma be BALLIN UNCONTROLLABLY

Have you guys ever rapped along with Almost Famous? You cant deny, its fun LOL. - Miller1121

we stans listen to Eminem like 12 hrs or when ever our eyes are open. :coffee:
. - MCSam
BigBangBazinga
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Rash J » Feb 14th, '11, 18:13

Ugh.
Lost the big one to a group who didn't even win best album in their category :facepalm
Good job Grammys.
Rash J
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Slimm » Feb 14th, '11, 18:26

Shadyfreak wrote:
Slimm wrote:

No competition?! Get the fuck outta here...

The Suburbs is overall a way better album than Recovery is in terms of quality. While I respect Eminem's comeback, I just can't help but feel that it was a let down. Arcade Fire keeps reinventing themselves every album.

This is all opinion of course, and I don't expect you to share it.
w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l i c e a n d f r i e n d l y f i r e w o r l d p o l ic
Slimm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby IrishShady » Feb 14th, '11, 21:15

Ugh... :'(

Who got Album Of The Year?
IrishShady
Soldier
Soldier

Postby kindafeelslikedejavu » Feb 14th, '11, 21:54

I do think it's a shame Eminem never won the album of the year, but this time it's no competition really.[/quote]

No competition?! Get the fuck outta here...[/quote]

The Suburbs is overall a way better album than Recovery is in terms of quality. While I respect Eminem's comeback, I just can't help but feel that it was a let down. Arcade Fire keeps reinventing themselves every album.

This is all opinion of course, and I don't expect you to share it.[/quote]

No competition? Please. And stop coming in here saying that people of this forum are being ignorant saying that Em got robbed, cause the truth is that he did get robbed. I saw you posted somewhere "stop being so ignorant about something you know nothing about," or something to that effect. The fact that at least 80 percent (being generous) of my generation (18-30) "know nothing" about that genre of music, and have either never heard of arcade fire or don't like their music makes it pretty disgraceful that they gave them album of the year over Recovery. Eminem comes back after 4-5 years (i dont consider relapse a great comeback into the "mainstream world" , although it's a great album imo) and now it's like he was never gone. Arcade Fire have been around since 2004 but until they won album of the year it's like they were never even here (to most people). Complete bullshit if you ask me. How can you not say the grammys are biased against rap? Eminem is arguably one of the best musicians of the past decade and still hasn't won a grammy outside of the rap genre. Your crazy for thinking Arcade whoever deserved this. Album of the year overall but not album of the year in their own genre? That just puts it over the top.

Just a little comparison: (all US #'s)
Recovery (Left) Suburbs (Right)
First week sales: 741,000 156,000
Total sales: 3,536,000 couldn't find it, obviously nothin good
Billboard Peak: 1(remained there even through 1(took awhile and didnt last long)
the Suburbs release date)
Billboard Year End Pos: 2 80(even tho it came out in Aug)

PS. I do respect your opinion. But the album of the year grammy should not be given out based on personal opinion. Nor do i think Recovery should have gotten it based on my personal opinion. It should be awarded based on the opinion of the general public, and i think the numbers speak for themselves. I could argue more but i dont have time to keep on rambling..
My songs can make you cry, take you by surprise
And at the same time, make you dry your eyes with the same rhyme
See what you're seeing is a genius at work
Which to me isn't work, so it's easy to misinterpret it at first,
Cuz when i speak, it's tongue in cheek
I'd yank my fuckin teeth before id ever bite my tongue
I'd slice my gums, get struck by fuckin' lightning twice at once
kindafeelslikedejavu
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Elision » Feb 15th, '11, 00:54

But Eminem will ultimately be OK.
i'm comin in, drivin my short bus
with this nose i don't need a torch up
bustin through, light the industry's porsche up
comin after who didn't support us...
imma change your brain bring
every wicked bit of strange to mainstream
-Tech N9ne #SpecialEffects2015
Elision
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby mdemaz » Feb 15th, '11, 00:56

I'm glad that he won anything...
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Emadyville » Feb 15th, '11, 02:36

menime wrote:Ugh.
Lost the big one to a group who didn't even win best album in their category :facepalm
Good job Grammys.

That ^ is the sole reason I'm pissed, no matter if it was recovery or a year no em album was nominated, I don't understand how that ever happens and to me shows somethings wrong in their decision making process :n:
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby Manly Moose » Feb 15th, '11, 05:15

Slimm wrote:

Thats your opinion and I respect it, but you have to admit the members like rock more than hip-hop. Lose Yourself lost to a Coldplay song.
Manly Moose
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ShaunaSlevin » Mar 14th, '11, 16:45

LEAVE EMINEM ALONE!! :angry:
ShaunaSlevin
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Next

Return to Eminem News and Site Updates