The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

TR Poverty Hockey Pool 2014-2015

From basketball to golf, all discussion of sport goes on here.

Re: TR Poverty Hockey Pool 2014-2015

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 3rd, '14, 07:32

CanadaPure wrote:OP updated just w/ the pickuphockey shit.

my dude :wub:
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby runSA » Oct 3rd, '14, 22:08

I think im the only guy in this thread to pick NYR guys
"This world is mine for the taking, make me king as we move toward a new world order"
-Eminem
RIP TR 2005-2014
We live on at http://www.hiphopshelter.com
runSA
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CanadaPure » Oct 3rd, '14, 23:49

I'm gonna win the pool and y'all gon' be sad.

Next year we might be able to go a little more in depth with hits and such being totaled also. I just didn't want to make anything too complicated for the first pool.
That was me in BK on Atlantic. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) BasedSig
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby runSA » Oct 4th, '14, 00:03

CanadaPure wrote:I'm gonna win the pool and y'all gon' be sad.

Next year we might be able to go a little more in depth with hits and such being totaled also. I just didn't want to make anything too complicated for the first pool.

Only problem with the scoring is how little plus/minus means for defensemen
"This world is mine for the taking, make me king as we move toward a new world order"
-Eminem
RIP TR 2005-2014
runSA
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CanadaPure » Oct 4th, '14, 00:16

runSA wrote:

+/- in general is an awful stat, we'll see how it impacts the outcome of the pool this year and if it doesn't seem to be working it can always be removed.
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby CanadaPure » Oct 4th, '14, 01:18

bigray wrote:
runSA wrote:

What do you mean?

I think he means that the scoring system is balanced in a way that +/- isn't weighed very heavily for defense. It's only worth one point, just like with forwards, even though a lot of people judge defensemen based on their +/-.

That is by design though. I find +/- to be a fairly irrelevant stat. More important, if you're talking about defensive defensemen, would be their giveaway:takeaway ratio and plenty of other things. +/- is something that can be entirely separated from how you're playing just based on things like timing (stepping on the ice as a goal is scored), etc.
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 4th, '14, 01:28

CanadaPure wrote:
runSA wrote:

+/- in general is an awful stat, we'll see how it impacts the outcome of the pool this year and if it doesn't seem to be working it can always be removed.

plus minus is a dumb stat :laughing: srsly a dude can just get on the ice for his shift n take a minus so dumb
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby CanadaPure » Oct 4th, '14, 01:47

bigray wrote:I don't really mind the +/- stat. I understand that sometimes a player could be a -3 one night and all the goals that went in was not his fault at all. I can tell you that when a player is like a -30 by the end of the season that something is wrong with their defence game because Jason Spezza, Milan Michalek and Erik Karlsson were all heavy minus players last year and their defence game was poor. No back checking, they didn't play hard , you'd seen them float on the ice and not in the game, they'd make poor decisions with the puck and would cost us a goal etc etc you know, a really poor defensive game and that's where I think that +/- may be important in some cases.

Oh yeah, it's a stat that can be telling. Like, Edlers horrible +/- last year was directly related to how awful he was defensively. But it can also be taken out of context for some players, and that's why it's not weighted as heavily.
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 4th, '14, 01:50

speaking of plus/minus i tried to play right side defense on eashl last night... LEL never again theres a reason im only a goalie n RW, i was all over i have no idea how to man that postition... you never realize how different a switch from forward to defense is until u switch tbh, i give props to those guys who can play both :b:
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 4th, '14, 01:55

bigray wrote:I'm talking about real hockey and not the pool. I think you're talking about the pool, the way you setup the pool is perfect imo.

i think were all on the same page talkin bout real hockey
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 4th, '14, 01:59

im a goalie when i play, or a wing man usually a guy who plays to the sides n picks a corner on the net haha, but thats only if someone else wants to goalie. im naturally a goaltender tho, been playing that position since i was 5, i needa get back into playing, i miss my love for it
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 4th, '14, 02:03

bigray wrote:Sens vs Habs preseason on right now....game tied at one.

watchin wings vs toronto
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby CanadaPure » Oct 4th, '14, 02:04

bigray wrote:Playing hockey is so fun. I play ball hockey and I usually play on the wing. I'm a play maker/pass first type guy, I can still shoot though.

I'm in a ball hockey league right now, I usually play right defense. Last night only three defensemen on our team could play, the rest were sick, so I ended up playing 55 minutes total. I was so tired after. I'm more of a shutdown type guy, and I block a tonne of shots, but I have a nice wrist shot and a good slapshot.

My first pass is okay, but its always been my weak point. I rely on my strength and positioning the most since all the other defensemen on my team (aside from my normal partner, but he was sick last game) are all over the map.

Also, I'm team captain this year which is dope.
CanadaPure
Cumlord Mila
Cumlord Mila

Postby runSA » Oct 4th, '14, 02:04

I really wish I played hockey competivly as a little kid so I could be on my school team now. It would've been so sick. But instead I chose football which don't get me wrong i love playing but hockey just seems to be so fun to play
-Eminem
RIP TR 2005-2014
runSA
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DetroitSkills » Oct 4th, '14, 02:06

CanadaPure wrote:
bigray wrote:Playing hockey is so fun. I play ball hockey and I usually play on the wing. I'm a play maker/pass first type guy, I can still shoot though.

I'm in a ball hockey league right now, I usually play right defense. Last night only three defensemen on our team could play, the rest were sick, so I ended up playing 55 minutes total. I was so tired after. I'm more of a shutdown type guy, and I block a tonne of shots, but I have a nice wrist shot and a good slapshot.

My first pass is okay, but its always been my weak point. I rely on my strength and positioning the most since all the other defensemen on my team (aside from my normal partner, but he was sick last game) are all over the map.

Also, I'm team captain this year which is dope.

i fuckin applaud you, defense is hard af imo, especially the positioning imo but this coming from a guy who never plays d lol
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Arena