The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Gamers still hear gunfire, screams and falling coins days af

Discuss the world of gaming here, from Gameboy to Playstation 3.

Gamers still hear gunfire, screams and falling coins days af

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 30th, '14, 12:43

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 36043.html

Gamers still hear gunfire, screams and falling coins days after playing, study finds

A study led by Nottingham Trent University’s International Gaming Research Unit has found that some gamers still hear in-game sounds in real life days after playing.

The research, which comes across a bit VIDEO GAMES BREED MURDERERS but has some interesting findings all the same, collected data from 1,244 gamers who had experienced ‘game transfer phenomena’ – perceptions, cognitions and behaviours influenced by video game playing.

Most of the experiences reported revolved around sound effects, music and characters' voices from games, particularly from shooters and RPGs, with common sounds heard including vehicles, lasers, bullets, beeping, explosions, swords, groans, screams, ringing and breathing, though 'falling coins' would appear to be a hangover from a platformer gaming session.

One gamer reported hearing someone constantly whispering "death" for a few days meanwhile, with another claiming to hear the words ‘go, go, go’ in his head when he wanted people to move in the subway.

"Some gamers initially believed that the sounds were coming from an external source," the research unit added, "or that something which occurs in the game was about to happen."

The sounds appear to have been heard after long sessions, such as two days straight or through the night, with some respondents reporting that they had concerns about these replays, were worried that they were "going crazy", and felt the sounds were "scary", "annoying", "maddening" and "disconcerting".

An earlier study by the team found a similar situation with visuals from gamers remaining in players' heads, such as menus popping up in front of their eyes and power bars appearing above people’s heads.

"This research supports findings of previous studies into game transfer phenomena, which show that videogame playing can induce pseudo hallucinatory-like experiences," said Angelica Ortiz De Gortari, a psychology researcher at the university

"These experiences can sometimes result in illogical thoughts and behaviours. It's important to help gamers understand their experiences since re-experiencing sounds and voices may provoke distress, especially when associated with dangerous situations in the game."

Researcher Professor Mark Griffiths added: “Game Transfer Phenomena appears to be commonplace among excessive gamers and most of these phenomena are short-lasting, temporary, and resolve of their own accord.

“For some gamers, the phenomena are conditioned responses, therefore the best way for the tiny minority that may have longer lasting phenomena is to simply cut down the amount they play."
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Gamers still hear gunfire, screams and falling coins day

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 30th, '14, 12:49

True Wiz wrote:This has never once happened to me, like what the fuck?

Me neither breh, and i've binged on some games. Weird
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Jul 30th, '14, 13:50

Some studies.. :facepalm
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 30th, '14, 15:03

Shpongle wrote:Some studies.. :facepalm

Loool

one thing i do get though, is rage, i've just smashed another £50 PS3 controller, lol. I need to stop playing Blops tbh, fucking lag.

Just turned my laptop on and the screen is fucked, i've had to connect it to my TV. I'm not having a good day with technology :shakehead:
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Jul 30th, '14, 17:18

Yoda wrote:
Shpongle wrote:Some studies.. :facepalm

Loool

one thing i do get though, is rage, i've just smashed another £50 PS3 controller, lol. I need to stop playing Blops tbh, fucking lag.

Just turned my laptop on and the screen is fucked, i've had to connect it to my TV. I'm not having a good day with technology :shakehead:

lol NOOB! :D i get the anger, i get really angry playing some games, specially COD...but:
"This research supports findings of previous studies into game transfer phenomena, which show that videogame playing can induce pseudo hallucinatory-like experiences,"

Thats way too much lol
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Atone » Jul 30th, '14, 18:01

i've definitly had this happen

played Hitman Absolution for days on end when it came out, any time i would stop playing i, if i left my house i'd have strange feelings based on the game, i used to play Just Cuase 2 alot as well, any time i'd leave the house, i'd see a water tower, or a cell phone tower, and think, oh damn i gotta destroy that, or i gotta climb that.

when i used to play midnight club 3, whenever i was in a car with friends i'd get mad if they didn't try to pass other cars or some shit
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 30th, '14, 18:12

Atone wrote:i've definitly had this happen

played Hitman Absolution for days on end when it came out, any time i would stop playing i, if i left my house i'd have strange feelings based on the game, i used to play Just Cuase 2 alot as well, any time i'd leave the house, i'd see a water tower, or a cell phone tower, and think, oh damn i gotta destroy that, or i gotta climb that.

when i used to play midnight club 3, whenever i was in a car with friends i'd get mad if they didn't try to pass other cars or some shit

:laughing: :laughing: Yikes
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Atone » Jul 30th, '14, 18:18

Yoda wrote:
Atone wrote:i've definitly had this happen

:laughing: :laughing: Yikes

It was trippy as fuck, and i was wrong it wasn't Hitman Absolution that caused it, i was palying the hell out of Blood Money on ps2,

but yeah, alot of games do have odd side effects if you play them enough and i can see why video games can take a blame for crimes, although it's the gamers fault they played so long to be drivin into that feeling
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Mr Change » Jul 30th, '14, 18:49

I've played video games my entire life religiously and I don't think this has ever happened to me.
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby gutawafang » Jul 31st, '14, 00:52

It's happened to me before. I played Texas poker on my phone the whole day. i kept hearing the "bell" sound and kept thinking it's my turn to call. I'm serious.
ADD ME ON PS4: gutawafang
Currently playing: Destiny
TR Rap Battle Record: 23-8
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby DetroitSkills » Aug 5th, '14, 00:48

k.
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills