The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Guns

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Guns

Postby SliK » Dec 17th, '12, 08:57

Gun laws are very different depending on where you are on the planet.

Australia's (and one of the world's) largest massacre took place at Point Arthur, Tasmania by a gunman that shall remain nameless in this post. After that our government completely changed our gun laws and put major restrictions on the type of guns that could be purchased. You must now pass a test to obtain a firearms license which enables you to own and operate a single or double barrel shotgun (but not a pump action), a .22 rim fire bolt or pump action rifle and center fire or muzzle loaded rifles.

My father and I own two .22 rifles and a single barrel shotgun which I use for target shooting.
Now, I would love to own a handgun or a semi-automatic (and even an automatic) rifle. But due to Australian gun laws I cannot legally do that with the license I have. It is possible to obtain handguns but it must be part of a club membership. We cannot carry guns on us (concealed or otherwise).

Do you think these laws would help reduce the number of deaths in America?
To me, guns (and gun laws) don't kill people-- people kill people. I think if someone wants to go on a massacre then they will, whether they can legally obtain guns or not. I think less focus should be put on these mass murderers. There is a level of celebrity these people reach when they successfully complete their rampage. The media sensationalizes it and compares each killer to previous killers, almost ranking them in order of "achievements", ie, people killed.

So, do you think changing gun laws will stop these massacres, or do you think America is past that point and requires deeper help, at a societal level? If you think the latter, what would you suggest to help?
Last edited by SliK on Feb 24th, '13, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Guns

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 17th, '12, 10:35

Yes, strict gunlaws WILL help stop these massacres.
People pulled over in cars will be confiscated of their firearms etc.

In my country there are completly illegal carrying firearms anywhere. If you have one for hunting you have to have a licens, be in a club AND youre only allowed to hunt at specific times.

Ofcourse, just making it illegal over night will be a problem. Many will stop carrying which maybe will open for more robberies and such. But over time it will get better.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
Theres no way you can save me
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SliK » Dec 17th, '12, 10:56

I'm not convinced that it will help.

20 years ago gun laws were exactly the same but you never got massacres like this. Columbine was almost as shocking as 9-11 because America (and the world) had never seen that before. Up until that point the gun laws were the same as after that point. Now massacres are becoming more and more frequent, but gun laws have remained a constant. So, how are the gun laws causing these massacres if they haven't changed in how long? Hundreds of years?

It's like, a few decades ago kids ran the streets and talked to strangers and it was no big deal. However, it is a big deal now because more and more ubductions/rapes/murders etc are happening these days. That doesn't mean we should introduce curfews and restrict the rights of many millions just because there are a few crazies lurking the streets after dark. The same can be said about guns. Don't take away the rights of millions because of a few crazy people.

Massacres are a symptom of a fucked up society and changing the gun laws will only be treating a symptom and not the root cause of the issue.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 17th, '12, 11:20

SliK wrote:I'm not convinced that it will help.

20 years ago gun laws were exactly the same but you never got massacres like this. Columbine was almost as shocking as 9-11 because America (and the world) had never seen that before. Up until that point the gun laws were the same as after that point. Now massacres are becoming more and more frequent, but gun laws have remained a constant. So, how are the gun laws causing these massacres if they haven't changed in how long? Hundreds of years?

It's like, a few decades ago kids ran the streets and talked to strangers and it was no big deal. However, it is a big deal now because more and more ubductions/rapes/murders etc are happening these days. That doesn't mean we should introduce curfews and restrict the rights of many millions just because there are a few crazies lurking the streets after dark. The same can be said about guns. Don't take away the rights of millions because of a few crazy people.

Massacres are a symptom of a fucked up society and changing the gun laws will only be treating a symptom and not the root cause of the issue.

You have some good points. But in general it looks like the typical american way of thinking.
Ill get mor inte to it later.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Dec 17th, '12, 11:33

Strict gun laws won't do shit. They will still be in circulation all over.

And people who can't get them will learn to SilkRoad
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 17th, '12, 12:39

BigBoss wrote:Strict gun laws won't do shit. They will still be in circulation all over.

And people who can't get them will learn to SilkRoad

Still, yes. But in less amount.

Over time people will stop bothering to get a gun, because it will be taken away and you will be punished for it.

Simple example: If it was legal to smoke crack, people would do it to a much larger amount than today. Isnt that quite obvious?
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EmTV » Dec 17th, '12, 12:51

Just get rid of guns period.
Wake up call, wake up call.
My answer to every question was
"Fuck Y'all!"
EmTV
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SliK » Dec 17th, '12, 13:08

I don't think there would be too many more people smoking crack if it was legal...
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 17th, '12, 13:13

Ofcourse there would. Being allowed to do something makes it accsesable (fuck it Im horrible at english) and easier to get hold of. Dont you think more people will start to smoke pot now in those states that its legal?
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SliK » Dec 17th, '12, 13:15

Social acceptance is a bigger factor than legality. Pot is already pretty well accepted in society, that's why it's so common even though its illegal. Crack certainly isn't.

Guns are, and that's why they're so prevelant.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Dec 17th, '12, 13:16

There will still be some massacres. Of course you can't stop all of them.

But would the Columbine shootings of happened..? Kids obtaining guns. Maybe not.

Would shootings happen over a bar fight/street fight..? Probably not.

America's gun laws are fucked, and what's even more scary - their gun culture is fucked. A lot of Americans have the stupid idea that you need a gun.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Dec 17th, '12, 13:19

That's right, the culture needs to change. I think their laws are fine.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby cheeseburger » Dec 17th, '12, 13:20

CrashBand wrote:There will still be some massacres. Of course you can't stop all of them.

But would the Columbine shootings of happened..? Kids obtaining guns. Maybe not.

Would shootings happen over a bar fight/street fight..? Probably not.

America's gun laws are fucked, and what's even more scary - their gun culture is fucked. A lot of Americans have the stupid idea that you need a gun.

Thank you!

Ofcourse its not the solution! Theres never ONE solution to anything. Its just one part of the whole problem.

Ive heard that in some states its actually a bigger problem to have a bottle of beer in your car, than having a loaded shotgun laying around in the back... THAT is fucking stupid.
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Dec 17th, '12, 13:20

SliK wrote:That's right, the culture needs to change. I think their laws are fine.

I think the laws should change too.

It's crazy how easy it is to get guns in America.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Dec 17th, '12, 13:49

FYI, I could massacre 20+ people with the guns I own without breaking a sweat and we have very strict gun laws so I don't think the laws will help with much.
Not to mention that black market guns will still be accessible to those who really want a powerful weapon.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Next

Return to Serious Debate