The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Where is Sega in all this?

Discuss the world of gaming here, from Gameboy to Playstation 3.

Re: Where is Sega in all this?

Postby DƎRDYPK » Sep 15th, '13, 15:18

DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby mdemaz » Sep 15th, '13, 15:21

Fuck, I haven't seen that shit in like, 15 years...
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby ShadyOnFire » Nov 23rd, '13, 20:13

SEGA should make a handheld system and maybe one last console, Sonic is my favorite video game character ever, I want one last SEGA console tbh.
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again?
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line

Like I'm locked up inside a shot up Bonnie and Clyde car
Uncle Ronnie is driving, 'bout to burst in through the side door
Of Arkham Asylum and park in the dining room

THANK YOU, TRSHADY!!!
ShadyOnFire
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Im-Shady » Dec 22nd, '13, 17:25

Sega master system that had Alex the kid built in and the Sega mega drive was the shit growing up but the SNES ruled tho :worship:

Fuck you're xbox one's and ps4's man :D
Been Listening to Slim since you thought Eminem was Candy BITCH
Im-Shady
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Never_Enough » Dec 22nd, '13, 17:50

In italian a SEGA means to mansturbate.
Never_Enough
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Just Silver » Dec 22nd, '13, 17:59

They're more behind the scenes now but I still play genesis lol
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby AbramIsaac » Dec 22nd, '13, 18:48

Consoles cost a ridiculous amount of money to develop, manufacture, and market. Sega released multiple consoles with poor to lukewarm reception, each one a nail in their hardware coffin. The Dreamcast was a great system for its time, ahead of the competition in many ways. Unfortunately the timing of the console put it behind, and the fact that you could pirate games on it without a mod chip really sunk it. Perhaps they could have recovered from it, if it weren't for the fact that the previous Sega Saturn hadn't been such a massive failure.

The original Xbox nice what the successor the Dreamcast likely would have been.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SG. » Dec 22nd, '13, 20:41

That would an impractically dumb decision. Sega is already in the shitter financially with Sonic basically being its only potentially profitable franchise right now… and it's not reaching that potential at all. Another console, in a highly competitive market where NOTHING is really a runaway success (this is now, not 2006, the Wii is dead), would kill Sega deader than dead. And what then? Does Derdy wait in the hope that Nintendo buys all the Sega IPs (which it wouldn't) while those fond memories of playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive (yeah, fuck you America) disappear?
Menzo wrote:Lmao, you gotta love Zabe / SG...guy's so underrated.

StayWideAwake wrote:"Naturally handicapped, until proven intentionally retarded"
SG.
The Watcher
The Watcher

Postby AbramIsaac » Dec 22nd, '13, 20:50

Beyond that, Sega's niche is now gone.

Sega made money off of the Sonic franchise and sports games. Sports titles already have a home, between Xbox and Playstation. Sonic the Hedgehog games are now played on Nintendo and Xbox (with the Live Arcade). There's nowhere for a Sega console to fit anymore. If they wanted to cater to indie devs, that niche is also closed with the Steam consoles starting to ship.

The love for Sega is all nostalgia. They made a console that was different in a time when the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo were the only options. Now, there are options to fit every need, and breaking the company to produce a console that would fail doesn't even make sense to a company like Sega, that has made nothing but bad decisions since the Genesis.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Kill You » Dec 24th, '13, 20:46

As much as I like Sega, Abram is right as always. All the love for it is nostalgia.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby AbramIsaac » Dec 24th, '13, 21:21

It's sad though, for sure.

The Dreamcast could have been such a game changer. The graphics were beautiful for the time of release. The controller was bulky, but the triggers! Internet browsing, downloadable content, online multiplayer...all with a console and a dial-up connection. So much potential.

If Sega could have done things differently...having a stronger game selection, outside of sports, that would have attracted console gamers, DVD instead of CD, and not leaving their shit open to a simple bootstrap program that would allow anyone with a cd burner to pirate their games...I think the console market might look different today.

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Arrinef » Dec 24th, '13, 21:43

I remember jet set radio made graffiti seem so fun. I honestly hope sega makes a comeback later on. No one reps Nintendo anymore. It's a comfort brand now where most Nintendo fans buy the same 1st party games they already played a billion times over.

---- Image-----
Arrinef
Knight Rider
Knight Rider

Postby Just Silver » Dec 24th, '13, 21:53

I wish they'd just continue genesis games and have exclusive retro stuff but modernized
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Hadez » Jan 4th, '14, 09:26

Honestly, if Sega came in it could only compete with the Wii. Basically the console wars would split in two. Right now there's just one war: Xbox vs Playstation. The Wii-U is just something you get for giggles or exclusives. Let's be honest, nobody ever gets Wii or Wii-U to play hardcore. You get it for Zelda and Mario, and obviously Smash Bros. It pretty much falls into it's own category. "I'm choosing Xbox/PS but I'll pick up a Wii too." You don't choose Nintendo over the other two. You just get it to supplement the "hardcore" console with a "softcore" console.

PS and Xbox are so alike already it's not even funny. It's like Coke or Pepsi. They're both carbonated, have sugar, go well with BBQs and Pizza, and give you caffeine for your caffeine fix. What is the ONLY true difference? The flavor. That's pretty much what those two consoles are now. Do you prefer this Menu UI or that one? This controller or that one? The shape of this one or the shape of that one? Really you're just deciding over the flavor. You're still provided with a brown colored soda regardless of what you pick. Last gen wasn't like this because PS had Blu Ray as it's major difference from Xbox. But this gen they come with the same shit.

If Sega jumped into that battle it'd just be the RC Cola brand of soda and will be the same, but different... in a bad way. Then you'd have three consoles exactly like each other. Therefore, Sega could really only compete with Nintendo. Which means the war is now PS vs Xbox/Sega vs Nintendo.
Hadez
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Kill You » Jan 4th, '14, 23:49

Hadez wrote:Honestly, if Sega came in it could only compete with the Wii. Basically the console wars would split in two. Right now there's just one war: Xbox vs Playstation. The Wii-U is just something you get for giggles or exclusives. Let's be honest, nobody ever gets Wii or Wii-U to play hardcore. You get it for Zelda and Mario, and obviously Smash Bros. It pretty much falls into it's own category. "I'm choosing Xbox/PS but I'll pick up a Wii too." You don't choose Nintendo over the other two. You just get it to supplement the "hardcore" console with a "softcore" console.

PS and Xbox are so alike already it's not even funny. It's like Coke or Pepsi. They're both carbonated, have sugar, go well with BBQs and Pizza, and give you caffeine for your caffeine fix. What is the ONLY true difference? The flavor. That's pretty much what those two consoles are now. Do you prefer this Menu UI or that one? This controller or that one? The shape of this one or the shape of that one? Really you're just deciding over the flavor. You're still provided with a brown colored soda regardless of what you pick. Last gen wasn't like this because PS had Blu Ray as it's major difference from Xbox. But this gen they come with the same shit.

If Sega jumped into that battle it'd just be the RC Cola brand of soda and will be the same, but different... in a bad way. Then you'd have three consoles exactly like each other. Therefore, Sega could really only compete with Nintendo. Which means the war is now PS vs Xbox/Sega vs Nintendo.

Spitting dos facks doe :worship:
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Spot