The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Eminem Featured in Documentary "How to Make $ Selling Drugs"

Check here for the latest Eminem/Shady Records related news. Also, downloadable media along with important news on the Shady sites.

Re: Eminem Featured in Documentary "How to Make $ Selling Dr

Postby Jens14 » Aug 8th, '12, 10:51

Video doesn't work anymore :(
Jens14
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Amaranthine » Aug 8th, '12, 18:27

Jens14 wrote:Video doesn't work anymore :(

Really? Well, it's all over Youtube by now, so try there. :)
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Sam. » Aug 8th, '12, 22:19

Fuck this shit. I'm waiting for his Home and Home DVD.
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Atone » Aug 10th, '12, 11:18

Sam. wrote:Fuck this shit. I'm waiting for his Home and Home DVD.

We'll never get that
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby rapaddict92 » Aug 13th, '12, 00:02

i wanna see this! 50's in it to if y'all didn't know. (perfect doc. for fif to be in)
rapaddict92
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Amaranthine » Aug 24th, '12, 17:53

Programmer's note on the film is out, as well as the showing schedule for anyone near Toronto:

Stylishly shot and cheekily framed as a subversive educational film, How to Make Money Selling Drugs takes a satirical look at a serious subject. Blending authentic reportage with pop culture references and a video game — like progression from level to level, the film illustrates step-by-step how to create a drug empire, from dealing on the corner to running a major cartel. Slyly, director Matthew Cooke builds a powerful case that drug policy needs rethinking, as current laws foster a violent criminal underworld reminiscent of the Prohibition era.

Recalling the hit Cocaine Cowboys, How to Make Money Selling Drugs offers expert testimony from a number of real-life outlaws, including Mike Walzman, who became the go-to dealer in Beverly Hills private schools, and "Freeway" Rick Ross, who recalls his invention of crack cocaine as if it were a fast-food innovation. We also hear from such familiar faces as Adrian Grenier, who was raised by a pot-dealing single mother; rapper Curtis Jackson, a.k.a. 50 Cent, who started dealing at age twelve; Susan Sarandon, who attests to the benefits of some illicit substances; Eminem, who talks about his struggles with legal prescription drugs; and Russell Simmons, who has dedicated himself to overturning punitive drug laws. Their testimony reflects the way in which drugs permeate all levels of society — and how, when it comes to drug law enforcement, punishment is disproportionately doled out to those who are dark-skinned and poor.

Watching this film against the backdrop of the current U.S. presidential campaign is a reminder of how rigid the discourse around drugs continues to be, and how the demonization of drug use by politicians only further commits society to an unwinnable "war." For meaningful change to ever occur, people need to put down their bong pipes and get organized. Beneath its snarky sheen, this film is a passionate incitement for action.

Schedule:

Friday September 7
Scotiabank 1
9:30 PM

Sunday September 9
Cineplex Yonge & Dundas 7
9:30 AM

Sunday September 16
Scotiabank 1
9:30 PM
You should read this.

Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Amaranthine » Sep 13th, '12, 16:58

Distribution plan:

Tribeca Film has acquired domestic distribution rights to “How to Make Money Selling Drugs,” a new documentary about the war on drugs, the company announced on Thursday.

The provocative documentary, produced by Bery Marcus and “Enoutrage” star Adrian Grenier, features interviews with everyone from 50 Cent to Eminem to Woody Harrelson.

Director Matthew Cooke and his team also interviewed high-ranking officials like the U.S. Drug Czar, seeking to find a unique perspective on the drug war. It is set up as an instructional video, taking the viewer through the 10-step process of how one moves from being a street dealer to a kingpin.

“This is a work that resonates with truth, anger and insight by an extremely talented filmmaker,” Geoff Gilmore, Chief Creative Officer of Tribeca Enterprises, said in a statement. “From politics to the police and drug dealers to drug users, the scope of Matthew Cooke’s examination of these illicit networks is extraordinary.”

Tribeca plans to release the film theatrically in 2013 day and offer it to viewers via on-demand day and date. The plan is to make it available in more than 40 million homes through those VOD offerings, as well as iTunes, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video and Xbox.

“Seeing this film find a home with Tribeca after all this time is definitely a dream come true. And the timing couldn't be better,” Cooke said in a statement. “Today America consumes a majority of the marijuana and 40% of the world's cocaine while simultaneously incarcerating more of its citizens than any country in the history of the world. We hope to encourage a national conversation on one of the worst public policy failures of the last 50 years. And do so in a way that's engaging, entertaining and inspiring.”

Source
You should read this.

Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Boris2626 » Sep 16th, '12, 01:28

It is just a trailer the docu comes out end of the year
Boris2626
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Amaranthine » Sep 16th, '12, 02:15

Boris2626 wrote:It is just a trailer the docu comes out end of the year

The film has already been shown at the TIFF festival. It's coming out in 2013 on DVD, not the end of this year.
You should read this.

Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Amaranthine » Oct 18th, '12, 21:03

Lightning Entertainment has acquired the international rights to “How to Make Money Selling Drugs,” a documentary about the war on drugs co-produced by Bert Marcus and “Entourage” star Adrien Grenier.

The film, which features interviews with 50 Cent, Eminem, Arianna Huffington, Woody Harrelson and high-level government officials, premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival to wide acclaim, prompting Tribeca Films to snap up the domestic rights.

It will be released theatrically and on VOD in more than 40 million homes next year.

“This is a uniquely dynamic documentary which is both incredibly entertaining, but also very insightful and profound in the message it delivers,” Robert Beaumont, president of Lightning Entertainment, a Santa-Monica based sales, production and distribution company, said in a statement. “The scope and intelligence of the filmmakers’ examination of the subject is extraordinary.”

Matthew Cooke directed the provocative documentary, which functions as an instructional video of sorts, tracking drug trades from the street dealer to the cartel chieftain.

A mélange of pop culture references and in-depth reporting, the film critiques the current war on drugs while also presenting the positions of the Drug Enforcement Agency and the U.S. Drug Czar.

Source
You should read this.

Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Doodlebug » Nov 11th, '12, 14:15

Emadyville wrote:
Amaranthine wrote:Sure, but even Em's part in the Art of Rap was shot a year before the movie was released, and two years before it was released for some of the rappers in it. It takes a while to put it all together and get it out there.

yeah they were both documentaries so i understand, but can you imagine some interview you gave being released over 2 years later? it would seem weird to me cause in 2 years your whole mind-state can change and you might not even agree with what you said back then. Not saying that's the case, but that's why it is really weird to me.

People are going to use what ever they can to bring more attention to their creation, even if it is years older or even out of context.
>> call me Deb...
We are the children of pain.... educated by hurt..." - Deb
Doodlebug
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby flyingmonkey10 » Feb 9th, '13, 02:34

any word or update on it coming out soon? couldnt find info :(
How can hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?

Image ImageImageImageImage
flyingmonkey10
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Amaranthine » Jun 17th, '13, 21:05

It’s not only the poor who suffer, nonetheless. In a brief exposé moment, Eminem shares an intimate narrative of his own, discussing his dependency on the prescription drug Vicodin.

Slim Shady talks about overcoming his addiction, going three weeks without sleep, and having to regain both his motor and verbal skills as a result of withdrawal.

“It’s one of the most compelling parts of the movie,” Grenier says. “Ironically speaking, we think it’s important to have a little levity, and to look at the bright faces, the human stories behind these characters. But at the same time not to glorify drug use.”

Apparently the movie is going to be in theaters June 26th.
http://thegrio.com/2013/06/17/50-cent-e ... ing-drugs/
You should read this.

Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby flyingmonkey10 » Jun 18th, '13, 17:32

Amaranthine wrote:

It’s not only the poor who suffer, nonetheless. In a brief exposé moment, Eminem shares an intimate narrative of his own, discussing his dependency on the prescription drug Vicodin.

Slim Shady talks about overcoming his addiction, going three weeks without sleep, and having to regain both his motor and verbal skills as a result of withdrawal.

“It’s one of the most compelling parts of the movie,” Grenier says. “Ironically speaking, we think it’s important to have a little levity, and to look at the bright faces, the human stories behind these characters. But at the same time not to glorify drug use.”

Apparently the movie is going to be in theaters June 26th.
http://thegrio.com/2013/06/17/50-cent-e ... ing-drugs/

FINALLY
How can hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?

Image ImageImageImageImage
flyingmonkey10
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Dextro » Aug 18th, '13, 07:24

Watch it
Didnt find it very informative.
the lines are starting to get blurry
Dextro
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner