The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

This Is A Long Read For Someone With Nothing to Write About

A place to discuss music other than hip-hop.

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 25th, '13, 01:49

So, to catch everyone up on TR that's following Modest Mouse with even a passing interest (like 5 people), I thought I'd make this thread bringing everyone up to speed. Modest Mouse hasn't released a full-length album since 2007, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. This was followed by and EP called No One's First, And You're Next, comprised mostly of songs left over from the previous album, and one B-Side from Good News for People Who Love Bad News titled "I've Got It All (most)".

The Group that Ate Itself

Since their last full-length album, Johnny Marr has left the group, because he's an british asshole that simply lives too far away. Eric Judy, long-time bass player for the band has taken a break from touring, but supposedly is still writing for them in the studio. Joe Plummer may or may not be in the band, but he is also touring with The Shins. Anyone who's heard Modest Mouse knows though, Isaac Brock essentially is the band, and the talents of the other guys may be missed, but it won't drastically change the sound. The only exception to that being Johnny Marr, who's guitar style is completely different from any other Modest Mouse project, save for the one he was on, so there may be some mixed feelings there.

Building Something out of Nothing?

Since the release of No One's First, And You're Next, things have been fairly quiet. There have been nothing but whispers and rumors surrounding the next album, if there is ever to even be one. Any band that performs onstage with an absent guitar player, bass player, and drummer is sure to cause people to wonder whether or not things are going well in the lonesome crowded west. In April of 2011, Big Boi took to Twitter to the joy of some (and terror of others, no doubt) to let Modest Mouse fans know that he was in the studio with the band. Since then, the only real talk of those songs has been from Big Boi himself, who said in November of 2012 that the songs were going to be used, and added that those indie rockers from a hick town in Washington also taught him how to smoke marijuana out of an apple.

As for confirmation of the album from Isaac Brock himself, things have been less than definite. The last thing he mentioned of the project was back in June of 2010 in an interview with Pitchfork, which was conducted shortly after he did a handful of songs under the name Ugly Cassanova for the soundtrack to 180 South.

Pitchfork: What are you working on with Modest Mouse?

IB: Songs. That's that.

Pitchfork: Are they going in any particular direction?

IB: I can't say that yet. I can't say that they are. It's pretty early in the game for me to have a clear picture of what we're doing, if it's good or anything. They're going to show up again today, and we'll keep banging our heads on it. It's way too early for me to know what direction this thing is really headed. It's just a bunch of random shit at the moment.

Pitchfork: How long have you been working on the random shit?

IB: About six months. We're not killing ourselves doing it, by any means. We just had the "Hey, we should probably buckle down" conversation last week. We just putz around and smoke a bunch of weed. It's more time spent hanging out than playing music.

Pitchfork: That's got to be good for the health of the band.

IB: Yeah, we're plenty healthy. We like each other. Maybe that's our problem; we like hanging out more than writing-- kind of a good times vortex.

Since then, there's been a cameo on the series Portlandia, some jamming out with Broken Social Scene, composing the score for Queens of Country, and a cover of the Buddy Holly song "That'll Be The Day". Still, no album. What news is there?

Good News for People Who Love Less-Than-Bad News

Songs! There have been a handful of songs since 2011 that have no album yet to call home. Could these be tracks that are being road-tested before being cleaned up and put on vinyl? Are they just some sarcastic "Fuck You" to Modest Mouse fans from Baron Von Bullshit himself? Only time will tell, but for now, here's what we have so far.

Keep in mind, Modest Mouse plays songs a little differently on stage than off. The studio record generally sounds a little more epic, with instrumentation that just isn't practical to bring along. Still, you can see that there will be violins--as played by Lisa Molinaro from Talkdemonic, signed to Isaac's aptly-named Glacial Pace Records--so perhaps this album will fall somewhere between GNFPWLBN and WWDBTSES?

Songs:
"Shit In Your Cut" (04/16/13)
"Sugar Boats (Heart of Mine)" (04/16/13)
"Be Brave (audible version from HeresToNowTumblr)" (04/12/13)
"Ansel" (05/19/12)
"Lampshades on Fire" (05/29/11)
"Poison the Well" (05/29/11)
"Don't Move Here Live Performance (Give it Enough?)" (04/22/11)

We Know What's First, but What's Next?

Yeah, fuck you. I was running out of albums to make weak puns off of. So far, things are still in the air. There are some encouraging tour dates coming up though, coupled with the new songs...could we get a new album soon?

United States

05.19 Palo Alto, CA: Frost Ampitheatre (Stanford University)
    06.20 Washington, DC: 9:30 Club
    06.21 Washington, DC: 9:30 Club
    06.22 Pittsburgh, PA: Stage AE
    06.23 Atlantic City, NJ: Orion Music Festival (7-8pm)
    06.24 Randall’s Island, NY: Governors Ball Music Festival (8:30-9:40pm)
    06.26 Columbus, OH: LC Pavilion

European Tour
    06.13 Oslo, Norway: Rockerfeller
    06.14 Hultsfred: Hultsfred Festival
    06.15 Ådalen: Northside Festival
    06.17 Luxembourg: Rockhal
    06.18 Cologne, Germany: Stollwerck
    06.20 Vienna, Austria: Full Hit of the Summer
    06.21 Neuhausen: Southside Festival
    06.22 Scheessel: Hurricane Festival
    06.23 Hilvarenbeek, NL: Best Kept Secret Festival
    06.25 Paris, France: Trabendo
    06.26 Rennes, France: L’Ubu
    06.28 Vitoria-Gasteiz, ES: Azkena Rock Festival
    06.30 St. Gallen Open Air St. Gallen
    07.02 Dresden, Germany: Beatpol
    07.03 Berlin, Germany: Postbahnhof
    07.04 Gdynia, Poland: Open’er Festival
    07.06 Werchter, Belgium: Rock Werchter
    07.07 Arras, France: Arras Festival
    07.08 Brighton, UK: Concorde 2
    07.09 Bristol, UK: Bristol Academy
    07.11 London, UK: Roundhouse
    07.12 Leeds, UK: Leeds University Stylus
    07.13 Balado, Kinross-Shire, Scotland: T in the Park
    07.14 Gateshead, UK: Sage 2
    07.16 Manchester, UK: Academy 2
    07.17 Nottingham, UK: Rock City Main Hall
    07.18 Birmingham, UK: Library
    07.19 Suffolk, UK: Latitude Festival
    07.19 - 07.21 Punchestown, Co. Kildare: Longitude Festival

Damn.

Busy Schedule, no doubt. Hopefully, this is an indication that most of the recording work is done. Otherwise, it looks like my fellow Modest Mouse fans will have to wait until at least the end of the summer for any good news. You know, if we get any news at all...

Here's hoping for the best. :b:
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: The new Modest Mouse songs Thread

Postby DƎRDYPK » Apr 25th, '13, 01:56

word, Isaac Brock got a really nice crib tbh.
& a new album should be out sometime this year too :-k
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby Chet Starr » Apr 25th, '13, 01:59

I'll keep missing Johnny Marr

I think they have the strongest in all of Rock music, 5 solid classic albums. I don't mind the wait yet, I been getting pretty hyped from all the activity this year.

They recorded This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About & The Lonesome Crowded West here in Olympia <3
CSPRODUCTIONS918
#YellowChetTeam
Chet Starr
Role Model
Role Model

Postby AbramIsaac » Apr 25th, '13, 02:09

DƎRDYPK wrote:word, Isaac Brock got a really nice crib tbh.
& a new album should be out sometime this year too :-k

Here's hoping.

I loved "Poison the Well" and "Lampshades on Fire", and "Shit in Your Cut" sounds great to me. I'm thinking that if this is the type of direction they're going with, things should be good.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: This Is A Long Read For Someone With Nothing to Write Ab

Postby Alex2012 » Apr 26th, '13, 14:47

They have great lyrics difficult to get the meaning sometimes, Spitting Venom, The Whale Song, The World At Large, Gravity Rides Everything, Baby Blue Sedan..

It's cool artists take the time to make music and enjoy their life, and don't do music just because they are forced to do it.
I'm out of the matrix and I improved my music taste here, I opened my eyes and discovered so different ways to see the world, thanks to you all!

That started here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=111344

That will end here:
http://www.hiphopshelter.com/
Alex2012
Soldier
Soldier

Return to General Music