The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Yelawolf Talks About Love Story, Being "Slumerican" & More.

Everything related to the record label Shady Records, including Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf.

Yelawolf Talks About Love Story, Being "Slumerican" & More.

Postby Mike_88 » Oct 31st, '14, 16:10

Austin360: The first time I saw you was at a day party during SXSW 2010. It was at this rooftop club and you were jumping on tables and walls. I remember watching you and thinking ‘This dude is about to blow up.’

Yelawolf: I definitely put a stamp down for myself at Southby. Especially at that point with “Trunk Music” just circulating. My mixtape “Trunk Music” and “Pop the Trunk” was out. I really came to Southby that year in a very competitive mind state. I mean, I’m always competitive with other artists but I came in 2010 to prove a point to other rappers and other performers, to take the show that I had been doing in Atlanta and locally in the South and bring it out here where there was a lot of other artists, a lot of other labels and a lot of other crews. (To show) this is how we do it. It’s just that gutter dive bar show mentality.

I used to play at this place called Lenny’s in Atlanta, Georgia and we wore that place out. We probably performed there every other week. We were just a local group and we promoted our own shows and we brought our own crew. It got to the point where we had a couple kids, just clowning, but (they) would wear helmets to the shows. It was just really, really rowdy. It was a lot of fun. But there was not always a lot of people. So it was like training for me. My manager still, to this day, if we’re about to do a show and it’s kind of suspect, he’ll be like, “Let’s do Lenny’s man, just remember Lenny’s.” And I do. I always come back to that and just remember coming from that empty room, maybe 15-20 people but us just tearing it up as a crew and having fun.

(2010) was definitely a turning point. After SXSW we had a deal with Interscope that Friday, I think.

What does ‘Slumerican’ mean?

Slumerican is just a tag that I threw on a culture that’s been here forever. Slumerican is the kid who listens to Hank Williams and A$ap, Metallica and NWA. The unassuming fan. The people from the tattoo shops with the Dixie flags that are playing Outkast. It’s that dichotomy, that irony of America, the underbelly. (more in the video above)

The fan has made a big turning point in the last five to ten years. Hip hop music in general is becoming more what you make of it. “Til It’s Gone” is a good example of like the cultural representation of what I make of hip-hop. In 2010 I was wearing Jordans, now I’m wearing cowboy boots. My style is ever evolving and growing up but still maintaining the integrity of hip-hop and rock ‘n’ roll and country. That’s what Slumerican is to me, being able to jump on my Harley and ride with my boys just like my dad does and still, at the same time, be able to go to a Three 6 Mafia show.

The song just kind of happened. It’s not like an attempted direction. It’s kind of a blend of all the styles I’ve played with throughout the years. I’ve done some really country influenced records and I’ve done some really stripped down raw hip hop records. I’ve done a lot of heavily rock ‘n’ roll influenced records so “Til It’s Gone” is just like a stripped down version of all of that. Like a blend really. A simple version of it. It’s just a swampy sounding jam.

When is the new album “Love Story” coming out?

Love Story will be out next year but we’re being careful, I guess, about how we’re releasing this album. We have like five singles we’re gonna be releasing with five videos. (We’re holding) until that last single release then the album will drop. I haven’t honestly been paying attention to that side of (things). It doesn’t concern me because I’m more focused on the next record, the next video, tour, tour, tour, tour, tour.

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2014/10 ... lumerican/

Rest In Peace, "Love Story". He doesn't even give fuck about his own album now :facepalm2
Mike_88
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Yelawolf Talks About Love Story, Being "Slumerican" & Mo

Postby Mike_88 » Oct 31st, '14, 18:14

Aone10 wrote:
That’s what Slumerican is to me, being able to jump on my Harley and ride with my boys just like my dad does and still, at the same time, be able to go to a Three 6 Mafia show.

Damn, that resonates deeply with me. :'(

And relax, it's not that he doesn't care about his album anymore.... he's just done with it and he's working on the next project (which is not a bad thing at all). Love Story is in the hands of the record label now and they decide when to release it. Hopefully it'll be first quarter 2015.

Hope you're right, man. :unsure:
Mike_88
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rafael » Oct 31st, '14, 18:39

So there's another single coming out after Whiskey In a Bottle?

And five videos? There's only been 3 filmed.

This is gonna take a while..
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Mr Change » Nov 1st, '14, 03:49

YeLawolf
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Jaba » Nov 1st, '14, 17:48

Wait... SO he doesnt even care about the album now? He's focusing on the next? I guess thats good but it doesnt really show that he is proud or anything of what he made...
Singin' "Bagpipes from Baghdad" again
In my dad's drag draggin' a faggot in a Glad bag
Won't be the last time I make a dramatic entrance like that again
You thought I was lyin' when I said I think that I'm crossin' the line again
I've lost my mind, caution oh God I think I've just thought of another fucking line
Forgive me father, for I have sinned
But hip hop has left me brainwashed with a violent streak
Jaba
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rafael » Nov 1st, '14, 19:20

Jaba wrote:Wait... SO he doesnt even care about the album now? He's focusing on the next? I guess thats good but it doesnt really show that he is proud or anything of what he made...

Did you even read the article? Or even Aone's post?

He's not concerned over the commercial side of things (single drops/release dates) He's extremely proud of the material on Love Story.
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Rafael » Nov 1st, '14, 19:36

Anyhow, here's a beat from the early Love Story sessions. Fucking blissful.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHt8Vf1VboQ

Hope it lands the album. :flutter:
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby heisselhoff » Nov 1st, '14, 19:46

I think Shady Records is the worst label Yela could end up on...honestly...he's able to work on albums and other projects quickly but he has to wait forever for one fuckin' release date. I'm not sure if those few tracks with Eminem help him to get the attention he deserves or would get himself on another label with an album/some projects out every year.
heisselhoff
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Mike_88 » Nov 1st, '14, 20:07

Rafael wrote:Anyhow, here's a beat from the early Love Story sessions. Fucking blissful.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHt8Vf1VboQ

Hope it lands the album. :flutter:

Sounds great. Almost forgot about that one.
Mike_88
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TheGentlePlayer » Nov 3rd, '14, 04:10

Damn
I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it.
Spent a million a track and went over my budget.
Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt?
I can't rap anymore, I just murdered the alphabet.
TheGentlePlayer
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Trey » Nov 4th, '14, 01:36

Well I can say now with 100% certainty that I am Slumerican.
www.reddit.com/r/slumerican
http://www.reddit.com/r/slumerican

Trey Cox Graphics • facebook.com/treycox1 • @treycox57 • #EMINEM #MMLP2 #SHADYXV #YELAWOLF #LOVESTORY
Trey
Soldier
Soldier

Postby killshady » Nov 4th, '14, 18:27

In 2010, when i listen "Trunk Music", i said - this is be cool, if Shady Records also sign his, like Interscope, under Shady/Interscope, with BIG Promo from Eminem and artists on label like 50, D12...

But who knows in 2010, what all Shady projects flop and ShadyXV also can flop...

Yella need leave from Shady and be only on Interscope, without Shady. Shady -> new Death Row.
Image Image Image Image
killshady
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby AnAngryBlonde » Nov 4th, '14, 19:03

killshady wrote:In 2010, when i listen "Trunk Music", i said - this is be cool, if Shady Records also sign his, like Interscope, under Shady/Interscope, with BIG Promo from Eminem and artists on label like 50, D12...

But who knows in 2010, what all Shady projects flop and ShadyXV also can flop...

Yella need leave from Shady and be only on Interscope, without Shady. Shady -> new Death Row.

Considering the fact that Yela has said he loves being on Shady and vented his issues with interscope, it would seem that Interscope is more of the problem. With that in mind, I really doubt that being just on Interscope would make things any better. Could be wrong, but I doubt any of us has any true idea on what's going on anyway.
I'm tryna clean up my fuckin' image so I promised the fuckin' critics
I wouldn't say fuckin' for six minutes (Six minutes, Slim Shady, you're on)
My baby's mom, bitch made me an angry blonde
So I made me a song, killed her and put Hailie on
AnAngryBlonde
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Kali » Nov 5th, '14, 14:26

inb4 Yelawolf ft. Rihanna
#EncoreFam #KanyeFam
Kali
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Rafael » Nov 5th, '14, 15:49

Kali wrote:inb4 Yelawolf ft. Rihanna

Wouldn't mind tbh

It'll be a feature than gains him major exposure and it'll stay true to his craft, since he has stated he didn't compromise on Love Story at all.

Would prefer Yela ft. Ed Sheeran better though, since they have great chemistry and he's huge right now.
Rafael
Slumerican
Slumerican

Return to Shady Records