The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Steve Spag - "Tastes Like Success"

Re: Steve Spag - "Tastes Like Success"

Postby classthe_king » Jul 5th, '11, 20:11

Downloaded
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby mdemaz » Jul 5th, '11, 20:34

Downloading now.
:)
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby VenomBlackViper » Jul 5th, '11, 23:57

Downloading, will listen to/feed tonight or tomorrow.
VenomBlackViper
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Kez » Jul 6th, '11, 00:50

^ What he said
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Kez » Jul 8th, '11, 16:06

Right sorry it's a bit late, here we go, typed while listening. I wrote all this out with no edits as I was listening, so it's my immediate thoughts.

Hostile Environment
The beat is very strange for where it is, not really the kind of thing you would open a tape up with imo lol. Especially not considering it's you, I wasn't expecting it. I honestly don't really see what you're saying lol, it's decent but it seems more like something that would be in the middle of the tape, not at the very start. Doesn't really open the tape up very well.

Odd 1 Out
Didn't like the hook. The beat sounds very basic lol. Honestly I barely see what you talking about here either, I dunno if there's some kind of metaphor to it that i'm missing lol but to me, it just seems like a random song about a girl.

Drifting @ Sea
Let me just say, I think I know where you got this beat, and now find myself rather confused. This is far too short which suggests to me that you didn't really know what to say on it. The chorus slightly taps into what the voice sample was saying, but a lot of it is still more of the same. I liked the chorus, that was the kind of thing the whole verse shoulda been.

Lazy Symphony
Sweet beat. You got a good flow on this one. I don't really get why it's called Lazy Symphony though cause what's lazy about this love shit you're talking about? I was expecting a weed song lol. The concept is a bit repetitive though, already did it on Odd 1 Out. Your lyrics kinda confuse me a bit sometimes too, sometimes it's like you're talkin about a girl, and others it switches back out of nowhere to talkin about music. Liked how you messed with the hook a bit near the end.

Microscopic
Not really a big fan of the beat. You can't really sing lol, so the hook didn't work honestly. This song is again more of the same. More love stuff, more rap about who you are and how you aint goin anywhere. Also where did the goodbye shit at the end come from? From the verses I didn't really feel any particular conflict.

Your Exit
Nice sample for a beat. Hopefully this will be somethin different. More singing, i'm sorry you can't really sing haha. You barely holding notes. I liked how you played with the beat a bit with the flow. And I see that the song is more of the same too. At least it (however faintly) plays off the apparent end of Microscopic, I spose that's somethin. The blah blah was pretty random too.

Wasting My Time
Already commented on this.

Tastes Like Success Freestyle
Haha, I remember this beat. Damn you saved this for a long ass time. There aint much to say, it's quite obviously a freestyle, at least I give you credit for doing an actual off the top freestyle unlike most people. You can tell it is, but yeah haha. Can't really criticise it based on that.

Mistake
Nice beat. This shit again? Haha, I aint hating it's just i'm honestly feeling kinda bored. There aint really much I can say about this that I haven't said about some of the other songs. The hook was alright.

Making It Right
The hook at least sounds like something different. This is more like the kinda thing I was expecting throughout the whole thing to be honest. This fits. I liked this track. That voice sample seems so random though, comes out of nowhere and isn't alluded to again once throughout the entire track. It's funny that a track which I would normally say is very repetitive (lyrics about how good you are compared to others) is refreshing on here compared to the last bunch of songs.

Fly So High
Loving the beat. That's good shit. The hook was iffy, you guys honestly you can't sing very well lol but considering it's a weed song it kinda fits I suppose (and you reference it at the end). Spratt had a good verse, honestly. I echo my thoughts on the last song about this being repetitive but refreshing. Enjoyed these last two tracks a lot more honestly.

Overall:
I dunno if this is just because you did this as a side project while you put all your effort into the Get Lighter EP, but this was pretty random. Aside from the last two, I don't really see one song that matches the theme of "Tastes like Success"; pretty much every song except a few is about love, you coulda called it something related to that. Your lyrics and flows are always on point, which is why I didn't comment on them for every single song, it's just the stuff you're saying that turned me off. It got kinda boring. Honestly the organisation of this EP was rather jumbled I thought, it opens with a random dark track, then goes into like non-stop love songs until the last two tracks haha. The last two tracks were easily my favourites.
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Steve Spag » Jul 8th, '11, 16:50

I really suggest you give it a thorough listen before being so critical, lol. Yeah I know the singing was bad, which is why we joked about it at the end of the CD, yes it was just an experimental project which was clear, but just because you don't relate to the lyrics doesn't mean it was bad. I have to disagree with you on the organization of it 'cause I, along with most others, think that it's pretty fluid and the love tracks are spread out, not bunched up together like you said. Yeah I thought about having the title being related to love but it was a negative side of love which I was expressing and that isn't what I'm about, Tastes Like Success fits much better with the OVERALL theme. Oh, and the reason Drifting @ Sea is short is not because I couldn't think of anything to say (obviously), if you remember the beat it starts doing weird things towards the end which is why I decided to keep it short. When you say things were "random" it may seem that way to you but there's all meaning to everything, with a little thought you might figure it out, but it'd require more than 1 listen, everything in there relates to something one way or another, I'd know 'cause I put them there, lol. If you follow it in sequential order it tells a story.

But thanks for the feed man.
:y:
Former Rap God
Steve Spag
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Kez » Jul 9th, '11, 01:11

Steve Spag wrote:I really suggest you give it a thorough listen before being so critical, lol. Yeah I know the singing was bad, which is why we joked about it at the end of the CD, yes it was just an experimental project which was clear, but just because you don't relate to the lyrics doesn't mean it was bad. I have to disagree with you on the organization of it 'cause I, along with most others, think that it's pretty fluid and the love tracks are spread out, not bunched up together like you said. Yeah I thought about having the title being related to love but it was a negative side of love which I was expressing and that isn't what I'm about, Tastes Like Success fits much better with the OVERALL theme. Oh, and the reason Drifting @ Sea is short is not because I couldn't think of anything to say (obviously), if you remember the beat it starts doing weird things towards the end which is why I decided to keep it short. When you say things were "random" it may seem that way to you but there's all meaning to everything, with a little thought you might figure it out, but it'd require more than 1 listen, everything in there relates to something one way or another, I'd know 'cause I put them there, lol. If you follow it in sequential order it tells a story.

But thanks for the feed man.

As I said, it was all just my first thoughts on a listen-through. I wouldn't take the critical thing as bad lol, I just like to review stuff that way as opposed to doing nothing but praising as i'm sure you agree. I mean it's not like I didn't enjoy listening to it, the lyrics were great etc etc. I'm just saying my first thoughts lol. Yeah it seems to be becoming known on these forums that I don't relate to anything love-based lmao, but that is very true. To be fair to myself, I wrote this just before work, so I may have missed a few things out. I never meant to suggest there was no meaning to anything in it lol, I know you wouldn't rap random bullshit. It's just my personal preference and shit. And yeah I feel you on the more than one listen thing, I think any good artist puts stuff like that in. I will of course be listening to it more, this is just my immediate review. As I said, i'm not saying I didn't like it :p It was overall pretty good. Though just for me personally the last two tracks are still my favourites, I loved those. If it bothers you, I may PM you more of my thoughts after more listens, but I can't 100% promise that, very busy and shit haha. But yeah.
Kez
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Steve Spag » Jul 17th, '11, 16:00

Word man!
Former Rap God
Steve Spag
Role Model
Role Model