The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Mastering of Em's albums?

This sub-forum is for videos and footage, content regarding award shows and media, as well as the charting of albums, singles, etc.

Mastering of Em's albums?

Postby Dorian » Aug 18th, '14, 14:07

So, a message to all the Stans here that are collectors or have any knowledge about CDs/LPs:

Do the later CD releases/LPs have different masters than the first presses?

Thanks!

If you remember me (and I think you don't), I posted some vinyl files a while ago. Sadly I lost all of them due to my HDD crash, so I started a "study" on Eminem's better mastered/mixed albums.

:8)
Dorian
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Mastering of Em's albums?

Postby Dorian » Aug 18th, '14, 14:13

True Wiz wrote:No.

They wouldn't go through the time and effort to do that

They would also market it as a remaster, just like they have done for TES recently

Usually, re-masterings are awful.

I noticed something entitled MMLP (audiophile edition) on e-bay a while ago. Thought it was a different thing.
Dorian
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Dorian » Aug 18th, '14, 15:06

^ Totally.

Thanks for clearing it up. So no use to try to get the LP versions of the albums then? Not even for the dynamics?
Dorian
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Dorian » Aug 18th, '14, 15:26

Aone10 wrote:I'm an LP collector myself, but I only purchase original pressings from back when analog equipment was still being used. There is no sonic difference between an LP or a CD that was recorded digitally, which is the case with most albums these days. There are a few bands that still use analog equipment... but they are few.

Apart from being an Eminem fan, I'm also an MJ fan (and collector).

And regarding the digitally recorded albums, I can notice that by comaring LPs and CDs, there's a softer sound to the LP and sometimes the CD ofers and extra punch.
Dorian
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DetroitSkills » Aug 18th, '14, 23:53

2004 sslp remaster :n: :n:
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Dorian » Sep 4th, '14, 09:34

The bad news is, everything comes from compressed masters. This is common for a lot of rap and hip hop music. Now, that being said, there are definite differences for some which I will point out.

Minimal:
1999 Eminem - The Slim Shady LP

These ones I was close to call the same, but on multiple listens it was apparent that the vinyl was just a tiny bit less harsh than the CD in terms of loudness and bass, definitely not too noticeable, but it is there.

Same Sound:

Marshal Matthers LP

This one sounds the exact same as the CD. However, whoever recorded the LP did it at too high of a volume and there are quite a few instances of clipping. It isn't even to change it too significantly, so I am still going with my opinion that it is the same as the CD.

Recovery:

To my ears it's definitely same exact CD masters and limiters, just pressed onto LP.

Decent Differences:

Encore:
The difference in this is quite easy to notice. It is not an insane jump in quality but it is a decent amount different and the vinyl is easily better than the CD. It does not take expert equipment to realize the difference in this one. You can hear the guitar so much clearer in "Toy Soldiers" on the vinyl.

Relapse:

In Deja-Vu, the organ and guitar is just so much clearer sounding on the vinyl than on the CD. The CD this is just muffled sounding. I wouldn't say it's an audiophile pressing or anything, but definitely quite a difference from the CD that is very noticeable.

For the above 2 releases it looks like they went the route that some companies do which is, not use limiters on the vinyl pressings. Limiters are commonly used on CDs since they don't have full dynamic range, so they can be easy to hear even on ****ty 99 cent store headphones. What makes limiters even worse is there are used on already compressed masters that don't even come close to full dynamic range. So with the two above LPs I believe you are getting the same compressed master, but without any limiters, and the sound is noticeably better for it.
Dorian
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby spiel » Sep 12th, '14, 16:55

Japanese SHM CDs are said to have a better sound quality, since they are made of a different and better material than a normal CD. Since I don't have any SHM CDs yet, I can't tell if there are any differences (all albums except "Infinite" are available as SHM CD).
spiel
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Dorian » Oct 3rd, '14, 15:05

spiel wrote:Japanese SHM CDs are said to have a better sound quality, since they are made of a different and better material than a normal CD. Since I don't have any SHM CDs yet, I can't tell if there are any differences (all albums except "Infinite" are available as SHM CD).

Check this:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/w ... st-7245098

Imma do a MMLP2/INFINITE comparison tonight, vinyl vs cd.

I'll come back with more info.
Dorian
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 3rd, '14, 18:42

True Wiz wrote:As a pre-engineer, I take pride in my limiting and miximising. It's audiophiles like you that make me work harder on my craft.

Thank you :)

yw, im abit obsessive with me audiophileness tbh :coffee: aint even mad bout it doe
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Return to Shady Media