The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Jaba - Trapped (EP) - OUT NOW! (FREE)

The forum for TRshady family audio songs and albums / mixtapes.

Re: Jaba - Trapped (EP) - OUT NOW! (FREE)

Postby Jaba » Sep 9th, '14, 23:31

yung rom wrote:Ight, I'll do a legit review just bc I know how hard you worked on this. Not gonna do a track by track review bc I already spent way too much time on that troll thing, but I can leave you some feedback.

I think you mentioned a couple months ago you'd been rapping for a little under a year, and if that's true props to you. Hearing this, I was reminded of my first album, where my voice sounded a little more similar to yours, quality was similar, and I too used gb loops. My first album was pretty shitty and that's not my way of insulting yours because I think yours is way ahead of mine. Still, my style and everything has changed and improved a lot since I started and I think yours will too.

Your influence of Eminem comes across really strongly in this, especially his MMLP accent, and I think that's something you need to work on. Coming from someone who also rips off Eminem in his songs (to at least some extent), I get how hard it can be to find your "true voice" or whatever bc it's usually not like you're purposely trying to sound like that. Still, if you just keep at it and switching up your styles, you're bound to find it eventually.

I agree with everyone talking about a mic. I think you said over Skype you were using a 10 dollar mic or something. That's fine for just fooling around, but if you really start taking music seriously, I would highly suggest investing in a better mic. I was still able to catch most of what you said, but from what other members are saying, I think it was pretty hard to understand you sometimes. The accent added to that too.

The instrumentals were really good, but I do have a suggestion for whoever made them (Python, I'm guessing..?). All the melodic stuff sounded great, just in a sense of the melodies being cool and the sound seeming full, but the drums seemed in some way repressed, like they were low-qual. Obviously idk your situation for production, but you should try finding some higher quality kits.

I talked a lot about bs concepts in my review, but you still had some good ideas. I think you just need to work on communicating them better, and the whole swearing every line got a little stale after a few songs and made it seem like you didn't have much to talk about. The album also lacked self-awareness, other than the part where you called your past self a "pussy" or whatever. I think that's still something you need to work on, but that may be more of a personal thing rather than rap-related.

Overall, decent effort. I'm not gonna rate this album because people shit all over my first one and made me feel terrible. Almost quit after its release. I don't think its as much as a mess as some people are saying, seeing as its your first project and all, but I think you still have huge room for improvement. Just keep at it bro :y:
I agree with this tbh
Singin' "Bagpipes from Baghdad" again
In my dad's drag draggin' a faggot in a Glad bag
Won't be the last time I make a dramatic entrance like that again
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Forgive me father, for I have sinned
But hip hop has left me brainwashed with a violent streak
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Josh » Sep 11th, '14, 13:55

Aone10 wrote:Here is my review:

This sucked bad. I couldn't listen to more than 15 seconds of each song.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BTT: I like ur beat choice :y:
“In six days God created the heavens and the earth. On the seventh day, Stanley Kubrick sent everything back for modifications.”

#TeamPalvin
#ProtectLoseYourself
Arni da Goat

ImageImage

scrapig wrote:im a sick fuck, just ask Josh.
Josh
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Music_box » Sep 11th, '14, 17:23

Trapped > Encore
#ProtectSSLP
Music_box
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Jaba » Sep 11th, '14, 19:40

Tbh. Reading these reviews, to the people who answered honestly thank you. Props to Python for mixing (he didnt produce any track except Alone). Python you did amazing on mixing! For what u had, I mean fuck, most the beats I rapped on I found on youtube.... so yeah. But anyways, most these reviews and me just re-listening to this whole EP shit has made me want to experiment more, and get a better mic. So if anyone can post mics under 30 or 25 bucks that sound goodn please do so. But, tbh this Trapped EP SUCKED. Only decent song tbh is Trapped. So I am gnna ask Python for a lot of advice on what he thinks of the tracks. I will still be putting out music on here, but I am gnna put out another small ep to see if ppl like my new style (in a few months) before a big LP. Thanks!
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Sep 12th, '14, 03:01

True Wiz wrote:
Jaba wrote:So if anyone can post mics under 30 or 25 bucks that sound good

lol wot

Good mics generally range from $200 - $800 man.

Audio-Technicas are cheaper!
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Solace » Sep 12th, '14, 03:01

I used to record with a $15 dollar mic from The Source/Radioshack and it sounded fine, I barely mixed too. So you should be set with that price range, especially if you begin studying EQ and shit like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R6KjT1FNUc& 3:14

I haven't listened to this tape so I don't know how different it sounds in relation to your vocals but hopefully it was worth the comment
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Atone » Sep 12th, '14, 03:03

lmao, 1st track i clicked was "Night Out" and thought...oh shit, this fucker rick rolled me

and then i switched to another track to see if it was all rick rolls....now i wish it was

kidding, you sound pretty good man
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yung rom » Sep 12th, '14, 03:15

Solace wrote:I used to record with a $15 dollar mic from The Source/Radioshack and it sounded fine, I barely mixed too. So you should be set with that price range, especially if you begin studying EQ and shit like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R6KjT1FNUc& 3:14

I haven't listened to this tape so I don't know how different it sounds in relation to your vocals but hopefully it was worth the comment

is that you?
shit is goat fam
Charlotte wrote:Talk about cringe please, check your own posts in ANY thread.
Charlotte wrote:yung rom living up to his sig
yung rom
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TranSlucEnt » Sep 12th, '14, 05:45

Good work my man :y:
"Soon as my flow starts, I compose art like the ghost of Mozart"

"All that fire in your eyes shows pain, but the flame ain't blue enough"

ImageImage
TranSlucEnt
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TheBoss123 » Sep 12th, '14, 06:46

True Wiz wrote:
Jaba wrote:So if anyone can post mics under 30 or 25 bucks that sound good

lol wot

Good mics generally range from $200 - $800 man.

I dont think he needs to spend that much, I got a pretty decent Mic for $150.

@Jaba
Do what works within your price range, its going to require more mixing and what not the lower sound quality youre inputting. So id eventually work my way up to getting something more expensive, especially if this is something you intend to pursue.
" Life can change your directions, even when you ain't planned it
All you can do it handle it, worst thing you can do is panic
Use it to your advantage, avoid insanity manage
To conquer, every obstacle, make impossible possible
Even when winning illogical, losing is still far from optional.." -T.I.
TheBoss123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Sep 12th, '14, 08:28

That's what they all say.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Eedee » Sep 12th, '14, 08:34

I listened to this, I'll feed it soon.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Jaba » Sep 12th, '14, 17:51

True Wiz wrote:Jaba, I'd remove "© 2014 JabaRecords" from your album art, unless you actually own the copyright. Don't want to get sued.

(Also, you don't want to get sued for not owning "Jaba Records" either.)

its a joke. And I will for now on. Pretty sure no one will care. Also, I CAN really buy a 200 dollar mic, but i dont want to. Rapping is jus something fun I do. I do not wanna be a pro like Eedee or some shit. SO ill probs buy a 15 to 20 dollar mic. Rn i am using my mac book pros mic lol. ill try to pronounce better for now though. And post lyrics.
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jaba » Sep 12th, '14, 19:04

True Wiz wrote:
Jaba wrote:
True Wiz wrote:Jaba, I'd remove "© 2014 JabaRecords" from your album art, unless you actually own the copyright. Don't want to get sued.

(Also, you don't want to get sued for not owning "Jaba Records" either.)

its a joke. And I will for now on. Pretty sure no one will care. Also, I CAN really buy a 200 dollar mic, but i dont want to. Rapping is jus something fun I do. I do not wanna be a pro like Eedee or some shit. SO ill probs buy a 15 to 20 dollar mic. Rn i am using my mac book pros mic lol. ill try to pronounce better for now though. And post lyrics.

Listen man, I'm not trying to be a dick to you anymore. I realise I did take it bit too far with you.
I was just trying to be helpful, as I know how ugly all that can turn. You would be surprised how many hungry (low life) lawyers would be ready to jump on something like that. Same thing happened to me and my (former) company.

Also, I know you don't need a $200 mic, but I was under the impression that you wanted take this serious. I'm a firm believer in using what you've got.

Something like a turtlebeach headset would work pretty well. You can get the old Xbox set for like $40.

I fixed it. do you guys really think I need a new mic that bad? I listen to my stuff and I understand it fine. Do you think I should just try to speak more clearly? Or post lyrics? Or do you really think I should buy a mic?
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mr.DGAF » Sep 12th, '14, 22:27

You should definitely get a new mic.
You'd be surprised...
How many truths you can hide in flows

Quest for Six
Team Emma Stone
Buns till amazing... :')
Mr.DGAF
Renegade
Renegade

Location: In the back seat of your truck, with duct tape stretched out.

PreviousNext

Return to Audio Stage