The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Most hated directors

Discuss other aspects to music here along with TV and Movies.

Re: Most hated directors

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 29th, '14, 11:40

I can't remember his name atm but the guy who directed Jurassic Park 3 and ruined it for everyone
S/O to Bizarre for wearing a WonderBra

CanadaPure wrote:Mr Evil and I will have to mud wrestle with Hesky to get him under control
Horse wrote:Evil for 2015 vet
Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Excita » Aug 29th, '14, 11:44

Mr Evil wrote:I can't remember his name atm but the guy who directed Jurassic Park 3 and ruined it for everyone

That was pretty bad of what i remember of.
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guess_Who » Aug 29th, '14, 11:49

I don't know enough about directors to give a proper answer.

But Michael Bay is more predictable than a 10 year old kid directing . Explosions, more explosions and girls running in slow motion..........
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 29th, '14, 15:40

Guess_Who wrote:I don't know enough about directors to give a proper answer.

But Michael Bay is more predictable than a 10 year old kid directing . Explosions, more explosions and girls running in slow motion..........

And yet Transformers 4 still somehow grosses over 1billion at the box office :unsure:

CanadaPure wrote:Mr Evil and I will have to mud wrestle with Hesky to get him under control
Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 29th, '14, 17:16

Calandre wrote:
Mr Evil wrote:
Guess_Who wrote:But Michael Bay is more predictable than a 10 year old kid directing . Explosions, more explosions and girls running in slow motion..........

And yet Transformers 4 still somehow grosses over 1billion at the box office :unsure:

And?
Most of the times there is no relation whatsoever between quality and box ofice

But you think people would catch on and realise that this guy couldn't make a decent movie nowadays if his life depended on it. Like they have with Shyamalan

Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dead prez » Aug 29th, '14, 19:45

I dunno I think the best case scenario for the movie is that it works as a glorified advertisement for the comic to get people who haven't read the comic to check it out. (If they weren't confused by the sloppily intersecting plotlines). Or it's for fans of the comic who don't really care to view it on a critical level (not dissing anyone before anyone gets all butthurt) and just view it at as a nice companion piece for the comic. Like how a fan thinks, "Cool Rorschach finally shown enacting his vigilante justice onscreen :o ".

I think it's a faithful adaptation but really only gets the general plot of the comic, which imo is the least interesting aspect of the book. At it's heart it's a murder mystery, but what makes watchmen interesting is the way it studies and deconstructs the superhero concept, the excerpts which added a tremendous amount of depth to the book, the pirate comic, the interviews, etc. etc. Also I don't know why he thought it was a good idea to make everyone strong enough to knock the fuck out of rhinos with their blows, when really they were pretty weak superheroes in comparison to like batman. Like Terry Gilliam agreed the only way to adapt watchmen is through a mini series (and even than it'd be hard to translate the pirate comic, the way word boxes comment off on another scene, the excerpts, and the whole subtextual shit). The best way to adapt watchmen to the big screen would be to completely make a different adaptation and probably only focus on like rorschach (he's the most interesting character, and just deviate as far from the comic while keeping the essentials).

As for the dark knight trilogy, they weren't really adapting anything other than the batman concept. Sure there were flashes of year one in Batman begins & Dark knight returns in Rises but for the most part they had as much freedom and liberty to do as they please with the character. I still think watchmen is the pinnacle of superherodom and anyone who thinks TDK trilogy is even close to realistic should read it.

The only one aspect I'd say watchmen is overrated in is, people overblowing or saying it ushered in an era of "mature comics" as if it was the first one to explore themes on a mature level and every comic before watchmen was pulp. Hell japan has has mature comics before Watchmen (Akira, Lone Wwolf and Cub, Phoenix, Nausicaa, and in the West you even got a bunch of shit by Moore himself which predates watchmen but is no less mature)
Last edited by dead prez on Aug 29th, '14, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Solace » Aug 29th, '14, 19:54

Mr Evil wrote:But you think people would catch on and realise that this guy couldn't make a decent movie nowadays if his life depended on it. Like they have with Shyamalan

Everybody knows the transformers movies suck but we all go and watch it because its fun
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby dead prez » Aug 29th, '14, 22:16

Godzilla was terrible in hindsight, and yeah I know that for the most part it was formulaic for a Godzilla movie and complainig about the boring human aspect was like complaining about the boring human aspect in most Godzilla movies. But here they decided to focus on the human subplot except it was exceptionally boring and distracted from Godzilla (which was the main fucking reason we watched the movie), by the time the climax arrived and Zilla fought MUTO (was it) I couldn't give no shits about it and just wanted to go home.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 29th, '14, 22:58

I prefer 1998 Godzilla in some ways tbh. I fully acknowledge that it's a horrible flick tho

Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dead prez » Aug 30th, '14, 06:17

The 1998 Zilla had a dumbass quality to it, that made it fun to watch even if it is terribly made movie. The 14 one was just dull and bland, with the most boring protagonist ever.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Mr Evil » Aug 30th, '14, 11:31

It focussed far too much on those other 2 monsters that were destroying the US as well

Mr Evil
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guess_Who » Aug 30th, '14, 11:37

Calandre wrote:
Mr Evil wrote:
Guess_Who wrote:But Michael Bay is more predictable than a 10 year old kid directing . Explosions, more explosions and girls running in slow motion..........

And?
Most of the times there is no relation whatsoever between quality and box ofice

His movies are what we could call popcorn movies. You know you won't see a masterpiece, it's all completely predictable. I don't think Transformers is someone's favorite movie unless is a 10 years old kid.

I watched it. Sometimes you just feel like watching something like that. He often use good music in his movies. I give him that.
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby dead prez » Sep 7th, '14, 03:31

I know we stopped talking about watchmen a while ago, but THIS is what the adaptation should have been like http://io9.com/5638311/the-lost-concept ... s-watchmen, instead of Snyder's borderline autistic reverence and veneration for the GN. Yeah I get it it's almost an entirely different story, and this woulda had even more fanbacklash than Snyder's for deviating so much from the GN. But it'd be similar to Apocalypse Now in that it keeps the concept but changes the setting and reworks to the benefit of the film medium, it'd also be a lot less boring for fans who have already read the comic and just had to deal with mediocre substandard dialogue being regurgitated and forcefed to us in an awkward manner. The fact that it was supposed to be filmed "documentary styled" shows these guys "got" the source material and spirit of the comic. You rly can't adapt watchmen faithfully as a movie since it's a book all about the details which the movie completely missed and focused on the general plot while removing the complex worldbuilding and making every character a boring archetype. The only to adapt the comci faithfully with all it's nuances would be as a mini series and even than the excerpts and pirate comic would be really hard if not impossible to implement.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Raul » Sep 13th, '14, 18:45

I'd say that Bay and Shyamalan are the most hated, but...

Horse wrote:my least favorites are easily Friedberg and Seltzer, the cinematic terrorists

#encorefam
Raul
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Mr Change » Sep 14th, '14, 04:17

Michael Bay is awful and the first two Transformers movies are unwatchable.

imo

And I've never attempted to watch the other ones, because i got a headache an hour into the second transformers movie and never returned to the franchise.
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment