The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

3 Questions from a hip-hop newb

3 Questions from a hip-hop newb

Postby metsfan1121 » May 13th, '13, 02:04

I started listening to hip hop about 2 years ago, and since then it has been 100% of my music. I have some questions for the veterans out there about writing and hip-hop in general. If this is the wrong spot just move it.

1) What is considered stealing? Like can you rhyme two words that are rhymed in another song? I used cannabis and cancerous and then realized I heard that in an eminem song, should I remove it?
2) Does a freestyle have to be off the top of your head?
3) What's the best way to learn beat production?
metsfan1121
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: 3 Questions from a hip-hop newb

Postby Snakebeast » May 13th, '13, 02:18

1) Dude, its a rhyme. Everybody has "bit" rhymes from other rappers. There are simply too many rhymes for people NOT to have repeated. For example: Dark shit/hardest. No doubt that other rappers have used that rhyme countless times.

2) No. That's a common misconception. Freestyle means "free of style". Not "off the top of the head". 95% of freestyles these days are pre-writtens.

3) This question I have no idea about. Probably ask one of the members here, I guess.

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)
Snakebeast
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Eedee » May 13th, '13, 02:52

1) Yeah, as Snake said, a rhyme is a rhyme... But there are many ways to phrase words to avoid that kind of stuff. Or pick a synonym and try to make a whole new rhyme but with the same meaning. That's why rap is fun. So many possibilities.

2) No. Most are pre-written but practicing freestyles is awesome. You'll blow yourself away sometimes when you realize you thought of that practically instantly lol

3) Watch some tutorial videos on YouTube. I suggest you get FL Studio, that's what many great producers use. Drum patterns, piano roll melodies, basslines... just get the gist of production and then you can toy around with the intricacies when you get the simple stuff down.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby metsfan1121 » May 14th, '13, 00:27

Thanks guys, I think I'll be posting in the CW section soon
metsfan1121
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Spyder » May 14th, '13, 07:55

Ya eedee got it really. Some members may be able to help you achieve a program to make beats, then start learning
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Return to C.W. Lounge