The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Your Hip Hop Timeline/Story Thread

For discussion of mainstream Hip Hop or Urban music.

Re: Your Hip Hop Timeline/Story Thread

Postby Raul » Dec 28th, '13, 16:39

My story is a lot shorter, but here it goes.

?????-2009: Watching hip hop videos on TV

Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye West. MTV Brazil played videos of these artists and I watched it a lot. Good old times. Simple. I was too young, so I didn't had a computed or something to archive and know more music, so that was it.

2009-2012: It was mostly a Pop fase, the only hip hop I listened was still 50's, Kanye's and Eminem's music. I bought Relapse album and it was my addiction in 2010, before came out. I liked Recovery at first, so I listened to it a lot. It was only those 3 artists.

April-August, 2013: Stannerism

I became a true Stan on April, when I got tired of pop music and started to search on the internet for everything about Eminem. During April-August I listened to all of his albums like 1000 times. I also searched the internet for Kanye's albums and listened to them a lot. Eminem #1 and Kanye #2, forever. The GOATs. Image

August, 2013 - ?: Explosion of new music

Nas, 50 Cent discography, Dre, Kendrick, B.I.G., Tyler, the Creator, Yelawolf albums. All of them. I mostly thank TRShady and KTT for opening me for new music, and expanding my knowledge about lyrics, beat, flow, all that rap stuff. I became more hungry for rap music since then.

Some random albums aswell: The Heist, Doris, My Name is My Name, 7 days of Funk, The Cutting Room Floor 3. All of them are good-great albums, in my opinion. And now I'm willing to listen to more rap.

Whew, that's it. I'm still a newbie.

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Willy » Dec 28th, '13, 17:34

I cant remember dates too good but it went something like...

The Eminem Era ---> The Hopsin Era ---> The Jokerr Era ----> The Eminem/Hopsin/Jokerr era

Cool thread though Aone, wish I had something better to add.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 19:48

haha i'll bite

Sometime in 2003 (3rd grade)- up until this point in my life I listened to country and classic rock because thats what my parents played me. But one of my friends dad played me Get Rich or Die Tryin in the car on a road trip and I loved it and pretty much became a rap fan from then on.

2003-2008 (3rd grade-8th grade)- I pretty much just listened to whatever was on the radio. I really fucked with Lil Wayne, even bought the Carter III and still have it, but Chingy, Yung Joc, Dem Franchize Boyz, Trick Daddy, Soulja Boy, T.I., etc, were all the artists I listened to.

Sometime in 2008 (8th Grade)- I remember this plain as day lol I downloaded "I'm With Whateva" because I was stanning Lil Wayne hard but it was a "new" Biggie track off that duets album but it was so good I downloaded the rest of the album and ended up falling in love with Biggie. So I downloaded his old shit and a bunch of other older albums so I had a little period where I started getting into Illmatic & Pac and other old albums

2008-2010 (End of 8th, 9th Grade & beginning of 10th Grade)- I also remember this plain as day. SSLP was one of the older albums I was listening to and discovered something that would change my life while listening to As The World Turns. I noticed that he rhymed Jenny Craig with Skinny Twig. Not just one syllable but multiple syllables. As I paid more attention he did this in every line. That's when I started stanning Em and listened to nothing but his music for about 2 years straight with a little bit of the classics stuff I mentioned in the last paragraph. Also found Tr during this period.

2010-2011 (10th grade & 11th Grade)- Well at this point I was beating off to rhymes and punchlines almost as hard as Elision does and I hated Recovery so I moved on from Em and started getting into underground stuff. Vinnie Paz, Apathy, Copywrite, Diabolic, Immortal Technique, Rhyme Asylum, you name it and I listened to it. Was a real douche but was really angry and depressed irl so I connected to the more angry and underground image of these rappers more.

2011-2012 (11th & 12th Grade)- At this point my life was better and I was happy and all that blah blah blah so I was moving on from that part of the underground scene and getting into the other side of it and listening to Atmosphere, Eyedea, Sadistik, etc from the white emo rapper scene. Started getting into the actual lyrics more than rhymes

2012- present (Freshmen and Sophomore year of college)- Started partying more and having fun so I started getting into a lot more mainstream rap. Kendrick, Kanye, Jay-Z, Lupe, etc. Still listen to all the Rhymesayers esq rappers cause I still fuck with lyrics but I also can appreciate a good 2 Chainz song. Listen to more varied rap now than I ever did before when I would just stan one style of rap. Don't rly listen to any of the fuck wack mainstream rappers I'm a lyrical murderer shit anymore cause that's all corny to me.

:flutter:
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 20:04

yeah it is great because you're truly able to enjoy and appreciate all facets of hip-hop. I made that transition while I was on about a year break from tr tho so when I came back I was completely different and freaked a lot of people out lol but yeah.
Last edited by classthe_king on Dec 28th, '13, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 20:17

I meant tr, not hip-hop if that part made zero sense

and yeah I actually liked Trap Lord a lot too. Not as much as lla but Work, Shabba, Dump, Murda Somethin are all great songs.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby King Lance » Dec 28th, '13, 20:18

this time last year Class was the biggest kendrick hater you could find on the internet... but we in the same team now :flutter:

King Lance
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby classthe_king » Dec 28th, '13, 20:21

meh not this time last year. maybe like a year and a half ago. I had never listened to him tho and was just fighting against what I thought at the time was a circle jerk. I'm definitely #teamkendrick now tho
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby TRSL » Dec 28th, '13, 20:25

- Till 2010 I've always listened to rap, but didn't really pay attention to what was going on. I was just listening to great mainstream rap songs like Lose Yourself, Stronger, 99 Problems, In Da Club etc.

- In 2010 I became a huge Em stan, learnt all his albums by heart (except for Encore), and was basically just
listening to him. I stanned the fuck out of Recovery when it first came out :shifty:

- In 2011 I slowly envolved in studying other rappers aswell. I really wanted to go back in time at that moment and was listening to the greats (Tupac, Biggie, Big L, Wu-Tang, Jay, Nas,...). This was my 'current hip hop sucks' phase. :zipped:
I also started to get into more underground/less known rappers like Sadistik, Hopsin, Atmosphere,...

- In 2012 I became a huuuuuge Kanye stan after my first listen to MBDTF and the WTT concert I went to. At that moment (because Em wasn't really putting out music), Kanye became my favourite artist. I went to another show begin 2013 and knew all his albums. Jay was my second favourite.

- In 2013 my Em stannery sparked back up after going to 2 of his concerts. I lost a little bit interest in Kanye after he put out Yeezus and I made place to listen to other rappers. Kendrick was one of them who I really studied this year, aswell as J. Cole, Yelawolf, ASAP Rocky, Big Krit, ...
Last edited by TRSL on Dec 28th, '13, 20:27, edited 2 times in total.
TRSL
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mike_88 » Dec 28th, '13, 20:25

Started from some Ice T & Ice Cube tape in 98-99, then was Pac, a lot of his music. Onyx a lil' bit too.
At that time more West Coast stuff, Cypress Hill stuff, and Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit of cource.
And i'm a big fan of DMX's old music. He was even better then Eminem for me in 2003-04.
In 2007-08 I started listening to T.I.'s music. I think he's dope as fuck too.
Really love what The Roots doing.
Sometimes you can hear in my headphones some old hip-hop, like A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, or Naughty By Nature. I think that was really great era for rap music.
I love Mobb Deep, Nas & Tech N9ne as well.
From new it's Kendrick. All TDE crew.
Last edited by Mike_88 on Dec 28th, '13, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_88
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill You » Dec 28th, '13, 20:39

Okay, call me a sheep or whatever but I honestly didn't start getting into hip hop until 2007 after I listened to Eminem lol.

From 2007-2009 the only hip hop I would ever listen to was Eminem. I used to hate hip hop so much with the exception of Eminem lol. The rest was rock and heavy metal. After Relapse came out, I started to gain an appreciation for the craft so I started to listen to artists similar to Em and also artists who were just as popular like Kanye and Jay. I listened to Wayne right after Eminem because I had heard this guy was so amazing so then I heard him and was like "K, wat" lol. So he sort of turned me off of hip hop a little bit, and then I heard the Kid Cudi album and liked him a lot although as of right now he sucks to me. So I just started fucking with artists and now I'm in love with hip hop. It's about the only genre I listen to. Even when I start listening to some older rock music I used to enjoy I'll turn it off soon and go back to a hip hop song lol. I just love the craft a lot, love a lot of the production. I love that an artist will use shit like strings and synths and it wouldn't sound out of place like it would on a rock album.

So yes, I am a very late bloomer, but you know what they say...better late than never.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby King Lance » Dec 28th, '13, 20:43

1994- I got into the genre when I was 4.
yeah I was too young to listen to some music but my mom used to love Pac, Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre and I grew up on west coast music... my mom is cool, isn't she ? Image

1997- I was 7 and already a big Tupac fan, dude was my idol :wub:
2000-2004- Eminem, 50 cent, Dr Dre, Jay-Z, Nas
2004-2006- Rock music
2007-2010- Blu, Nas, KRS-One, Rakim, Scarface, Wu-Tang, Q-Tip..
2010-2011- Eminem again
2012- discovered kendrick with Fuck a hook but I only got into him with Cartoon & Cereal :wub: and he made me relisten to some oldschool music

now listening to Kendrick, Tupac, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, NWA, Scarface, KRS-ONE, Rass Kass, Lupe Fiasco, Ab-Soul, Jcole, Prime Lil Wayne, Nas, prime Jay-Z, Blu, 50, camron,... Image
Last edited by King Lance on Dec 28th, '13, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

King Lance
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Kill You » Dec 28th, '13, 20:44

King Lance wrote:1994- I got into the genre when I was 4.
yeah I was too young to listen to some music but my mom used to love Pac, Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre and I grew up on west coast music... my mom is cool, isn't she ? Image

2004-2006- Rock music

2010-2011- Eminem again Image

2012-now- discovered kendrick with Fuck a hook but I only got into him with Cartoon & Cereal :wub: and he made me relisten to the west coast classics.

Kendrick, Tupac, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, NWA,..

Dude your mom sounds awesome. :y:
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby King Lance » Dec 28th, '13, 20:49

Kill You wrote:
King Lance wrote:1994- I got into the genre when I was 4.

2004-2006- Rock music

2010-2011- Eminem again Image

2012-now- discovered kendrick with Fuck a hook but I only got into him with Cartoon & Cereal :wub: and he made me relisten to the west coast classics.

Kendrick, Tupac, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, NWA,..

Dude your mom sounds awesome. :y:

and shes white Image

King Lance
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby dead prez » Dec 28th, '13, 22:31

lol no
Last edited by dead prez on Jan 19th, '14, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby dead prez » Dec 28th, '13, 23:06

classthe_king wrote: Don't rly listen to any of the fuck wack mainstream rappers I'm a lyrical murderer shit anymore cause that's all corny to me.

:flutter:

You still need to listen to Funcrusher Plus and Masters of The Universe to pay homage to the original "Fuck these wack mcs" rappers, but they're dope tho. Especially Company Flow.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Next

Return to Hip Hop Domain