The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

LINKIN PARK vs. EMINEM

A place to discuss music other than hip-hop.

Re: LINKIN PARK vs. EMINEM

Postby Solace » Jun 10th, '14, 16:27

Concession accepted
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Mr Change » Jun 10th, '14, 17:32

Aone10 wrote:
Mr Change wrote:Just as there are rap and hip hop albums that didn't click with audiences but gained a following as years pass, Hybrid Theory is the same way. I won't lie and say I can think of an example, but there are many. Just as there are with movies. Hybrid Theory did things for nu-metal that no other album did. Period.

Keep in mind, this entire forum has been googly eyed over Relapse for the past what, three years? Calling it amazing, a "Masterpiece", and many on here even claim it rivals SSLP, TES, or even MMLP. I've seen many say it surpasses some of them (lol)

Do I even need to show you Relapse's wikpedia professional rating chart? :laughing:

Saying Hybrid Theory is a nu-metal masterpiece and influential in the genre hardly rivals the farcry that Relapse is a "masterpiece" in any way, shape, or form--ESPECIALLY considering the rest of Eminem's discography.

Hybrid Theory isn't a bad album, it's actually my favorite Linkin Park album, but it's nowhere near as good as MMLP or even close to being the best the Nu-Metal genre has to offer, that's all I'm saying.

And now that you are starting the conversation, what exactly did Hybrid Theory do for Nu Metal that no other album did?

I just feel in my opinion it was a culmination of what nu-metal was up to that point and raised the bar. It sure sold like hot cakes as well which was something that only others like Limp Bizkit or Korn could do and it was a debut album.
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Mr Change » Jun 10th, '14, 17:54

Aone10 wrote:I'd say nu metal bands from that era that really raised the bar were System of A Down and Slipknot. They added originality to the genre and truly helped it evolve, unfortunately there weren't enough bands doing that as record labels were trying to take advantage of the Linkin Park wave and sell as many records with as many shitty bands as they possibly could.

Which brings me back to my claim that Hybrid Theory was influential. Even if it was for the worse, Linkin Park 'fever' circa 2001 was insane back then.
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby classthe_king » Jun 12th, '14, 06:59

Deftones are good Nu Metal.

Linkin Park is ass
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Mr Change » Jun 13th, '14, 02:04

DancinOnYaGrave wrote:It's interesting cuz both Em and LP had very similar careers. Their first albums were classics and what most people consider their best (SSLP, MMLP, TES, HT, Meteora). Then they dropped albums that everyone ended up hating (Encore, Relapse, Minutes to Midnight) so they ended up trying to release mature albums (Recovery, A Thousand Suns) After that they just wanted to release something that was fun (H:TS, Living Things) and on their latest albums they pretty much went back to the mindstate they had back in 2000, with Em dropping a sequel to MMLP and LP dropping what's been described as a prequel to Hybrid Theory (MMLP2, THP).

That's a very strange, yet accurate observation tbh :y: Sums things up quite nicely

Although, all do respect to Meteora--and trust me, I know it's legacy is definitely what you claim and nothing less--as the years go by I become less and less fond of it. It's an unpopular opinion I've developed.

In my opinion the quintessential Linkin Park albums are HT, Reanimation, ATS, and THP

Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Previous

Return to General Music