The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Kanye West - "Yeezus" An Underdog Review

A place to discuss songs within our favourite genre.

Kanye West - "Yeezus" An Underdog Review

Postby Atone » Nov 28th, '13, 10:20

Due to the long wave of crazy rants and outburst from Kanye West, as well as his current marriage to well know TV Hooker Kim Kardashian, i lost ALOT of respect for Kanye West, when Yeezus dropped, i gave it a half a listen during my hour long lunch break, listened to 2 songs and turned it off.

fast forward 5 months, the recent Sway intervew where everybody acted like Kanye lost his mind, at first i ignored it, and then he did an interview with Power 105.1, which is pretty much the only radio station i watch on Youtube for their interviews, the way he handled himself with Charlamane, the fact he CONTROLLED HIMSELF, knowing, Charlamane has always been the guy to push buttons, that, made me like Kanye a bit, so i went back and watched to Sway Interview, the video, not the audio only version, Kanye didn't really flip, he was trying to get a point across, and i began to understand him, those 2 interviews made me respect him more, and from there, i gave Yeezus a real listen, start to finish, in fact, i played thru the entire thing TWICE.

so, here's my opinion.

1. On Sight 8/10

Love the beat, not your usual rap beat, and then Kanye comes in, kills it, he did his thing on a complicated beat to rap to, the switch up was cool, and then he got back to doin his thing and i was noddin to it, definitly somethin i could keep on replay, great track to start the album off.

2. Black Skinhead 9/10

This beat, wow, i know it samples something, not sure, but, the beat itself get's me amped, i feel like i'm in the woods running, the chanting is dope, his vocals, make it even better, he really goes off with this, another track i could keep on replay, so far Yeezus starts off amazing.

3. I Am A God 7/10

Before i even play this...Kanye, featuring God? come on man, this is why people laugh at you sometimes, BUT, let's get into the track, The Bass at the beginning makes me fear playing this in a car, my tires might roll off lol, the Jamican man in this reminds me of Games One Blood track, average Kanye Hook, nothing to crazy, but his flow is amazing, again, he's really goin off, at the same time, being self aware of what people said about him at the start of his career, the replay value for this song is, meh, nothing really noteworthy but still a great song.

4. New Slaves 5/10

At this point, i feel like Kanye's flow doesn't really change much on this album, the beat sounds like it would have fit "I Am A God" better, his flow is alright, repetitive, doesn't say anything noteworthy, although, t5he beat makes me feel like i'm playin a dark version of one of the Mario & Luigi games.

5. Hold My Liquor 3/10

Starts off feeling like the beginning of When I'm gone by Eminem, or One More Drink by Ludacris, again, same repetitve flow, still listenable, but nothing special, hook sounds like a Kid Cudi leftover, i'm 2 and a half minutes in and ready to skip, in fact, i don't think anything big is going to happen...skip

6. I'm In It 8/10

Oh Shit, love the beat already, Same flow, as usual, but, the double layer lower pitch thing makes this song kinda cool, he changes it up alot in this song, things are pickin up again, lovin this song, alot of replay value on this.

7. Blood On The Leaves 7/10

Didn't he, half ass perform this on an award show? with a giant shadow or soemthin? i ignored it, was watchin for the Eminem stuff, anyways, feels like an 808's and Heartbreaks song, i don't like, but i don't hate, the auto tune...and then the beat really picks up, i'm starting to like this, feels like this should have started the album, it's a good interlude if only this album was longer. 6 minute song? alright, and he switches his flow, no more autotune, ok, this should have DEFINITLY started the album off.

8. Guilt Trip 2/10

Another song that starts off, reminding me of 808's and Heartbreaks, but this time the Autotune isn't so obvious, but then all he does is sing, this is weird, no replay value, this should have been a 1 minute long interlude, not a 4 minute...idk, i don't like.

9. Send It Up 5/10

Whoeve3r is on this is not credited, which annoys me, Finally Kanye comes in, nothing amazing, but a great beat, skipping

10. Bound 2 9/10

I like this track, the video not so much, but this reminds me of diamonds from seirra leonne with a mix of gold digger, he's bringin the old Kanye in this, i like, great beat, good way to end the album.

Overall, 63/100, not his best work, of course, it's only 10 songs, but, if this was school, a 63/100 aint even a D-, i wouldn't call this album a failure tho,
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Kanye West - "Yeezus" An Underdog Review

Postby Kill You » Nov 30th, '13, 17:23

Bound 2 is 3/10 tbh
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Kill You » Nov 30th, '13, 17:27

Hage wrote:bound 2 is 0.5/10

Didn't want to be harsh but I think I'd really give it like a 1/10 lol. Not even because of the video, I've never liked this song. The rapping is so horrendous.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby mdemaz » Nov 30th, '13, 17:46

whew dope review fam
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Son Goku » Jun 15th, '14, 18:42

Atone wrote:4. New Slaves 5/10

5. Hold My Liquor 3/10

Disgusting

you should be ashamed for even thinking this
Son Goku
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Raul » Jun 15th, '14, 20:46

I disagree about the New Slaves, I am a God and BOTL scores.

Besides that, I think your review is great :y:

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby SlmShady200 » Jun 19th, '14, 17:14

Completely disagree on your scores for new slaves, BOTL, Guilt Trip (2/10, wtf), and Send it Up. Send it Up is atrocious overall, and that beat is God-awful. Bound 2 doesn't need to be that high, the rapping is lazy AF.
Other than that, your commentary on the album is spot-on. :y:
"Homophobic? Nah, you're just heterophobic".
SlmShady200
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Hip Hop Reviews